PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Scopes

RSOJim
12-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I have attended lots of gun shows this year and even attended the Shot Show in Orlando back last January. I am seeing many different brands of chinese rifle scopes for sale. Are they really as good as the venders claim ? Will anyone admit to buying one ? I will admit my brother bought one a couple weeks ago, I put it on a 22-250 and sighted it in. The dang thing at 100 yards was really clear and sharp. Didn't shoot the rifle but maybe 20 times, but the zero held. Anyone have any comments good or bad ? thanks Jim

waksupi
12-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Jim, a friend of mine is an optics collector, and has samples of dozens of scopes, cameras, etc. He also was at the SHOT show last year, and said one of the Chinese scopes was the best he had ever looked through. I believe he said the Chinese had bought the equipment from Carl Zeiss to do the glass with.

MT Gianni
12-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Only time will tell. Remember when you could see the tool marks on Chinese built wrenchs? You can't see them any more. They improve as markets demand.

Maven
12-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Slightly off topic, but my Chinese (Type 56) SKS was very well made with enviable attention to machining details. Also, my former avatar included a pic of a 1989-made Class Sy 2-8-2 steam locomotive (Tan Shin Loco. Works, near Beijing) that we had use of*. It incorporated the best of American & Russian designs and was a jewel with respect to construction and operation. You really had to screw up its care and feeding (coal, hand shoveled) to get it to smoke.

*Once owned by the Valley Railroad of Essex, CT, but later acquired by the New York, Susquehanna & Western RR (Walter Rich's pet project) and operated by the NYS&W Historical Society.

richbug
12-10-2009, 08:19 PM
I bought a set of Chinese binoculars this year. Carson branded, I never heard of them till they were recommended to me by a friend. Finest I have every looked through by far. They make all the old boys club binocs look like kids toys. I get an extra 1/2 hour at dusk and dawn.

wiljen
12-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Walmart is now carrying one that looks somewhat like an Acog for about $75. I've been tempted, but havent had the $ as of yet to put into a maybe.

RSOJim
12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Wiljen, the Wal-mart one for 69.95 is the one my brother bought. Its one of the best and clearest scopes I have look thru. I believe it was a 4 x 16 power. I could see the bullet holes at 100 yards really clear. I have also heard from other people that some scopes have lasted less than 10 shots until they had something inside fail. I see a lot of BSA's at my club mostly variable 6 x 24 I believe. The guys that shoot them like them really well and they cost less than a hundred dollars. For the last 3 or 4 years I have been buying old El Paso Weavers. My 35 Whelen has done something terrible to 3 of them. Got to start thinking about something else. Jim

dsmjon
12-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I bought a TruGlo scope a little over a year ago. 8-32x44 IIRC, paid less than $100 for it. Came with a 'lifetime warranty' which I expected to jump through pinprick sized holes if I ever had to make a claim. Low & behold if after about a year, the rear element 'drooped' down far enough that the bolt on my Savage 110 would not open w/o hitting it. Still shot straight though...

I had kept the box, but not the receipt. Mailed it back to their place in TX, less than 2 weeks later, I had a brand new scope in the old box sitting on my front porch. No questions asked.

As much as I HATE and DESPISE buying Chinese knockoffs, I just can't afford the American made equivalent to an 8-32 power scope w/ illuminated reticle...

izzyjoe
12-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I've owned/delt with a lot of scopes,and found you get what you pay for pard ,but there are some good quallity cheap scopes. and there is some trash out there.just depends what you want, and what it will used for[smilie=p:

454PB
12-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I bought another Ruger 77 Mark II .338 WM to go along with my 25 year old M77 in .338 WM about 15 years ago. It had no scope, so I mounted a spare Simmons 3X9 that cost around $60 dollars figuring I'd put a better scope on it later. It performed so well that it's still in place, and has taken a lot of recoil abuse over the years.

