PDA

View Full Version : Ahh... a new ingot form... mini-loaf pan

DEVERS454
05-20-2006, 10:41 PM
I was at the food store and found a really neat little "mini loaf" pan that has 8 rectangles with excellent drift angles.

It produces ingots right at 4lbs with pure lead, or 3.5 lbs with Lyman #2 if you fill it 1/4" below the top.

I didnt' bother to "season" it at all and just used it as is... PERFECT!!!

Ingots fit into my Lee 20lb (which really only holds 17 lbs) pot as well as my 10lb. (well, the smaller pot requires a bit of a tilt until the material is melted through)

Also, the lip around the cavities is narrow enough so that it just fits under the spigot of the 20 lb Lee pot. (which is also where I do all my alloying to start with)

4 hours later, 90 lbs of clean alloy... Need a few more runs to get to my goal of 300 lbs of the stuff.

Buckshot
05-21-2006, 05:06 AM
...............Ya mean like this?

http://www.fototime.com/432F142B09E587B/standard.jpg

................Buckshot

Newtire
05-21-2006, 09:43 AM
I was at the food store and found a really neat little "mini loaf" pan that has 8 rectangles with excellent drift angles.

It produces ingots right at 4lbs with pure lead, or 3.5 lbs with Lyman #2 if you fill it 1/4" below the top.

I didnt' bother to "season" it at all and just used it as is... PERFECT!!!

Ingots fit into my Lee 20lb (which really only holds 17 lbs) pot as well as my 10lb. (well, the smaller pot requires a bit of a tilt until the material is melted through)

Also, the lip around the cavities is narrow enough so that it just fits under the spigot of the 20 lb Lee pot. (which is also where I do all my alloying to start with)

4 hours later, 90 lbs of clean alloy... Need a few more runs to get to my goal of 300 lbs of the stuff.
OK...which food store has this? Albertson's? Ralph's? (not Safeway, I looked). I'll go get the car warmed up...

redneckdan
05-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I tried borrowing my girlfriend's muffin tin last night. She was okay with it until she figured out what i was up to.:groner:

DEVERS454
05-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Buckshot,

That is EXACTLY what I was using...

FANTASTIC size and depth. I can fill 4 of the cavities with just a bit more going into a Lee ingot mold before the pot is empty. I took the rest of my little molds and recast those into the bigger molds.

Alot easier to manipulate and mange a 3.5lb ingot than a bunch of silly 1 lb bars or the massive 5lb units. I got a stack of 30 of them in my basement with (hopefully) another 30 on the way. 200 lbs of alloy should keep me in stitches for a few months. (I ran through 45 lbs of alloy this winter casting for 454 casull and 45lc... a few 357s and 38-55s in there as well)

Dale53
05-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Which store has these for sale and how much? Inquiring minds need to know...
Good picture, by the way...

Dale53

Buckshot
05-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Which store has these for sale and how much? Inquiring minds need to know...
Good picture, by the way...

Dale53

..............Since I abhor Wal-Mart and refuse to go there, I have to admit that's where they were. I was dragged along by the wifely unit on a safari to find (I forget what) and she decided Wally Mart might have it, so short of divorce I went in with her. While sulking and schlepping along behind her (women can get So energized while shopping) she was brought to an abrupt halt by some other female shopper who left her cart in the middle of the isle, while mesmerized by some Asian import *** on a nearby shelf.

Having not much else to do during the pile up, I glanced around and there they were, right at my elbow. IIRC they were about $7 each so I picked up 2 of'em. Donna saw me pick them up and said, "Ingot moulds?"

BTW, since the place is a 24 hour deal I swear there are people who actually live there. At least it appears so to me.

................Buckshot

threett1
05-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Yep, been using one one those type thingys for years.:castmine:

Dale53
05-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Buckshot;
Thanks for the information. I know it HURT to admit you were in Wally World.:mrgreen:

I just might have to drop in myself. Sure can't argue with the price and utility factor.

Note to the rest:
Don't get rid of your other ingot moulds. It is VERY helpful to have a variety of sizes when you mix alloy. I am currently using 5 lb, 1 lb, and 1/2 lb. ingot moulds. If I need 12.5 lbs of WW, I can just pick up the correct ingots and be close. I like to keep my alloys close to spec. for specific purposes.

Dale53

HTRN
05-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Buckshot, I too have bought my ingot pans there(I've only bought 3 things in Walmart in my entire life, and two of those were for casting!), except I'm using much bigger individual ones something like $3/3pack. They cast roughly an 8lb ingot. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why the ingots were coming out pockmarked until somebody here mentioned outgassing of the teflon coating. They don't look pretty, but they're good enough as ingots.

HTRN

freddyp
05-29-2006, 09:45 PM
If you spray the muffin pans with mold release from Midway. they will fill-out perfect. I too had the same problem until I sprayed them.

Dale53
05-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, my local Wal-Marts did NOT have the ingot mould (small mini loaf pans).

Hopefully, they will be available somewhere... I don't REALLY need them but would be a nice add'l tool.

Dale53

Newtire
05-30-2006, 08:39 AM

Hopefully, they will be available somewhere... I don't REALLY need them but would be a nice add'l tool.

Dale53
They have the steel, teflon coated ones at our local K-mart'e. They are Martha Stewart's own brand so naturally cost a bit more. At $14.00 each, I wince! Maybe if they had an embossed signature of Martha on the bottom or Lee or Saeco...

ANeat
06-09-2006, 03:57 PM

Dale53

Dale; Ive noticed tha same thing, Wal Mart dont have them. Krogers have a similar pan for 8.99 :roll: I checked at K-Mart and there 13.99 like Newtire mentioned:(
Looks like Krogers may be the one to get.

Adam

sundog
06-09-2006, 04:05 PM
At that price I think I'll keep using my "Silver Bullets" (Coors Lights cans) cut in half or top third lopped off. I can still recycle the aluminium after it's peeled off. $8.99 for a twelve pack, cold icy brew while I'm smelting, and free, recylable ingot moulds, to boot! What a deal! sundog

bobbalee
06-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Sundog- Master of Innovation

Jetwrench
06-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Sundog,
I use Bud Light and a kitchen can opener, use the whole can. Down here in Louisiana we got 10oz 12oz 16oz and 24oz, hate the smell of paint burning off though. JETWRENCH

sundog
06-20-2006, 04:36 PM
JETWRENCH, when I was down there years ago (England AFB), Falstaff was still operating. Do you remember the 14-oz cans?

I tried it with a bottle too, but it's too hard to get in and you sure as heck can't peel it off. sundog

Jetwrench
06-21-2006, 01:24 AM
Sundog,
I rember Falstaff but was too young to drink at the time so I dont rember the size. But I also worked at EAFB, but as a civi on comercial jets in the three hangars on the east side of the ramp and the two hangars on the north side, also for the USMS in one hangar on the northwest side of the control tower. When were you there? Jetwrench