PDA

View Full Version : Congrats on world title

waksupi
05-20-2006, 01:29 AM
I know many of us do business with Buffalo Arms, and I have known Dave Gullo, for maybe 15 years. I heard today on Paul Harvey, that Dave had once again taken the World Championship in BPCR. Dave casts his own bullets, and does his own reloading. He is one of the nicest people you could ever want to meet. I would like to put my congratulations out on the WWW, and also give Paul Harvey a big "Atta boy", for recognising excellence in the shooting sports. Way to go, Dave!

martinibelgian
05-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Yes - Dave took home the overall aggregate as well as several individual medals, and the US team also took home the team title. Mind you, they didn't bring it all home though - a Brit won the 900m individual and the LR aggregate.
Competition was fierce, and the shooting was very good, the SA hosts went out of their way to accomodate the shooters. FWIW, you can find the complete results here: http://www.sanra.co.za/images/bisley2.jpg
And Dave is indeed a nice guy, shoots a Lovely borchardt 1878 (tried to pull it out of his hands, but he is taller and stronger than I am :-D ) and he just plain shoots well - but then the same goes for most others too...

Buckshot
05-21-2006, 06:58 AM
...............I'd really like to compete in long range shooting, but not cartridge :-) I'd sure like to at least SEE one of those matches. The stats were interesting. It seems the South African team were the more consistent steady shooters and at the longest range they were way out front.

The US team gained a big lead at 700m and that lead helped for the aggregate as things were fairly even at mid-range and the SA team was 'Steady on' for the long range portion. Only 8 points total difference between us and the SA team for 1st and 2nd.

You know, golf has got to be one of the most boring things ever on TV. Seems to me an exhibition of paint drying on various surfaces would be more exciting. If the media weren't so freaking anti-gun metallic silhuette with it's boom and clanging and banging and smoke and action would be miles better. Even these longe range matches would be. But realisticly I suppose there isn't any big money behind them, and that is a true shame.

Guess I should start buying lottery tickets, eh?

................Buckshot

martinibelgian
05-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Buckshot,
Nothing beats PARTICIPATING in one of these - I did, and it was very nice. Sure, a learning experience for me, but still... Actually, the SA team made it in their 900m performance, where they beat all the others by a landslide. 700 and 800 ware extremely close, but they made the difference at 900 - of course knowing the local conditions might have played a part, but still quite a performance!
All of this under typical cape conditions, with a 30 mph headwind blowing and fishtailing at will... BTW, if you want to shoot the ML part of it, I believe it will be held next year in SA too, so you had better start practising! I know I learned a lot over there, and the whole event was just plain nice - I'd do it again in a heartbeat!