PDA

View Full Version : Spent primer in loaded round

nighthunter
05-20-2006, 02:11 PM
A while back there was a discussion here about a spent primer in a loaded round which was loaded on a Dillon press. I'm pretty sure I have the correct answer as to how it happened.
Yesterday while loading 40 S&W with my Dillon 550 I had a round that just didn't feel right so I stopped and checked the cases at each loading station. I had a spent primer in the case at station 1 after it had been sized and lowered for the new primer. The press had seemed to have had a different feel at the end of the primeing stroke. I removed this round and finished the others left in the press. I now reinserted the subject case back into the press and resized it again. Before lowering the case for a primer I removed it and the primer was still in the case. It was buldged in the center and slightly out of the case but still in the case. Just to check things I lowered the case to be primed and the primeing station pushed the primer back into the case and flattened it, this being with a new primer in the primeing arm. It would have cycled through the other stages if I hadn't checked because of the different feel I had mentioned. I have loaded many thousands of rounds on my Dillon press and this is the first for me. I made a slight die adjustment and finished loading.
Remember ... if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
Nighthunter

HiWayMan
05-25-2006, 11:41 AM
While I don't run a Dillon, I have noticed that S&B brass is especially difficult to remove the spent primers from. Granted this is when sizing once fired. Haven't shot any S&B reloads yet to know how they come out the second time around. I suspect really tight primer pocket tolerances are to blame.

Bucks Owin
05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I've also heard of the lube on cast boolits building up in the seater and "hanging up" a boolit with the result that TWO bullets were loaded in a case. Don't remember the particulars.....(must've been WCs...)

Dennis

doc25
05-25-2006, 05:03 PM
I've had it happen in my loadmaster. Military brass the primer clings in there right until the very end. The primer will get pushed back in on the priming station.

Frank46
05-26-2006, 03:28 AM
Highwayman, I use a punch and base set for just about all my reloading. Sure its slow but don't have to worry about spent primers on the rug and the other junk from fired cases. I once had a box of factory remington 444 marlin ammo that had one case with the primer in backwards. Anvil facing the bolt head. That could've been interesting. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
05-26-2006, 04:15 AM
Thats funny I had a 'redeye' in an old packet of white box 38 Winchesters. Can't complain, they got a better record than me :-)

9.3X62AL
05-26-2006, 10:32 AM
No, not me--I've NEVER loaded a spent primer into a pocket, or a live one upside-down. Not me. Not ever.

robertbank
05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
You better go to the corner and sit in a chair for five minutes. :-D

Me thinks your nose is growing.

Bob

MGySgt
05-26-2006, 06:56 PM
I can see how that can happen on a Dillion or any progressive for that matter. I have used one for 20 some years. However, I resize/deprime on a single station press and clean them before I load them on my Dillion.

I have had rounds without a primer (forgot to push forward on the handle) - but never one backwards - YET.

Drew

waksupi
05-26-2006, 10:33 PM
No, not me--I've NEVER loaded a spent primer into a pocket, or a live one upside-down. Not me. Not ever.

Allen, that is a commendable record, when one loads those .25 ACP cartridges. You mush have to look very closely. or maybe not. If I recall, the primers are a larger diameter, than the case.

9.3X62AL
05-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Allen, that is a commendable record, when one loads those .25 ACP cartridges. You mush have to look very closely. or maybe not. If I recall, the primers are a larger diameter, than the case.

Ric--the solution to THAT problem is large rifle primers--which fit over the rim edge. All that's required is a trim-to-length after that.

Bob--I might be stretching fact just a little bit in this case. Just this once.