PDA

View Full Version : When is a heater required?

snowwolfe
12-09-2009, 05:04 AM
If your operating a RCBS lube sizer with Lars at room temperature (65f) do you need a heater? Been thinking of finding room on my reloading bench for my lube sizer instead of the 50f garage.

cheese1566
12-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Depending on which Lar's you use. A quick look at the products on his Web page shows which ones don't "generally" need a heater.

I only use his Red Carnauba in my three lubers (which all have a heated base). They are in an unfinished-unheated basement here in the midwest. I haven't used the others, but they may need a heater at those cooler temps to flow and take stress off your equipment.

Red Carnauba definitely needs a heater.

:wink:

mooman76
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Mostly it's the lube that dictates needing heat or not but the temperature you re operating in can also. There are ways around it and if you are just close to needing it you may want the alternative. A blow drier will heat it up pretty quick and keep it warm for awhile or some have mounted their press on a metal plate and placed a iron on it to warm it..

1Shirt
12-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Agreed, Red Canauba needs a heater of some type. I use a 1.98 hair dryer from Good Will, being cheap, works well for me. Have been using it for a number of years, when the lube stiffens a bit, I just give it another min or two with the dryer.
1Shirt!

Kskybroom
12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I do the iron think. Lay my Boolits on the bench warm up bench Boolits sizer makes things go smooth...

snowwolfe
12-10-2009, 01:37 AM
I have a heater for the sizer but wanted to make sure I would need it before drilling more holes in my work bench.
Lube is Red Carnuba.
Thanks guys