PDA

View Full Version : 1894 cb 32 magnum

Woolybooger
05-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Should pick up my 32, Monday if everything goes right. I have a Marbles tang sight and some other odds and ends ordered from Midway that should be here Monday also. A 100 311419 and 100 RCBS 100 32 loaded up waiting. I'm all a flutter. Hope it shoots as well as my other Marlins. I love the 32 in my Rugers but have not tried a rifle yet. Any of you fellers have experiance with the Marlin 32 mag? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
WB

Dale53
05-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I do not have a .32 H&R Marlin, as yet, but DO have a TC 22" Carbine in .32 H&R Magnum. It shoots really well, better than I had hoped. I have mostly used the .314"x120 gr GB mould. My revolver load is 9.5 grs of Slow WC820, OAL is 1.415". I use the factory crimp die and crimp on the first ring. Very consistent, low SD's and right around an inch at 100 yards (5 shot groups). I use Fed 100 SP primers. this load chronographs at 1100 fps in a 6" 16-4 S&W and 1500+ in the carbine.

I rather suspect that the new GB 100 gr Keith will do as well. You might want to get on the list if you have not yet (they are taking checks as we speak). Of course, in the Marlin, you will need to determine if the specific bullet wll feed (in the revolvers and TC carbine, of course, that is not an issue). I like the plain base bullet as the limiting factor for me is that it must be compatible with my revolvers. However, if you want/need higher velocity (obtainable in a rifle only load) you might want a gas check bullet.

Dale53

Woolybooger
05-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Dale 53
I mailed the funds out today for the group buy Keith boolit. It looks to be a good one. My 311419 is a checked boolit. I use it in my Rugers with LiL Gun and CCI 500 primers. I don't need a check boolit at the speed it's runnin but it shoots a little better than my next best plain base boolit. It weighs 94 gr in the WW alloy I use and shoots about on at 25 yards in my one fixed sight Ruger. My other plain base molds turn out a heavier boolit and shoot higher. My other Ruger is the older model with adjustable sights so I have it a little easier with it. I've been shootin the 311419 in both. Thanks for your time and thoughts.
WB

Dutch4122
05-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I have one languishing in layaway right now and it's going to be a while before I can get it out. Why, you may ask? Because I've been spending too much money on Group Buy moulds lately.;)

Sure would like to see a report on what you think when you get done at the range!

6pt-sika
05-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Got one of the 32 MAG Cowboys when they first came out almost two years ago.
I shot swaged Hornady 90 grainers in it first . Then tried 311419's and 311316's. Also have a Saeco 322 PB 118 grain mold , but I've not tried this one yet.
All three of those molds were pretty much bought for the 32-20 , but they seem to be working out alright in the 32 MAG .:drinks:

Woolybooger
05-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Matt
I'll let you know how it looks and shoots soon as I can.
6 pt
What powder you using in your 32 mag?

6pt-sika
05-21-2006, 09:42 AM
6 pt
What powder you using in your 32 mag?

Mostly Unique :castmine:

6pt-sika
05-21-2006, 09:50 AM
After I got it and shot a bunch of 90 grain loads I decided on 3 grains of Unique. By no means is this a fast load .
Couple years before I got the 32 MAG Cowboy , I got an 1892 Marlin that will shoot 32 Long Colt . For those not familiar with the 1892 Marlin action , it's pretty much the same as the 1897 and 39A . Anyway 3 grains of Unique and a 90 grain heel bullet are what I shoot in the 1892.

Woolybooger
05-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Picked up the 32 today. I put the Marbles tang sight on it first. Ran 135 rounds through it. 311419, 311316. and the RCBS 98 SWC. I tried Unique, Lil Gun and 296. It did the best with Lil Gun. The 311419 with Lil Gun would shoot 5 shots in an inch at 25 yrd. It did 2 1/4 inches at 75. Thats just about as good as my eyes can do without a scope anymore.
It cycled everything I put in it fine, no jams or hang ups. The trigger is tough,about 7 1/4 #. Wood fit and finish is good. I ran my last 5 rounds thru the chrony and they were runnin 1900 fps. Seems too fast to me but thats what the chrony said. I loaded up some more tonight and will check them again. All and all, I'm a happy boy!
WB

Dale53
05-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Woolybooger;
You can easily get that trigger down to 2-3 pounds, crisp. If you are not "handy" a good gunsmith can easily do it.

With a scope, you should do 1.5"-2.0" at 100 yards (my TC Carbine does right around an inch). Your chrono may be correct. I was shooting 1750 fps with a 118 gr bullet (plain base with no leading and decent accuracy) but believe that is too much for my S&W 631, so reduced it to 1550 fps). I want revolver/rifle compatible loads.

Long live the .32 H&R Magnum.

Dale53

Dutch4122
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
You guys are killing me! I'm soooooooo jealous:)

My 1894CB .32 Mag is sitting in layaway for what will probably a long haul; and not much play money to spend on gettin' her out for quite a while. I won't even let myself think about the Ruger SP-101 .32 Mag 4" adjustable sight companion piece that I'm craving to go with it!:(

felix
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Matt, too bad you are not living around here. There are enough guns in the closets to keep your interest until your 32's come into play. All are shootable at the riva' 7 miles away. Just bring them back half-way clean. Most have ammo ready to go, having been loaded before I became too ill to continue the hobby in full force. ... felix

Dutch4122
05-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Matt, too bad you are not living around here. There are enough guns in the closets to keep your interest until your 32's come into play. All are shootable at the riva' 7 miles away. Just bring them back half-way clean. Most have ammo ready to go, having been loaded before I became too ill to continue the hobby in full force. ... felix

Felix-

Were I a man of better means; in other words if I had some dough stashed that SWMBO didn't know about. I'd be at a ticket counter somewhere laying down the $$ for a two way ticket that would allow me to take advantage of your gracious offer for at least a few days. Actually, I've got a safe full of shooters and a shelf full of moulds that I should be concentrating much harder on. Seems like there's just too many temptations out there lately; hence the .32 in layaway 6 months after I promised myself (and SWMBO) that I would lay off for a while.

As for your health I will pray for all the best for you and yours; and I sincerely hope that you will soon be able to "continue the hobby in full force."

God Bless, Take care and Thank you,

Woolybooger
05-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Dale 53
I ran a few more thru the chrony today. Everything seems right so I quess it's 1900 fps. I hear what your saying about the trigger. I polished up my 1895 and the 1894 44 mag and both triggers are right at 4#. I sure do like the 32 mag.
Felix
I too hope you're back up to par soon. God bless.
WB

Dale53
05-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Woolybooger;
Sounds like your Marlin is "cookin'"!

I am still waiting on my Ruger SP101 .32 mag (it's in to the pistol smith for a trigger job). I think I'll give him a call even if it IS a holiday. I would really like to try it out before leaving on "vacation".

Dale53

6pt-sika
06-16-2006, 09:52 PM
As I said earlier , I've had one of the Marlin 32's for about two years now.

On and off I had been contemplating one of the Ruger Single Six Vaquero's in 32 MAG .
I went in my local dealers to pick up a copy of his license . And he had a nice new 32 Mag . Case colored with the imitation ivory grips . And at what I thought was a pretty decent price .
So needless to say I had him stick it away for me .
Don't really need but I can say that about a whole bunch of others that I already have.[smilie=1:

:castmine:

Dale53
06-17-2006, 02:36 AM
I've been in Utah for a couple of weeks. Had bronchitis the full time I was gone. Couple that with the much higher altitude in Salt Lake City and I ended up in the Emergency Doctor's office. Met a really nice doc through my daughter (she is a Dr. of Pharmacy) and ended up being able to breathe again. Kind of scary. Doc was an old fashioned type who actually followed up by telephone with me on her own. I was a very lucky feller. For what it's worth, I still had a very nice time with our nearly two year old grand daughter. It was worth every bit of aggravation.

At any rate, I am going to the range tomorrow with my nearly new SP101 in .32 mag. I'll also have my S&W's (631 and 16-4 with scope) with me for ".32 time". I am really looking forward to it. I wish some of you .32 lovers lived around here (Southwestern Ohio) so we could have a little "shoot out" at the local club.

Dale53

Woolybooger
06-18-2006, 08:31 AM
6pt
I've been keepin my eyes open for Ruger 32s myself. I have an older 4 5/8 with the adj. sights and a newer single six with fixed sights and am tickled with both of them. Rugers web site only list the sp101 in 32 now, so now I guess I need to find a Vaquero before they get too hard to find. And like you, I don't need one but that won't keep me from picking one up when I run across it. It's like my wife and all her shoes I guess.
Dale53
Glad your feeling better and your trip went well. Boy the grandchildren are great aren't they? I have one grandson so far, He will be 2 in Oct. My son and family came up one evening last week. I had a ball playing with him. Can't wait till he's ready to start shooting. I may have to pick up one of the sp101s too. What size are the throats on yours? My fixed sight model throats were small and I had to have them opened up to 314 before I could get it to shoot cast well.
WB

6pt-sika
06-18-2006, 03:43 PM
6pt
I've been keepin my eyes open for Ruger 32s myself. I have an older 4 5/8 with the adj. sights and a newer single six with fixed sights and am tickled with both of them. Rugers web site only list the sp101 in 32 now, so now I guess I need to find a Vaquero before they get too hard to find. WB

What I call the Vaquero is the Single Six with fixed sights case hardened frame and white grips . So I think you may already have what I call the Vaquero.

6pt-sika
06-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Wooleybooger, here's what I got . Well one just like what I got ,

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976699049.htm

But mine was only $365 [smilie=1:

Think I may start looking for a reasonably priced stainless , just like the Case colored that I just got :drinks:

Dale53
06-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Woolybooger;

>>>What size are the throats on yours? <<<

You know, I haven't measured them. However, the .314"x 120 group buy bullets in mag cases seat in the throat quite well when sized at .314". Seems to remember that I tried to push a bullet thru the throats and at .313" they barely went thru. So, I guess the real answer is .312"-.313". At any rate, the pistol shoots just under or just over an 1" at 25 yards off a rest (don't have fittings for this revolver for the Ransom Rest). I would say, that things are just about correct.

I also noticed today, when I was at the range that the chambers in the cylinder are quite well finished. Better than I have seen in the past from Ruger.

The best I did with the Ruger today with issue sights was a couple of 92's at 25 yards (standing, two handed). However, I had a NICE cluster of "X's" with five cutting one hole (I also had a couple of 8's:roll: ). It does show that the revolver is shooting well. It also shows the lack of a good rear sight (only adjustable for windage). I was holding six o'cloak on the bull. When field hunting, I want the revolver to shoot to point of aim. When I sort out my field load (probably group buy .32 Keith 98 gr), I'll have to build up the front sight a bit. I will then just shoot field loads in the piece and when shooting paper will just hold center.

It DOES present a problem, tho' when you want to shoot mild wadcutters on paper and heavier loads in the field. However, every time that I shoot this little sucker, I like it more. I WILL solve the problems, rest assured of that. This is a keeper....

On another note, I also shot my S&W 6" 16-4 with scope. I shot it a little better (mostly due to the sights - I am nearly blind) and ended up with a couple of 96's. None of this will impress a REAL pistol shot, but merely describing what happened at the range today. It was spittin' rain, the wind was blowing 15-20 mph (front coming through) but had only one other guy on the range. I LOVE slightly bad weather - we have 650 members and there were only two of us on the range because of the weather. GREAT DAY!!

My apologies to the originator of this thread, I did not mean to hijack it.[smilie=1:

Dale53

Woolybooger
06-19-2006, 09:53 PM
6pt
I guess I do already have the Vaquero. Mine is the stainless with white grips. I heard talk about baby Vaqueros and thought it was another critter! Thanks for clarin that up for me. I like the feel of the birdshead grip but haven't shot one yet.

Dale53
I have the 101 in 357 as my carry piece and like it very well. It is illeagle to hunt with less than a 4" barrel in my state but it is accurate enough for small game. I know what you mean about the eyes, I've been trying homemade covers on my glasses with different size holes with some success but I'm sure the good days with open sights are behind me!
WB