Buckshot
12-11-2009, 04:16 AM
.............With the advent of computer grinding of lenses it really doesn't seem to matter if the lenses come from Zeiss, Baush & Lomb, Sri Lanka or Zimbabwe. What DOES make a difference is the coating's, how and how well they're applied. I addition the internal erection of the lenses, variable power tubes, eyepieces, windage & elevation adjusters, and the air tightness. The other thing to think about is the warranty. Just how proud of that $49 3-9 x 44mm scope are they? A good simple test is 'boxing' the scope a couple times around. Once forward, and then back around the other direction.

...............Buckshot

PatMarlin
12-11-2009, 06:05 AM
.............A good simple test is 'boxing' the scope a couple times around. Once forward, and then back around the other direction.

...............Buckshot

Come, come now cuz. Don't let a cheap scope result you to blows ...:mrgreen:

oldhickory
12-11-2009, 08:08 AM
I took a chance on a BSA red dot sight a few years ago and was favorably impressed with it! I figured I would buy one of their 4X scopes for my Ruger 10/22 and what a piece of junk that turned out to be! Couldn't even see clearly through it!..(It did come in a blister pack...And went back in a blister pack!) I've sworn off them, if I want an inexpensive scope, I'll buy an old Weaver.

dale2242
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
I am using Chinese made scopes on several of my LOW RECOIL rifles and handguns. They are all clear and have worked as well as expensive scopes I own. Only time will tell....dale

223tenx
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I posted this before on another thread. When makarov.com was open we sold NcStar scopes and had a pile of them that had been returned due to the lenses popping loose from recoil. We also carried Leapers and that seemed to be a quality scope. None returned and very clear and bright

Oldtimer
12-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Bought an Osprey 6 x 24 for son's .243 Supposed to be a U.S. run operation in China using Japanese glass. Holds zero with no problem, and is repeatable. Just got in a fixed 36 power BSA. Have not mounted it yet, but looks to be clear. Will know more this weekend. Bob

Char-Gar
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Quite a few of the folks I shoot 22 handgun falling plates with use the NcStar band red dot/reflex sights on their handguns. They seem to work as well as the $200 Burris or $400 EOTech for that purpose.

I bought one last weeks for $60 but have yet to install it. My Burris is acting up and may have togo back to the factory. I bought this one as a spare while the Burris is out of commission.

Some of these type sights are for paint balls guns and others for firearms. You need to know which one you are buying.

Lunk
12-11-2009, 03:32 PM
I bought a BSA 4x16 scope here about 7 years ago for my Ruger 10/22. I holds zero well, is stable and is relatively clear. I'm not too happy about the eye releaf on it but it cost me $35 bucks and I'm only plinking with it so I'm not complaining.

Beekeeper
12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
As long as we are talking scopes , has anyone ever used a Barska?
See them advertised at Midway and was wondering if anyone had any thing to say about them , good or bad.

Jim

lead Foot
12-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Remember the good old days when the air was clean and sex was dirty~well Japan used to make junk now they make the 8-32x56br Nightforce which I own. It's the best scope all round. I do a lot of hunting and bought a lot of chinese scopes ~ I killed em all. After bonce'in around in the 4x4 they don't last long. I will trade optic's for holding zero anyday. Things to look for in a cheap scope is fuzzy image on the edge and some hide it by narrowing the objective so check the field of view @ 100yds. All so if you move it four clicks @ 100yds it should move four clicks. But after saying that you can get lucky and they are improving all the time. I use Meopta scope's for hunting ~ they take the most punishment you can give a scope.
Lead foot;

dualsport
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Two cheap scopes that are working out ok so far; Bushnell 2.5 X32 fixed, maybe $25, and NcStar 6X42 fixed. Both have been out in the rain, mounted on 30-06, hold zero, no fog. Still, I'll take the old Loopy if I get to go to Alaska.

shooterg
12-11-2009, 05:18 PM
I love old steel tube Weavers ! But if I had a .35 Whelen, I'd put a Leupold on it.

