PDA

View Full Version : My Introduction, need mentor in Portland OR area.

Deliverator
12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Zach and I'm an addict.

Anyway, I thought I'd let everyone know that I am new here, I've been rolling through some of the topics reading posts and finding useful nuggets of knowledge. Finally decided to show some initiative and say hi. I am working on getting all the gear I need to start casting my own boolets. I don't really know what else to add.
I am from Oregon, in the Portland Metro area on the west side so if anyone from around here is floating about please feel free to hit me up. I could use some more like minded friends.

Leadforbrains
12-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Zach. I have learned everything I know about casting from reading through all the material here.

Sprue
12-13-2009, 10:49 PM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/bucketObullets.jpg

captaint
12-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Deliverator - Welcome to this addiction!!! I would guess that many of us here started just like you have. I know I did and I've been a happy man ever since!! Enjoy Mike

2ndAmendmentNut
12-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Welcome.

beagle
12-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Welcome to the forum. Lot's to learn here and teach as well. Each of us has his strongpoints so enjoy what is here and share the knowledge that you have./beagle

wistlepig1
12-14-2009, 01:09 AM
I am new also and I have learned more about casting in the last few months here than I had in 30 years of being on my own. Welcome!!!!

plus1hdcp
12-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the addiction and forum.

beanflip
12-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Welcome to the greatest web site for info and help to your never ending addiction for boolets.

Phat Man Mike
12-14-2009, 01:42 AM
[smilie=s:welcome to the gang! :redneck: around my area :shock:

Jon K
12-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Welcome Zach......[smilie=s:............a lot to learn.....a constant learning experience. More than 1 way to do it, and more ways being developed..........take it all in stride......and like a grain of salt.:castmine:

Jon

Dale53
12-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Zach;
Welcome to the zoo!

I have only been doing this for sixty years or so and I am still learning. This is a great place to do it.

Dale53

Bret4207
12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Welcome! Your secret decoder ring and info on the secret handshake will be forth coming.

acemedic13
12-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Your in good comapny Zach. Welcome the forum.

cajun shooter
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the forum, I think that Bret was a little early on telling you about the member secret packet. That is not sent out until you post a short essay on how you messed up and did something real stupid while casting. Later David

badgeredd
12-14-2009, 11:01 AM
WELCOME ABOARD THE FORUM.

I haven't gotten my decoder ring yet but after reading "cajun's" post I see why. No body told me!!!!!

Edd :bigsmyl2:

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Welcome

Ensure that you set aside a few hours everyday for rest of your life to read all the information tha is on this site.:grin: You have stumbled upon the largest collective brain trust in the free world. ( I ain't one of them ) If you have question it probably has been answered here already, but if you can't find it, ask. I have yet to see someone ask a question that hasn't been answered.

Regards,
Everett

P.S. I have admitted to screwing up alot here and I still haven't received my ring yet or maybe I tried using as flux.

timkelley
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Welcome.

12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Deliverator,

Welcome.

I spent many days reading the archives -- http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-8.html -- and found them to be extremely helpful and interesting. In fact, I was perusing them, just the other day, in search of information on an ancient Ideal mould I had recently purchased. Sure enough, there was some discussion about it.

RobS
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Wecome aboard and enjoy your ride...................we all do :D.

45nut
12-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I edited the thread title, if there is anyone in the Hillsboro Oregon area that can help this member please do! Nothing like hands on teaching!
Welcome to the board Zach.

1874Sharps
12-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Zach,

Welcome, and I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say that we are at your service!

Deliverator
12-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Ken is the nicest guy!

Leadforbrains
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Ken is the nicest guy!

Ken is the Grand Enabler of all of us lead addicts.:castmine:

Rockydog
12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Deliverator, You are not addicted until you get caught crawling around the local Democratic Campaign HQ parking lot with a screwdriver and a bucket, collecting wheel weights. That's when you get the decoder ring etc. RD

crazy mark
12-15-2009, 01:59 AM
If only you were more like 1/2 hour away or so. I'm down in Springfield. If I was closer I would be happy to mentor you. Welcome. mark

Crash_Corrigan
12-15-2009, 04:22 AM
Welcome to true insanity. I am a retired LEO from NYC and I picked up target shooting again about 16 years ago. Very soon I was agast at the price of .38 Specials {then about 3.89 a box} and I looked around to see if casting my own would do the trick.

I ordered a bunch of casting stuff including a pair of Lee six banger molds in .38

If you really want a laugh check out this thread of mine:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=41217

After you get your breath back understand that it was all true. Every word. I began casting 15 years ago and found site about 4 years ago. I learned more about guns and casting in those 4 years than I had learned since 1950 when I began shooting.

I am so addicted that I just spent a buncha money on a BPCR rifle in 50-90 Sharps caliber and a bunch more on accessories. A lot more on accessories and molds and stuff than I spent on the gun.

It is a good addiction and a finer group of shooting people you will never meet.

There are a few here in Las Vegas whom I have had the pleasure of meeting.
Dye, Scrounger, Mooman76 and Blake Stephenson. Many more I have traded with via this forum and I have bought and sold many things here. Every trade was straight up, honest, fast and a true pleasure.

Nobody is out to screw anybody over. Just remember there are a few pot stirrers on this forum who will take anyside of an issue and just try and provoke people.

Some of us {including me} kinda frown on this and some of us have even bailed out and not come back. Some people are more thin skinned than others and cannot abide being picked over. For myself, I am learning more every day and I will be here for a long time.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Bullshop's Sprue Plate Lube and Lars 45 White Label lubes for boolits. They are found on the bottom of the home page. Patronize them they sell fine products. Also Cabin Tree products. They make a fine alloy hardness tester and adjustible mold handles.

This dude the Sweede at night owl enterprises makes a dandy mold and you really cannot go wrong there. Also a dude in Eastern Europe is also making some dandy molds and both give you excellent quality molds at very decent prices and fast turn around time. Check out the group buys. Oh Buckshot in the PRK is a master machinist and can fix your molds and does a dandy job on making a hollow point mold out of yurs.

If you ever get down to Vegas, give me a shout and bring your guns. We will burn some powder together and I will show you what I know. It ain't much but I'll be proud to share with you.

You are not going to find a finer bunch of people to help you as we all have a stake in keeping the force strong and raising up younger shooters to carry on after we are all gone as the guns and molds will outlive us all.

Peace,

Dan

Dan

elk hunter
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Deliverator;

Welcome aboard.

More than likely there is someone on the forum a lot closer than myself, but it's a shame your not closer to Bend, or some other civilized part of the state. When I get home from Arizona, probably in February or March, the guys are all coming to my place to cast bullets and reload. I normally make a big pot of chili and a pan cornbread for lunch. If you were around you would be welcome, of course you would have to put up with a bunch of us ORF's, that's OLD RETIRED FELLOWS.

Regards,

Elk Hunter