PDA

View Full Version : What's it cost to go to your local gun show?

AZ-Stew
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm not interested in travel costs. What does it cost to park and get in the door?

At the shows held at the Maricopa County Fairgrounds (Phoenix), parking is $7 (At least they don't hold you at gunpoint. That would be "armed robbery"), unless you can walk the extra distance from one of the several businesses just outside the fairgrounds where you can park for $5.

Since the Ter-Mark show promoters were bought out by Crossroads Of The West, the entry fees have been steadily and quickly increasing. It's $15 now, unless you use one of their readily-available $1 discount coupons.

The shows at the Mesa Centennial Hall offer free parking, but I believe the entry fee is $8-9, since it's a smaller show.

I went to the Phoenix show last weekend. There was quite a bit of powder available, some too high, the rest reasonable. LOTS of ammo. One vendor had primers. CCI, Rem., Win., Fed. (high $20s to high $30s/k, depending on brand), and this was on Sunday afternoon. Things may be lightening up a bit on component availability.

Anyway, what do you pay to get into your gun shows?

Regards,

Stew

lathesmith
12-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Stew,
RK shows, here in Springfield, MO at the Fair Grounds: free parking , $10/ head at the door, fall of this year. As recently as 2006 the entry fee was $6. I have no idea how this compares to other shows size-wise; this show has grown some in the past few years, but this growth not all gun-related. Lots of political booths, and more snake-oil salesmen(and women) too. Definitely a mixed bag...

lathesmith

dragonrider
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Parking is free, entry fee is $4 at one show and $10 at another.

rockrat
12-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Small show here, free parking and $5 at the door. Tulsa had free parking and $10 at the door.

Calamity Jake
12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
All OKC shows(sometimes 2 or 3 a month) are free parking and $10 at the door. That could change after 1/1/2010

beanflip
12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
free parking and $6 sometimes $7 at the door

Doc_Stihl
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
$7 at the door. Free parking.

rmb721
12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Parking is free except for the show at the Farm-Show complex in Harrisburg

Entry fees range from $4.00 to $8.00.

grages
12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Central Florida Fairgrounds (Orlando FL) Free Parking and $9 to get into the show.

Shawn

EMC45
12-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Here in GA it usually is 2 bucks to park and 8 bucks at the door. I remember a few years back it was free parking and about $3-4 at the door. They used to give LEO and Mil discount too. Not anymore though. All that and the fact there are more junk merchants than anything and everyone is high priced. These are the reasons I will never set foot in one again!

MT Gianni
12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
The local gun show is $2 at the door parking is on the street. Big city shows [10k-50k population] run around $5.

Rocky Raab
12-08-2009, 02:24 PM
As a dealer, it cost me from $100 to $1000 for a single table/booth. (Plus up to five days of meals, miles and motel, of course.)

Count your blessings.

mtnman31
12-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Del Mar, CA - ONLY gun show in San Diego, it's a Crossroads Show
Parking 9.00
Entry 12.00

21 bucks to get in the door!
Have to find a bunch of good deals to make up for 21 dollars worth of entry privileges. The deals are few and far between and I have issue with how expensive it is just to get in the door. Even if I wanted to buy a gun, most of the transfer dealers want an arm and a leg to do a transfer. And since many of them travel to the show, when my ten day mandatory waiting period is up, I have to travel to them to pick up the gun. Don't forget all the people selling turquoise jewlery, beannie babies and other junk.
Needless to say, I don't go to the Del Mar gunshow anymore.
I will either drive up to Orange County and go the Crossroads show there (free parking) and while I am there and hit the Costa Mesa Swap Meet too or, I will time a trip to Vegas when they have one of their shows in town.

Unfortunately the golden age of gunshows has passed.

HORNET
12-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Mostly, the shows that I hit are $6 to get in ($1 discount for senior citizens) with free parking. There are a couple that are less ($3 for one, $1 for another) but they're getting rare.

azrednek
12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Stew I bought two tickets in advance, online. Cost me $34.00!! I guess the 4 bux was for the online ticket company. Got primers for 19.95 for Wolf and 21.95 for Winchester. Bullseye cost me 19.95 per pound.

pjh421
12-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Quad Cities (IA & Ill) and surrounding area (Big Bore gun shows) usually $5 and free parking. I can't complain.

Paul

Houndog
12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Free parking and 8 bucks to get in the door most places and discount coupons are everywhere. There are VERY few deals to be had, but there's always a bunch of private face to face ( NO PAPERWORK) traders around. Such trades are perfectly legal at the shows here!

