PDA

View Full Version : detent ball for windage knob on Redfield Rear Sight

bruce drake
05-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know the size of the detent ball on a Redfield Rear Sight's windage Knob. My rifle's windage knob flew off on the 41st round of a 80 round match this morning. I've recovered the windage knob but the detent ball is history and I don't have a parts diagram to refer too.

Bruce

P.S. I DNFed the match because the rifle's recoil was making the windage screw move during each shot. Not the way I wanted to start this year's Highpower Season.:groner:

RayO
05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Which sight are you using,Olympic,International?I can check for you.Somewhere in my shop I have some detent balls I got from Redfield.I just have to find them.

bruce drake
05-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Ray,

I ordered the 1/16th size detent balls from Brownells yesterday. We'll see if they fit when they come in. I'm not sure exactly what model Redfield it is. It's 1/4 in clicks for wind and elev but it isnt a Palma style sight. I think it was Redfield's hunting or bargain style sight before they stopped making them. I got it for 30 on E-bay and it has been a great sight up until then.

Bruce

Frank46
05-23-2006, 03:19 AM
Bruce, I seem to remember either 3/32" or 5/32". I believe brownell's does sell a detent ball kit with different size balls. Hope this helps. Frank

hiram
05-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I have a sight, not redfield, that uses a 3/32" ball and spring. If the size you need is 3/32, you can take apart an old lock cylinder. Use a short bottom pin which has a point on it as the ball and use the spring on top of the top pin. The spring tension isn't as firm, but its a quick fix until you order the 3/32 kit from Brownells.

RayO
05-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Bruce,

I checked a detent ball from a Redfield sight that I have and it mics. out at .078 or 5/64".Numrich lists replacements on thier websight. Look under Sights and Components.The part number is 54120,set of 3 for $1.30.

bruce drake
05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Thank You RayO,

I'll look into ordering that detent from Numrich.

Bruce

bruce drake
05-31-2006, 08:57 AM
I got my rifle fixed with a hint from Hiram.

The pin from a key lock fit just fine. I just had to dremel an old lock apart and slip the pin right in.

Of course this was done a day before Brownells delivered the same size detent balls but I figured I'd tell others in case their Redfield's blow up in the future.

Bruce