Admit to buying a Barska(sounds Russki, but it's Chinese) from Sportsman's Guide a year ago, a 6-24 x 50 on sale. Use it on AR's to test handloads and it has been perfect for the purpose. I boxed it just once, though, and since I'm testing for group size only, I seldom crank on the adjustments if I'm hitting paper. Although I did execute a groundhog that volunteered once while I was testing my home swaged 56 gr. bullets !

TAWILDCATT
12-12-2009, 09:44 AM
as I understand the glass is made in japan,and shipped to scope companies who grind it.I have bought a number of scopes and have some Nstar.also others.the chinese are learning and improving.I buy from CDNN as they are cheapest.the Nstar 6 X 32 was $19 the Norincos were $13.I have them on 22s,sks,AR15 and jap 99.I dont "bounce" them around in a truck because I have a good day when I can get from house to back of garage to shoot.its either to cold/hot or raining.
my old bones dont like either. :coffee::violin:

izzyjoe
12-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I think the cheapest scope i've bougth was a (famous maker) 6x24x44. It was for a target 22 i was building, i thought i'd buy better later on. that was sooner than thought. on 6x its o.k. any higher than that its like lookin' though old coke bottle.:takinWiz:cheap scopes!!!

HABCAN
12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a BSA 3x-9x mildot on my #5 and it has been a dream/bargain for CDN$100.00! Recently I got a Barska reflector for the Contender bbls. and am very happy with it to date. I had a little Leapers illuminated mildot, but the eye-relief was too short for my needs, so I traded it straight across for the Barska. All that said, if I was scoping a hunting rifle to go after something that might want to chew on me, in bad weather, I'd probably opt for a Leupold, but where I hang out on the dry prairies these Chinky optics are just fine, AND within budget.

PatMarlin
12-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Pretty much all my scopes are used Leupolds... vari-x III's that I've bought through the net over the years. Quite a few off of 24hour camp fire. Average price $200-$250. Never had to send one back for a checkup as yet. Pretty good deal for good scopes with a warranty.

PatMarlin
12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Here's my Alaska rig if I ever get there DualSport...

http://www.westcoastminisplitter.com/1895scoped.jpg

Leupold quick release return to zero scope rings, Leupy 1.5x5.5 vari-x III ( Used $225), heavy recticle and still have flip up Marlin buckhorn sights.

Bought the guide gun when you could still get them new online for under $400.

C1PNR
12-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I've got quite a varity of scopes, mostly bought used. I truly trust my Leupolds, but I've been using a Simmons "Whitetail" I think on my 300WM since that came on it. NO problems after maybe 20 years hunting and shooting, so it's still there.

I just received one of the Norinco 1897 Winchester Trench gun reproductions and both I and the gun shop guys were very impressed. Great fit of wood to metal, beautiful tiger stripe butt stock, and the 1917 Enfield bayonet is a perfect fit, no wobble at all!

I'm not a big supporter of things Chicom, but some of their stuff is pretty darn good.

ihmsakiwi
12-13-2009, 01:31 AM
I and quiet a few other down-under silhouette shooters here in New Zealand are using NC Star LER scopes on our unlimited guns in calibers from 6mm BR to 30 Herroit without ANY yet suffering any breakages. Sight changes up and down are repeatable. For $80.00 can't complain. Wouldn't put one on a hunting rifle for snow-line work but then again, they may be OK for that also. Peter

dualsport
12-13-2009, 02:24 AM
That's a nice lookin' rig you got there Pat. The quick release rings are smart. Maybe some Firesights for close work, in case you're trailing a wounded griz in the thickets. Or that Bowie.

leadman
12-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I have several NcStar 2x7 LER scopes on Contenders, work much better than the Meade Simmons that I traded for Weaver 2x scopes.

