PDA

View Full Version : Yugo 24/47

waksupi
05-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, I got one of these critters, from SOG. Functions slicker than buttered owl poop. I cleaned it up a bit in the solvent tank at work, and tried a few shots when I got home. 49.5 gr. WC 860, with Buckshot's bullet, 2 grooves filled with FWFL went into 3.5" at 100 yards. Not bad, for guessing at a starting load. Only problem is, the left rounds won't feed with these bullets. The milsurp stuff works fine, of course, but this defeats our purpose. Recoil is invigorating from the bench. I'll have to decide wheter to alter the feed, or stick with pointy bullets. It does seem like I have a mold of that type in my collection, I'll have to look for.

Bob S
05-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Rik:

You will enjoy that one! IMHO, It's a much better rifle that the M48, and much easier to shoot really well than any K98k I ever tried.

The stock Lee 175 grain bullet does well in mine, but it really shines with the Ideal 323471, and almost as well with the Saeco 190 grain RN. Groups of 1-1/2 to 2" at 100 yards firing prone with a US GI web sling are the norm, and that's with the crappy GI sights.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

waksupi
05-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Bob, as luck would have it, I scrounged through my pile o' molds, and found a Lyman 323471 in the mix. I melted enough ww in a ladle to cast a half dozen bullets to try out. They feed fine. I'll have to get a bunch cast on Sunday. Here's hoping the accuracy is good. Kinda wanted a flat nose, mainly for finishing off deer on the road. I believe I will get around this, by carrying some boxes of the Lyman, and half dozen or so of the Buckshot missiles, should they be needed for anything more serious than a charging rock.
They are nice rifles!

Buckshot
05-19-2006, 01:34 AM
..............Waksupi, I posted on Military Rifles about buying one of those at the local Big 5 Sporting goods. What caught my eye was the nice stock color and overall finish. I have to wait till the 25th to pick it up though. I need another 8mm like a hole in the head but nice milsurps I can afford are a bit thin these days.

Did you try seating the Heavy 8 a bit deeper to see if it would feed? My Turk M38/46 feeds it okay from either side, but I sure don't recall the OAL here at work :-).

..................Buckshot

waksupi
05-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Buckshot, yes, I did try various seating depths. She no go. I do believe I will be limited to the pointier bullets, iffen I want a repeater. We will brain storm it at work, and see if we can do some magazine or follower tweaking, to allow it to feed properly. Sometimes that is all it takes. My Turk feeds the Buckshot and Oldfeller bullets fine.
I did find this rifle has a tighter chamber than the Turk. I had some loads done up for the Turk, and they were very tight going into the chamber on the Yugo. I had to FL resize some cases, to get a smooth bolt closure. I would say right off hand, the Turk loads were neck sized only, as that is how I generally reload a cartridge.

bruce drake
05-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Waksupi,

PM me your address, I've got a Herters copy of an older Ideal mold that drops 180gr GC Spirepoints for 8mm bullets. I usually size them to .324 for my Mausers and they do pretty good. I've even dropped them down to .314 for my old SMLE.

This might be the key to your barrel's short throat.

Bruce

NVcurmudgeon
05-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Waksupi, Buckshot's heavy 8 mm shoots like a laser from my Yugo 48 with 19.0 X 2400. I have to seat it with exactly half the grease grooves in the case, half out. The GC is slightly below the neck, but that never bothers me. I imagine your 24/47 follows the Czech VZ24 throating, as does my Yugo, rather than the huge K98k throat Rick designed it for.

waksupi
05-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Waksupi,

PM me your address, I've got a Herters copy of an older Ideal mold that drops 180gr GC Spirepoints for 8mm bullets. I usually size them to .324 for my Mausers and they do pretty good. I've even dropped them down to .314 for my old SMLE.

This might be the key to your barrel's short throat.

Bruce

Bruce, thanks for the offer, but I believe you may have misunderstood what I meant to convey. the Turk loads were tight, due to the chamber they had previously been chambered in, and then only neck sized when reloaded. The New reloads, with the heavy Lyman, have no chambering problems, and seat to the base of the neck, with a big ol' hunk of lead, hanging out of the front end. So, as much as I appreciate the offer, the bullets I have fit fine, and I will greatfully decline your offer.

bruce drake
05-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Waksupi

No Problema