PDA

View Full Version : primers today

odis
12-15-2009, 09:05 PM
I live in Minnesota and this past year I have been buying primers and powder from a so called "mom and pop" gun store in Superior Wisc. They were restricting the sales to 500 primers max at a time. I wouldn't even look at the price till the other day when they restricted me to 300 small pistol at $4.50 a hundred. I have no other option at the head of the lakes since the only other source is Gander mountain and earlier this summer they told me that their corporate headquarters was cutting them off, plus I have always deplored corporate operations like Gander and Cabelas. Well today I drove for two and a half hours to Scheels in St. Cloud and walked out with among other things 3000 primers split equally between small pistol small rifle and large rifle at 35 bucks per 1000, I thought about Lloyd Smales post the other day all the way home and it really sucks to be held captive like that, the manager of the gun shop at Scheels informed me that unlike Gander they are on their own to stock and set prices so he's looking all the time and selling at a fair price, the only restriction is no more than 1000 of each brand. I find that very "mom and pop" for a corporate operation. odis

Super38
12-15-2009, 09:09 PM
You may want to purchase the primers online. Even with the hazmat fees, it's considerably less expensive and some of the limitations are less restrictive.

Good luck

odis
12-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Do you have any suggestions as to who to order from? I just looked at Midway and virtually every thing was out of stock and no back order, plus the costs weren't that good and the haz mat fees were $22.50 per order.

wistlepig1
12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
If this is any help Wideners has Wolf primers in all sizes, split the HAZ with a shooting buddy or two. Less than $30/1000, I have used only their SR with no problem as of yet. Shot 200 so far. Hope this helps

http://www.wideners.com/

Crash_Corrigan
12-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I jst ordered 15K primers from Widners at 137 per 5K. I suspect we aren't gonna see primers ever again for less than 25 per K.

mike in co
12-15-2009, 10:14 PM
If this is any help Wideners has Wolf primers in all sizes, split the HAZ with a shooting buddy or two. Less than $30/1000, I have used only their SR with no problem as of yet. Shot 200 so far. Hope this helps

http://www.wideners.com/

your math is kinda funny...please add the shipping and hazmat to that per 1000 price and see where you are.

in todays market 35 is very good

mike in co

870TC
12-15-2009, 10:14 PM
In Mpls/St.Paul area you are limited to 300 of each, prices are around $3.50 a hundred. The gun shop owners say that is the only way they can keep primers on the shelf. This way everyone can get "something", and keep reloading/shooting. Occasionally a few primers show up at a gun show but most of those are from someones old stock pile from the last time this happened.

Lead Fred
12-15-2009, 11:19 PM
15k primers, you are so on someones watch list

odis
12-15-2009, 11:20 PM
In Mpls/St.Paul area you are limited to 300 of each, prices are around $3.50 a hundred. The gun shop owners say that is the only way they can keep primers on the shelf. This way everyone can get "something", and keep reloading/shooting. Occasionally a few primers show up at a gun show but most of those are from someones old stock pile from the last time this happened.If you live in the Twin Cities area then St. Cloud is not far. Call Scheels first and check on their stock before you go and you will be able to get more than 300 at a time.

opentop
12-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I bought 2000 Winchester Large rifle primer a few weeks ago from a mom and pop store at 27.00 per 1000.

The owner told me I had better take them while he had them. Didn't take much arm twisting for me to take them home.

That was all the primers he had in the store.

odis
12-16-2009, 12:18 AM
I bought 2000 Winchester Large rifle primer a few weeks ago from a mom and pop store at 27.00 per 1000.

The owner told me I had better take them while he had them. Didn't take much arm twisting for me to take them home.

That was all the primers he had in the store.Don't get me wrong I prefer to do all of my shopping in a mom and pop store for anything. This particular store is gouging and I was quite taken aback with the good service at Scheels.

VintageRifle
12-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I was buying 1000 primers for $25.99 as of last month. However, this month the same dealer raised his prices to $39.99/1000. This was at a gunshow where primers had been seen priced at $80/1000 and sold at that price as well. Seemed the average price this last month was $45/1000.

They guy selling them for $25.99/1000 sold out fast in the first hour or less. This time, he sat on them until I left the show (about 4 hours later). Seems he has been the go to guy, but now wasn't selling much.

knifemaker
12-16-2009, 05:45 AM
You guys may want to look at my post in this forum concerning the possibilty of getting a bad batch of CCI primers that my son bought about one month ago. I had 12 failed to fire rounds out of 20 rounds that I was testing for accuracy. I was able to rule out any fault of the firearm and plan to pull the shells apart and try to examine the primers for possble missing anvil or primer compound.

Super38
12-16-2009, 09:20 AM
It's almost less expensive to buy loaded ammo.

Super38

VintageRifle
12-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Back in April I placed an order for 10K of CCI large rifle primers from grafs. Today I got notice that they are getting ready to ship them. Long backorder, but I will be set for primers for awhile. About $23.40/1000 this way.

Not sure if they will have any extras to post on their website. Been watching my order and they have always been sold as soon as they trucks hit the loading bays.

mike in co
12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
You guys may want to look at my post in this forum concerning the possibilty of getting a bad batch of CCI primers that my son bought about one month ago. I had 12 failed to fire rounds out of 20 rounds that I was testing for accuracy. I was able to rule out any fault of the firearm and plan to pull the shells apart and try to examine the primers for possble missing anvil or primer compound.

you should wait till you have some FACTS to back up the issue prior to making a post like this.

mike in co

mike in co
12-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Back in April I placed an order for 10K of CCI large rifle primers from grafs. Today I got notice that they are getting ready to ship them. Long backorder, but I will be set for primers for awhile. About $23.40/1000 this way.

Not sure if they will have any extras to post on their website. Been watching my order and they have always been sold as soon as they trucks hit the loading bays.

it is nice if they honor an april price, but most dealers cannot buy them cheap enough to sell at that price...and again add the shipping and hazmat to the cost.

add 2.25 to each k in a 10 k buy. plus what ever the shipping cost.

mike in co

waksupi
12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
you should wait till you have some FACTS to back up the issue prior to making a post like this.

mike in co

Agreed. Most FTF's from CCI, comes from incorrect seating of the primer. The CCI primer cup has a sharper edge than other brands, requiring slightly more seating pressure. I experienced the same problem, contacted CCI directly, and the techrep clued me in on the facts. After I knew that, I never had any more problems with thier primers.

rockrat
12-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Try powdervalleyinc.com

BD
12-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I just opened an email from Natchez yesterday that said they had CCI 450's in stock. Of course by the time I opened it they were out again. It's the second time that's happened. I wish they'd let me pay up and backorder them.

Bad primers are rare, but do happen. About ten years ago bought 1,000 CCI large pistol primers only to find out that they wouldn't feed through my Pro-Jector. it turned out that the anvils weren't inserted far enough to clear the primer feed. They worked just fine, but I had to seat them on the rock chucker one at a time. I am slowly working my way through another funky lot of 5,000 CCI's which have taller cups than normal. I can load them on the rock chucker by slightly crushing them as I seat them, otherwise they will not seat flush and they also tie up the progressive press. I spent about 4 hours miking a representative sample of 100 of these and then went back and forth with CCI for a few days. The end result is that CCI told me that the dimensions "were within the allowable tolerances". The idea that cups tall enough to require flattening to get them flush are OK by CCI did not impress me much, but it is what it is. Actually because I've been avoiding using that lot it means that I still do have some LP primers, even if they're a bit of a PITA to load.

I can't even say how many other CCI primers I've popped with no problems, but it's been quite a few.

BD

AZ-Stew
12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
...I have always deplored corporate operations like Gander and Cabelas... odis

Like Cabela's or not, I ordered some Remingtom SR Benchrest primers from them in July. They were delivered in August (5 weeks) and cost $31/1000. $20 hazmat, $5 shipping (special offer). I also ordered a pound of BLC-2 for about $20 at the same time. It shipped 5 weeks after the primers and on the same single shipping and hazmat fee for both shipments. In my book, that's hard to beat.

Regards,

Stew

threett1
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Ordered some Wolf from powder Valley The first of this month. They were short on small primers, but got 3K LR and 2K LP for $160 total.

VintageRifle
12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
it is nice if they honor an april price, but most dealers cannot buy them cheap enough to sell at that price...and again add the shipping and hazmat to the cost.

add 2.25 to each k in a 10 k buy. plus what ever the shipping cost.

mike in co

The price I mentioned above included the hazmat fee and shipping costs. They have been listed in my order history since April 17, 2009 as backordered. I would assume they would honor the price when the backorder was placed. Will know shortly.

"Status: Processed
Time: Apr 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Payment Method: Credit Card
Products:
CCI PRIMER 200 LARGE RIFLE 5000/cs
Item Number: CCI200 · Quantity in Cart: 2 · Price: $109.99
PRVI BRASS 7.5x55 SWISS UNPRIMED PER 100
Item Number: PPU75X55 · Quantity in Cart: 1 · Price: $41.99
Subtotal: $261.97
Hazmat Fee: $22.50
Handling & Insurance: $4.50
Total: $288.97"

VintageRifle
12-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Well, just a few moments after posting the above comments, I got a tracking number for the primers. With the hazmat fee and shipping they came out to be $121.24/5000. Got the April 17th pricing.

mike in co
12-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I just opened an email from Natchez yesterday that said they had CCI 450's in stock. Of course by the time I opened it they were out again. It's the second time that's happened. I wish they'd let me pay up and backorder them.

Bad primers are rare, but do happen. About ten years ago bought 1,000 CCI large pistol primers only to find out that they wouldn't feed through my Pro-Jector. it turned out that the anvils weren't inserted far enough to clear the primer feed. They worked just fine, but I had to seat them on the rock chucker one at a time. I am slowly working my way through another funky lot of 5,000 CCI's which have taller cups than normal. I can load them on the rock chucker by slightly crushing them as I seat them, otherwise they will not seat flush and they also tie up the progressive press. I spent about 4 hours miking a representative sample of 100 of these and then went back and forth with CCI for a few days. The end result is that CCI told me that the dimensions "were within the allowable tolerances". The idea that cups tall enough to require flattening to get them flush are OK by CCI did not impress me much, but it is what it is. Actually because I've been avoiding using that lot it means that I still do have some LP primers, even if they're a bit of a PITA to load.

I can't even say how many other CCI primers I've popped with no problems, but it's been quite a few.

BD

bd...i almost always apply some crush when installing a primer...but to be required to crush to stay below case face sounds strange.

i was taught to always apply a slight crush on installation....

mike in co

mike in co
12-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Well, just a few moments after posting the above comments, I got a tracking number for the primers. With the hazmat fee and shipping they came out to be $121.24/5000. Got the April 17th pricing.

ya did good..
and good on the dealer for honoring the price

mike in co

BD
12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Mike,
I've copied my exchange with CCI below. To use lot #D08 i have to seat them firmly and then look at each one and apply enough crush to get them flush. Depending on the particular case this will occasionally "top hat" the primer in a .45 acp case. A PITA in any event. I'm not particularly down on CCI, but they have the same kind of QC issues that any outfit can have.

BD

RE: cci-ammunition.com - Ask CCI
Thu, April 26, 2007 8:01:00 PM
William Dallam <w_dallam@yahoo.com> [Chat now]
View Contact
To: cciexpert <cciexpert@ATK.com>
Coy,
I am measuring with a digital caliper as the blade on my blade mic is not thin enough to get between the legs of an assembled primer. I should probably pull a few apart and measure them with the blade mic. Irregardless of the actual measurement, my lot #JO5H CCI primers will seat OK, My Winchester primers will seat OK and this week I bought 1,000 Federal Large Pistol primers and they seat OK. Unfortunately the CCI lot # DO8M will not seat flush unless I crush them. I've been at this awhile, honest. My .45 acp range brass is mixed. I looked at a box of fifty tonight and there's 12 different headstamps in that box and they all have CCI lot #JO5H primers seated in them just fine. I'll let you know what I find when I pull the anvils out of a few and get good measurements.
Bill Dallam

cciexpert <cciexpert@ATK.com> wrote:

Bill: the measurement of the cup (between the anvil legs) should be 0.112" +/- 0.004, if you have measured correctly at 0.1115" the primer cup is in-spec. The assembled height (bottom of cup to top of anvil) should measure 0.117" to 0.125" to meet Industry Standard. It would appear that the primers meet Industry Specification, check the primer pockets for size, they should be 0.117" to 0.123" deep. Also, check for burrs on the primer insertion portion of the press.
Shoot Straight!
Coy Getman
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
(800) 627-3640
CCI/Speer Technical Coordinator

HORNET
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Seating a .125 high primer in a .117 deep pocket would be .008 of crush. Seems like quite a bit to me. Sometimes tolerance stackups WILL bite you. I had a batch of Remington .270 cases that had pockets at the shallow end. I ended up recutting the pockets with a primer pocket uniformer. I wish now that I hadn't done that. They should have worked great with LP primers in milder cast loads...

870TC
12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Odis, thanks for the tip. Sent my brother to Scheels and got 2 thousand small pistol primers $34.99 per. And nothing mentioned about a limit.

sagacious
12-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Just curious... what happened to all the folks who loudly wailed-- no, insisted-- that reloading components would NEVER come down in price, and that reloading component availability would NEVER return to normal? Hmmm. :groner: Just makes ya wonder sometimes.

Glad you got your primers.