Had a BSA Catseye that was super clear, but in made its way onto my sons Ruger 300WM. No problems with it.

lead-1
12-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Some scopes that are cheap are just that and can scare off a buyer later. I had a 3-9x BSA scope and a friend of mine had a BSA Red Dot both failed in less than 50 rounds and had to be replaced, then the scope failed again. A local shop ordered in a Barska or two and one failed without ever being mounted. A few weeks ago I took the youngest boy to do some shooting and a guy shows up to put a few thru his '06, he offered it to the boy to shoot and after a handful of rounds I looked thru the scope and remrked how clear it was, he said it was a 70 dollar Center Point from Walmart. He claimes to have almost 200 rounds thru it without any re-adjusting. I also just threw out two Simmons scopes because they wouldn't zero on a 10/22, I think any of the scopes under 150 bucks are like rolling dice but that is my opinion.

RollerCam
12-16-2009, 01:33 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'll skip lunch for a month or two or give up fast food or tell my wife that she'll get a better present NEXT Christmas in order to avoid buying a cheap, Chicom scope.

A cheap scope just ruins the package for me.

Plus, I never buy something made in China that the Chi-Com worker who made it would be forbidden from owning.

watkibe
12-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Organized American labor has negotiated such high wage and benefit packages that American scopes (and many other products) are priced too high for me. I don't like the idea of buying Chinese, but the standard of living of both the Chinese worker and me are improved by Chinese products that I can afford. The size of the US market for the Chinese has given them the incentive to really improve quality.
I have inexpensive Chinese-made Bushnells, Simmons, and Cabela's Pine Ridge scopes, all costing less than $100. I have them on guns ranging from 22LR to 338 Win Mag, even a 41 Mag Redhawk. My experiences to date have all been positive. The adjustments aren't perfect, but I was able to zero all of them, and they hold zero well.
Of course I would love to spend as much on the optics as I spend on the gun, but until I can afford to do that, I'm getting by just fine.

Bert2368
12-16-2009, 11:57 PM
We go to China and visit the factories where our imported products are made. Chinese will do whatever a customer wants, if you can show them or explain it- And pay for it. They build thermonuclear weapons, orbital spacecraft and most of our electronics. They know how to work hard, and they enthusiasticaly spy on their local competition in a truly ruthless and cut throat competition to stay on top technologicaly. They had a bad couple of centuries, but they're back now...

PatMarlin
12-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Organized American labor has negotiated such high wage and benefit packages that American scopes (and many other products) are priced too high for me.

This is one of the magor reasons why we are in this current mess... :roll:

We go to China and visit the factories where our imported products are made. Chinese will do whatever a customer wants, if you can show them or explain it- And pay for it. They build thermonuclear weapons, orbital spacecraft and most of our electronics. They know how to work hard, and they enthusiasticaly spy on their local competition in a truly ruthless and cut throat competition to stay on top technologicaly. They had a bad couple of centuries, but they're back now...

Actually, China is having one problem still and that is consistant quality. Many US companies have found it to costly to keep doing business with them and have pulled out because of this and are setting up in Mexico, where it is easier to maintain quality control.

timbuck
12-17-2009, 12:23 PM

And we are giving these people Billions of dollars a day, Like the Saudis.
I wonder if that will come back to bite us????

NAAAAA

Bert2368
12-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I am sorry, I didn't intend to send this thread veering into politics!

Back on topic, I've got some Leupold and Zeiss Conquest US made scopes I really like. I had not bought a Chinese scope for at least 10 years though. Every cheap oriental scope I have tried so far has not had the total package of clarity, clearness, repeatable settings and durability of these. The lifetime warranties don't hurt either.

If the folks who are really happy with the newer Chinese optics could post make & model #'s I wouldn't mind going back and trying again.

PatMarlin
12-17-2009, 03:28 PM
It's ok Bert here at Cast Boolits to veer off topic. We don't chastise members for highjacking here ...:drinks: