PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax Refining

nighthunter
04-25-2005, 12:25 PM
I have been reading about the Felix lube for quite some time now. Yesterday I was looking to order lube and was amazed at the price of commercial lube. The lube I usually use is over $5 a stick. I decided its time to try the Felix recipe. I found what I think is a good price for beeswax but it is unrefined. I ordered a 7 pound block for $26.50 plus shipping.
Other than melting and letting the other ingredients settle to the bottom, what must I do to refine the wax. How would I filter it and what to use for a filter? Anyone have any ideas to help me?
Oh ... the place I found the wax is www.blossomland.com .

Thanx,
Nighthunter

wills
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Check the old board. Powderburner posted

“I got a roaster pan from the thrift store for 5.00 and put the lid upside down in the bottom and use it as a double boiler or put a quart of water in each one and put it on the burner way down low this will handle 10 to 15 # of wax in each half for pre cleaning . when cool scrape the crap off the bottom of the block than dbl boil it and pour into the mould of choice the 4x8 bread pans make 2# blocks and the 3x6 make about a lb block. a bee keeper told me if you heat wax up higher than 200 or so it gets harder but it doesnt seem to hurt the lube made from it”

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=514616&CategoryID=228143&threadid=1686823&highlight_key=y&keyword1=wax

grumble
04-25-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't know about "refining" beeswax, but you can clean it by pouring it through a piece of cheesecloth. I've never tried it, but I'd imagine you could also use some of that cheap fiberglass screen used on screen windows. Obviously, the finer the mesh, the more particles it will strain out.

Gussy
04-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I did a job for a bee keeper last month and traded for 3, 5 gal pails of cappings.

Last time I dumped it into a big metal canner with a gallon or so of water, melted the whole mess, strained it, then poured in into some bread pans to set up. I scraped the crud off the bottom of each "loaf", remelted and did it all again. Did this 3 times and ended up with real nice clean wax.
Gus

wills
04-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Page 3

http://www.sfp.forprod.vt.edu/factsheets/beeswax.pdf

powderburnerr
04-26-2005, 01:59 PM
the best thing to strain it thriugh is a pair of panty hose ,put the wax inside tie off the end and after its all meltes just remove the panty hose and all the junk left inside ,real fast and easy............... Dean

carpetman
04-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Powderburner--"Best thing to use to strain beeswax is pair of panty hose. After it all melts remove the panty hose." Was wondering,did you ever get slapped for doing this?

powderburnerr
04-26-2005, 11:24 PM
no .... but then I dont do it when the missus is around either..........Dean

nighthunter
04-27-2005, 01:01 AM
LOL Carpetman .... I can picture you trying that. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the UPS man (person) will get the wax here soon and I can report on my efforts. Maybe if the UPS "person" is of the feminin gender she will donate the panty hose.

AZ Pete
05-15-2005, 07:27 PM
If you can locate a bee keeper you should be able to buy good clean beeswax for under $3.00/lb. I bought 10 pounds for $2.25/lb. earlier this month. The bee keeper thought that was a small sale.