PDA

View Full Version : .45 colt BP load/glue bullet

ironcowboy
12-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, i found that 32grn's of 3F black powder fills a case with just enough to seat a bullet (cant go quite as deep as normal, but i think its still ok) Now my question is, would it be ok to test this with a glue bullet? Or would that harm something? I'm still kinda leery to load that up with a 255grn lead bullet and test it out. I feel like i'll blow up. haha:Fire:

mpmarty
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
seat your 255gr and bang away. Black powder loves being compressed and pressures are safe as bp isn't progressive burning.

ironcowboy
12-09-2009, 03:58 PM
seat your 255gr and bang away. Black powder loves being compressed and pressures are safe as bp isn't progressive burning.

Ok good stuff. How much pressure should i put on it when seating the bullet? Will it explode in my face on my press while i'm seating the bullet if it pushes into the powder to much?
Also, would it hurt to try that out with the glue bullet?

HORNET
12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Moderate pressure, you're trying to compress it some, not crush it. It won't detonate until you get well past the "leaning on the handle" point. I think that a gloobit would just strip out on the rifling and leave a mess if you tried it with that much powder pushing it.

Jim
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
You won't have any explosions, other than the powder itself going off but you'll have one mell of a hess to clean out of your gun barrel. Gluelits are intended to be fired with nothing more than a primer. The heat from the powder burn will melt the back of the gluelit and you'll be in for a cleaning job you'll never forget.
Jim
Chief of Research & Development
NAGS
(National Association of Gluelit Shooters)

ironcowboy
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, i tried it with a glue shot, just to test it out (sure was a huge bang! :)) Glue did not seem to mess with my barrel too much, but it was FUN!!!!!!!!!!!! I think from now on most of my loads are going to be BP!!! hahahhahaha
Cant wait to load up some with a real bullet... Just need to find some cheap once fired brass, i only have 30 rounds left, and am low on cash... bla...