PDA

View Full Version : Cannon-FA,Meal & Mill Powders

smokemjoe
12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Does anyone used or know anything about using or mixing fuse powder, and also using black powders- FA, Meal & mill spec. powders, Mainly in cannons, Thanks- Joe

Hellgate
12-09-2009, 01:06 AM
I use 5FA in my C&B revolvers. It is an ungraphited 3F size. Works fine as any 3F. I believe it is either a blasting powder or a fireworks lifting powder.

smokemjoe
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Would that be like some of the Schutuzen powders, I got a lead on it for powder for a bowling bowl cannon, There is 3 different grades, Thanks- JOe

Willbird
12-12-2009, 01:00 AM
There is an exemption for BP used in muzzle loaders(and for smokeless used in small arms)...............not so sure for BP made for other uses. The feds recently in the last few years really cracked down...and you used to be able to get all kinds of smokeless powder for bigger stuff that you can no longer be legally in possession of without an explosives license.

Bill

Bert2368
12-15-2009, 09:22 PM
I use a good deal of FA and meal powders in pyrotechnic work, and have used mil spec. surplus powder in the past. Anything other than FG powders in 1lb. cans is probably going to need a federal explosives license to buy and poses.

The fuse powders I have used seem to have a bit more Sulfur in them, and are very fine grained, smaller than 5FG in size. I have found them to be useful when hydraulicaly pressing rocket engines or time delay elements. I would think twice before loading a cannon with such a fine powder!