PDA

View Full Version : Tape on Wheel weights

azchisum
12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
:lovebooliI am getting some tape on wheel weights. What is the best way to clean off the tape. I was just thinking of putting them in a cast iron pan on the propane stove and burning them off.

HeavyMetal
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Getting the tape off before you melt is an exercise in frustration!

Melt and skim but where a good mask, the tape will smoke a lot more than the clip on weights.

I have about 200 Lbs of so stick ons that I've been putting of smelting for just that reasn.

cheese1566
12-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Yepper!

I sort my wheel weights before smelting to segregate the clip ons from the stick ons. When enough accumulate, I smelt the stickies into a different sized muffin ingots.

Like the clip ons, the tape-paper-and sticky burn off and char to the top of the melt through fluxing and stirring. Easy enough.

Jon K
12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Soak in mineral spirits(paint thinner) for 30 minutes and just wipe off.

Burning the tape creates lots of smoke and problems with the neighbors.

Jon

alamogunr
12-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I had about 200# of stick on WW to clean up. I also had a good supply of equipment degreaser (a biodegradeble liquid, made from orange peels by the smell of it). It took a couple of hours soak and the tape just wiped off. The tape is referred to by some as "foam" tape and is a real mess to burn off. On the other hand, it may be a good flux. The stink and smoke is not worth it to me.

John
W.TN

Oldtimer
12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Just be aware that most of the stick-on weighs are real close to pure lead. Too soft for most everything except muzzle loader, or maybe paper patching. I pitch em in the pot, and turn the fire to em. Not too bad outside. Bob

Gunslinger
12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
And the tape stinks to high heaven... really nasty! I also sorted mine just from the start... and am glad I did.

gixxer1974
01-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Just be aware that most of the stick-on weighs are real close to pure lead. Too soft for most everything except muzzle loader, or maybe paper patching. I pitch em in the pot, and turn the fire to em. Not too bad outside. Bob

Does this mean I shouldn't mix them in with my clip on weights and mix it together for my 357 loads?

lwknight
01-11-2010, 04:53 AM
A lot of people mix the clip and sticky weights 50/50 and water drop the boolits to harden then up a bit. IMO it gives only 1 1/2 % antimony and is not enough to get hard cast boolits.

I would suggest keeping the clip-ons separate to cast with and eventually add tin and antimony to the stick-on weights
The clip-on weights will make nice plinking bolits just air cooled and hard cast equivelant if you water drop them.

fredj338
01-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Soak in mineral spirits(paint thinner) for 30 minutes and just wipe off.

Burning the tape creates lots of smoke and problems with the neighbors.

Jon
This works great, a lot less smoke & chemical vapors coming off the smelt.

DLCTEX
01-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Thank God for country living! Smelt with a light wind and let the smoke go where it may.

gwilliams2
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I separate all of mine as well for later smelting and mixing with lino... Trying to remove all of the tape/goo sounds like a real headace to me... Just burn it off and let the smoke rise...

SciFiJim
01-12-2010, 02:16 AM
I use a 50/50 mix of clip on and stick on in my .45acp with good results. Once the stick on weights melt and the tape junk is floating, throw a good handful of sawdust in on top and stir. It will bind with the sticky gunk and make it easier to remove.

Recluse
01-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Thank God for country living! Smelt with a light wind and let the smoke go where it may.

Light wind? Out there in West Texas/Panhandle area?

I've seen "light winds" that mixed with the dirt that blows, will sandblast your lawnmower in fifteen minutes flat.

But nonetheless, it IS perfect for smelting. Might explain why El Reno, Oklahoma, always stinks so bad. It's the fumes blowing off the Panhandle and West Texas casters' smelt.

:coffee: