PDA

View Full Version : Revealing My Ignorance

JohnH
05-18-2006, 11:22 PM
What does the "H&I" in H&I dies stand for????

nvbirdman
05-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Heck if I know.

StarMetal
05-18-2006, 11:50 PM
I never really thought about it. John Barlow founded the Ideal reloading tool co. In alot of the illustrations for the tool the parts were lettered. In the illustration for Barlows luber/sizer the body of the sizer die is letteres as "H" and the plunger rod inside it is lettered as "I". Thus the H&I die. Also Ideals slogan was Harping on the Ideal.

Joe

NVcurmudgeon
05-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Also in the old Ideal illustrations of lubrisizers the top punch was lettered "G". I think it's like the intructions I got with the blind I put up for the Princess yesterday. "Mount bracket (A) to the top of the window frame, using two sheetmetal screws (B)", etc.

Bret4207
05-19-2006, 06:24 AM
The above lines up with the story I heard. At this point many the "whys" of casting and guns in general is lost in the mists of time.

Bent Ramrod
05-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Starmetal is right. The woodcut illustration of the Ideal sizer-lubricator machine in their early handbooks had the various parts designated by letters and the sizing die and internal plunger just happened to be designated by the letters "H" and "I."

boogerred
05-19-2006, 09:04 PM
darn,ramrod,i was gonna show off and you beat me to it.guess i need to learn to use two fingers.

alamogunr
05-20-2006, 09:42 AM
What does the "H&I" in H&I dies stand for????

I am so glad someone asked that question. I have been waiting for a post to give some hint as to meaning, but it never happened. I have a lot of other things that I am ignorant about, so this never made it to a post. Thanks.
John
"alamogunr"

JohnH
05-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I am so glad someone asked that question. I have been waiting for a post to give some hint as to meaning, but it never happened. I have a lot of other things that I am ignorant about, so this never made it to a post. Thanks.
John
"alamogunr"

This is a great bunch of guys, I've said a bunch of dumb things, had to eat crow on a few occasions, even had foot in mouth disease a couple times, and these fellas keep answering my silly assed questions, reading my posts, and offering a helping hand at every turn. The way I see, the only one suffers when I don't expose my ignorance is me, and once in a while exposing it helps someone else too; and this is a very comfortable place to be become more learned. Thanks Fellas :)

felix
05-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Ignorance is bliss. It is better to be ignorant, than to know and not believe as fact. ... felix