PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning molds / treasure trove

JudgeBAC
05-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Just acquired the following at a pawn shop:

1. Lee .358 hollow point weight unknown
2.Lyman 358477 single cavity with handles 150 gr.
3.Lyman 358156 double cavity with handles 155 gr
4.Lyman 358345 single cavity with handles 115 gr SWC
5.Lyman 452374 single cavity
6.Lyman 358212 double cavity 146 gr roundnose
7.Lyman 35891 double cavity 150 gr.

Some have a little rust on them. I cleaned with rem oil and 0000 steel wool. then the worst blocks I dryed off and put them in the tumbler on opposite sides so they dont bang together.

Does anyone have any other ideas on cleaning used molds? Also while we are at it anyone have experience with any of the above?
Thanks.

Bucks Owin
05-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Gee pal, you really hit the jackpot huh?
The 358156 is a classic and Skeeter Skelton's favorite projectile ahead of 13.5 grs 2400, seated "out" in a .38 Spl case....
Pretty warmish load at 1200 fps!

How about something like a Q-tip with JB paste or Flitz?

Just a thot,

Dennis

Then there's the "Comet treatment" a la Lee mould fixit....

KCSO
05-18-2006, 08:29 PM
To really slick up the old molds I like to lap them with JB's bore paste. Just a little on a bullet and spin it for a few seconds and they really clean up. For the outside i just use oil and light steel wool. I tried cleaning one with a muratic acid solution one time and it took me forever to get it casting again.

imashooter2
05-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Electrolytic rust removal is the perfect process for mold cleaning. Only the rust is removed, the parent metal is untouched. Instructions here:

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html

NVcurmudgeon
05-19-2006, 12:41 AM
JudgeBAC, what a score! Skeeter's old favorite load of 13.5 X 2400 might be even a little too warmish with today's faster burning 2400. We don't load 22.0 X 2400 in .44 Magnum behind a 250 Keith these days, either. Work up slowly with any 2400 load using old data.

Bret4207
05-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Better not mention Skeeters load around here. Some bad blood spilled over that one.

Some boolit moulds cast better after a very slight "rusting" occurs. I think it breaks surface tension, sort of like venting. You, of course, remove the rust before casting. Good haul!

JudgeBAC
05-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all the tips. Imashooter 2: Got another question for you. Since we are talking about mould blocks which are pretty small, could you use a small battery and a cool whip sized plastic bowl? Also, where in the world do you obtain washing soda?

Newtire
05-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the tips. Imashooter 2: Got another question for you. Since we are talking about mould blocks which are pretty small, could you use a small battery and a cool whip sized plastic bowl? Also, where in the world do you obtain washing soda?
Hi Judge,
Stuff I got was made by Arm & Hammer. I got mine at the local Safeway Store around here. Tried a couple of other stores & they didn't carry it.
Just put it in any non-conductive container (plastic) big enough so the anode doesn't touch the part. this method really does the trick!
Why the grocery stores don't just break down & set up a cast bullet section in those places is beyond me.

imashooter2
05-19-2006, 11:36 AM

Baking soda works in a pinch, though washing soda is better. As indicated above, it is common stuff available in any super market cleaning aisle. I have used a small 6 volt motorcycle charger to do the job, but a 10 amp 12 volt charger is much faster. A battery wouldn't work as you would wear it out long before the rust was gone. Also in a container as small as a Cool Whip bowl, the water would heat up and evaporate. I generally use a 5 gallon plastic bucket filled halfway with solution. This means I don't have to worry about evaporation and the battery charger clamps are up out of the way and won't corrode by being in the humid alkaline mist coming off the bubbling solution.

Bucks Owin
05-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Better not mention Skeeters load around here. Some bad blood spilled over that one.

It's not a recommendation of course....

From what I can gather, Alliant 2400 is no faster than Hercules 2400 and Skeeter's load is a little lighter than some in use. Just the same, I apologize if I've made a "faux pas"....("Fox Pass" as Skeeter would say! :-D )

I'd be interested in the story though....:coffee:

Dennis

BTW, cool link imashooter2!

Bret4207
05-19-2006, 01:45 PM
PM headed your way Dennis.