PDA

View Full Version : Wws

joshmb1982
12-15-2009, 03:55 AM
are these things really this hard to get? ive got a tire shop next town over that will sell em to me for scrap value but last 2 times i was there he was to busy to deal with me. today while i was out running i stopped by 8 different garages and tire centers and not one of them had or would sell me the weights. 1 flat out wouldnt sell me what he had. 5 of em either someone their took em or they already had someone who did. only 2 were willing to sell me some but they were out. those 2 though said they would hod them for me though.

lwknight
12-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Yup, thats the most common story.
Its madmess I tell ya!!

partsman
12-15-2009, 08:50 AM
go to local roofers see if they have any lead flashing or gutters you can also go directly to the local scrap yard and ask them to sell you some.............

blikseme300
12-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Josh,

The trouble with getting WW's and the decrease in lead based WW's in favor of steel/plastic/zinc etc has made me switch to foundry alloy. You can get this from Rotometals, one of this sites sponsors, and also from Missouri Bullet Company. Unless you get lead based WW's free it will be hard to beat their prices also.

Bliksem

XWrench3
12-15-2009, 09:44 AM
the absoloute best thing to do, if you can find someone to do it, is try to get someplace to sell you ALL of their ww scrap. try to negotiate an agreement so they do not have to try to get rid of it, so it is conveinient for them (which means if you have no other bagaining chip, you might have to pay a premium). since i can not handle that quanity of lead, i just keep scrounging. but if i could, i would!

243winxb
12-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Always tell people you want the WW to make "sinkers" for fishing. Never for making bullets.

MT Gianni
12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Don't go when a 4 day blizzard is forecast. Look during what should be slower times.

12-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Tell them you cast boolits!

I get free weights from two tire stores -- the owner at one and the manager at the other are shooters. The magical conversion of wheel weights into boolits pleases the three of us.

Jayhem
12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
I have a friend who runs an auto shop and can get me some free WW's but he only gets maybe 100 lbs per year..if that.

Sonoma2k2
12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I got 2 tire places that give me their WWs. Ive made a few rounds for one of the guys and he's happy as I am. A few others let an old timer get'em but yeah i had a few places ask if i was making bullets or sinkers. tell'em your making pieces for chess boards.