PDA

View Full Version : Lead Sleds?

Muddy Creek Sam
12-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Howdy all,

Would like to get a Lead Sled that will work with Rifles and Pistols, Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam :D

cajun shooter
12-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Sam, If you do a search on these you will find that your top shooters advise staying away from them. When I was going through sniper training and firing several rounds while on the weld and mat we would take shooting bags of sand and use them. They worked very well and stopped the laying in bed at night with ice packs. They also have had some rifles with broken stocks that I read about. Whether that was a fault of the sled or shooter I don't know. Search the BPCR forum for some postings. Later David

Muddy Creek Sam
12-12-2009, 12:12 PM
David,

I want one for testing loads, Old Guns and setting up sights. Not looking to use it for shooting at targets for other than stated purposes.

Sam :D

Johnch
12-12-2009, 12:30 PM
They are SUPER hard on stacks
A guy at the range busted a sweet looking stock on his 30/06 last fall
The rifle was at least 10 years old
But after 6 rnds in the lead sled , the stock split through the grip area

My gunsmith told me to never use one with a rifle I cared about

John

S.R.Custom
12-12-2009, 12:56 PM
What they said.

I find the best groups come from the use of a bi-pod, one of those leather squeeze bags under the butt stock, and a shot-bag filled with rice for the shoulder.

montana_charlie
12-12-2009, 01:01 PM
There are a number of vises on the market which are intended to hold the rifle during cleaning. They are equally useful when setting up sights.

It certainly doesn't take a Lead Sled for that.
CM

JSnover
12-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I always was a little leery of setting a rifle in any sort of hard mount. I have an Outers Varmint rest that works as well as I need it to for testing, never so much as scratched a forend with it. Sandbags are good but the first time one of them leaked in the wife's car was the last time I ever saw it.

C.F.Plinker
12-12-2009, 05:23 PM
For sighting in and for load testing I use either the Lead Sled or a Steady Rest. I think that if you put a lot of weight on the LS you increase the amount of force that the stock has to absorb. I usually just use the sled empty and it absorbs 50-60% of the recoil. This makes a 30-50 round session much more pleasant for me and I concentrate on shooting instead of anticipating recoil which leads to jerking.

I agree with the posters above in that if I were going to do a lot of bench shooting I would go with a good front rest/rear bag combination.

Jim
12-13-2009, 05:41 AM
I have a lead sled and use it frequently. I did modify the back rest where the butt snugs up, however. I put a folded shop towel in it that came out at about 1.5" thick to absorb some of the recoil. I shoot calibers from .223 up to .45-70 with 500 gr. loads and have never had a problem with the "absorber" I added.

Calamity Jake
12-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Well there you go. you've got do's and don'ts from both sides.
I suggest a Caldwell front rest with a good rear bag for testing and a MTM or semular rifle cradle for cleaning/sight installing.
You can lay a sand bag over the front rest for pistol shooten.

leftiye
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
It - the lead sled II - is a pretty good steady rest, with adjustments front and rear and it is rock steady. I second the don't load it up (with weight) approach, maybe a piece of stiff plastic foam between the back end and your shoulder.

wistlepig1
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I got one last year for Xmas, I have used it a few times with ONLY one sand bag in the tray. Mostly with smaller Cal's 223-6mm with no problem, but they don't kick hard. My son used it to shoot his Mosant(spelling??) with no problem. There sure is better shooting platform, if thats what you want. I tryed several but wasn't happy with most, so I made one using the things I liked in several that I have used. I now have one I use all the time on the P.D. towns.
I would say for shooting, look at something else, for working on your stuff, look at the Cadwell. one more opinion.