1Shirt
12-08-2009, 02:43 PM
It sure appears to me that some of the people who run these shows are starting to price themself out of people who are willing to pay these rediculuous amounts, only to find rediculuous prices inside.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

9.3X62AL
12-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Not a gun show fan, generally--but I do see the big Reno Show now and then. I can't recall the entry fee, but parking at the hotel lot is free. If it was audacious, I'd remember it.

Stew, those are very encouraging price levels for spark plugs and fuel. I hope it's contagious.

Rocky, thanks for the insight on seller costs. Seeing this, I won't complain about what formerly seemed like predatory pricing from dealers. In fairness, gun and component prices at the Reno shows have been pretty decent over the years.

Farmall 1066
12-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Here in SE Nebraska, about $5 will get you in anywhere. Don't know abouth anywhere else, but the RK Shows Gunshow is a derious dissapointment when they come here. I have been to their Springfield, MO show and was very impressed.

I've seen several people ask for their money back at the RK show in Lincoln. Seems like they bring the "beef jerky, ninja knife, knockoff army surplus, and anti-goverment book vendors out on the road, and leave the gun dealers behind! Apparently in Springfield, MO.

Andy

Cherokee
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
$6 for the show, free parking. Medium sized show.

bubba.50
12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
here in s.w.va. the two shows in my area are free parking and seven to get in. if you sign up for door prize that gets you on the mailing list and they send you a dollar off coupon.

Bullshop Junior
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Lets see - 120 miles each way.
Parking free
entry - $5 ea - almost always four people from our family go.

wiljen
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
in TN they vary from $5 - $9 entry fee but none have paid parking that I have been to.

yondering
12-08-2009, 03:42 PM
One local show here is $5, the other is with the Washington Arms Collectors, which requires a membership that increases every year. I think it's up to $35 or $40 now. We joke that they are the Washington Arms "Collectors" because everything's priced so high they aren't "Sellers".

Lot's of booths for the junk vendors too, I don't know why they think a guy looking for gun deals wants to buy stuffed animals or cheap jewelry.
What really bugs me is the predatory pricing; new guns costing $50-$100 more than from the dealer near my house, used guns costing more than new. It's not uncommon to find used unmodified Ruger 10/22's for $300+ at that show.
I've quit going.

Guesser
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Went the show in Hamilton Montana this past week end, $5.00 at the door, no week end passes. Parking is free and close. Was a good show but attendance was down if what the vendors said is true. I went all three days at traditionally low attendance times.

kmag
12-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Have two shows in Mobile. Parking free. Five bucks at the door.

Rocky Raab
12-08-2009, 04:48 PM
You are most welcome, 9.3. As you bring up the Big Reno Show (one of THE finest pure-gun, all-gun shows anywhere) allow me to enumerate my attendance there.

First, I missed only one show in 14 years there. I always had a booth which ran from $400 earlier on to $800 later. It was a 1,200-mile round trip for me, which meant meant about 75 gallons of gas. Recently, that's amounted to $250+. Add in five days of meals for the three-day show, at a minimum of $60 a day, or $300. And add five motel nights averaging $75 a night or $375. We're at $1725 now. Toss in perhaps a small buy of something and we're at almost $2000 - just to go to that show.

Now, I sold custom earplugs which took me time to make and finish so that I could do an absolute maximum of 40 pair a day. I sold them for $50 and made perhaps $20 on each pair. So I had to sell 100 pair to break even. At 40 pairs a day, that means I'd break even - MAYBE- some time on Sunday, just before the show closed!

If I grossed $5000 for the weekend, I'd go home at a net zero profit.

Pitmaster
12-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Local shows in the Northern Indiana are run around $6 and there is usually free parking. I think there is one show put on by the Northern Indiana Gun Collectors that's $4 admission, free parking, and NO non firearm related booths allowed. Great show.

cabezaverde
12-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Now, I sold custom earplugs which took me time to make and finish so that I could do an absolute maximum of 40 pair a day. I sold them for $50 and made perhaps $20 on each pair. So I had to sell 100 pair to break even. At 40 pairs a day, that means I'd break even - MAYBE- some time on Sunday, just before the show closed!

If I grossed $5000 for the weekend, I'd go home at a net zero.

Rocky, could you make me a pair of I send you my ears?

Rocky Raab
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Need your whole head. I promise a 24-hour turnaround. If you don't have a suitable shipping box and you are Polish, just use your bowling bag.

(Used to love using those lines!)

Seriously, though; I've been retired for three years now. For your nearest custom plug provider, call 800-525-2690 and do tell them Rocky said Howdy.

twotoescharlie
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
heckofanote ain't it. hafta pay to go inside and buy something. wonder when wallyworld and the rest of them are going to start chargeing to get in. guess grocery stores will be next.
many shows are glorified flea markets anyway.

TTC

Hickory
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Three Bucks

Cadillo
12-08-2009, 07:46 PM
A gun show is entertainment, pure and simple. There is no free lunch. When was the last time you got into the theater for free? I go to have a good time. If the tariff were $25.00 I'd still go, because I never go to the theater anyway. I rarely buy anything at a show.

But, once in a while you score. The last two shows I attended, I scored bulk primers at far less than I could have had them shipped in for, by a really long shot, and they were in stock, and I walked out with just what I wanted.

:smile:

RU shooter
12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Around the western side of Pa. its 4-6 bucks depending which show at the door and parking is normally free. fairly reasonable IMO

Tim

870TC
12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
$5.00 for most shows, free parking at some, $10.00 at others.

swheeler
12-08-2009, 08:08 PM
5.00 will get you in for 3 days if you don't wash the stamp off the back of your hand.

bishopgrandpa
12-08-2009, 08:10 PM
$8 for a small show in Saratoga with half the room feathers, stones and earrings.Never any powder and rarely any reloading stuff. Mostly overpriced rifles and a few handguns. Really bad.

STP22
12-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I attended the Rochester NY show Sunday and paid $6 to get in. All the tables were occupied and there was plenty to see. The crowd was down, but I believe this date used to be in January...and I`ve attended same for a few years in a row.

Ricochet
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I haven't been to a gun show since the early '70s. One of these days I'll check one out.

mike in co
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
local shows run $70 to $130 to get in(one or two tables)

going up to rock spring wy is about $500....room/food/one table

going down ro albuequeque, nm is about $400 plus for one table.....

rk runs most of the shows in metro co. tanner runs one venue, a local group in colorado springs runs a show 4 a yr i think.

there are a few small local shows.

a guy in utah used to run a bunch of shows in the local states...but commited suicide last month....no idea whats gonna happen to his dates.

mike in co

No_1
12-08-2009, 09:10 PM
The shows vary around here. Usually anywhere from $5 to $10 to get in. The problem is how much it cost to get out. I figure if it cost me $5 to get in then it is around $500 to get out and if it is $10 to get in the it cost around $1000 to get out. Got to make the trip worth it ya know....

Robert

canyon-ghost
12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Local here, are $5 to get in, no parking fee. Good gun shows.

Chili
12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Charleston, SC shows are $7 to get in, unless your law enforcement, then it's free with ID. Parking is free for everyone.

wistlepig1
12-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Denver, $8 and free parking

azrednek
12-09-2009, 12:01 AM
As a dealer, it cost me from $100 to $1000 for a single table/booth. (Plus up to five days of meals, miles and motel, of course.) Count your blessings.

Rocky who has the gonads to charge a grand for a table?

Bert2368
12-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Here it's run by a non profit group. http://www.mwca.org/

$5.00 to get in, or $25.00 for a year's membership (8 shows, usually) kids under 12 are free. Parking is free at some venues and up to $10.00 at others. Supposed to be all weapons and accessories, but there's allways some questionable tables- Not many though.

For some reason, they sell no active reloading components. Loaded ammo is sold of course, but I have never seen powder or primers on a table. Lots of brass, bullets and dies though.

Allways see a fair number of private sales available at these too.

Echo
12-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Three venues, one @ Fair Grounds where parking is $3, another is an indoor mall w/free parking, the last @ Convention Center, parking $3 (I think). And entry is $9, $8 for Seniors. And a lot of ****, but some buys...

legend
12-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Here in gods country we have 4-5 shows a year,we have the local gillette gun club run one a year and thats the one i attend.mostly junk in the last 10 years has kept a lot of people away,and,its the same old worn out guns traded to the same old tired sellers time after time at WAY too pricey amounts for junk.
As past president of the gillette gun club i feel i should attend the one they put on,or,i would not attend any,most of my friends go to rapid city instead.i should start...

dale2242
12-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Gun shows in Sw Orygun: $5-6 at the door and free parking...dale

mold maker
12-09-2009, 08:36 AM
In Hickory NC, there are 4-5 a year and the price is up to $8. with free parking, up to 3 blocks away, uphill.
Usually there is a fare mix of new, used, supplies, and military. There is also some junk displayed. Prices, like everywhere else, have gone nuts, but folks are still buying.
Officers outside, stopped the personal sales outside of the last show.

RSOJim
12-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Last weekend my wife and I attended the gun show in Tampa Florida. About 80 miles from where we live. A little cool when we arrived, about 64 degrees. It cost 5 dollars to park. It cost 8 dollars a person to get in. I found an infidel t-shirt I wanted. I also found a used 2x leupold pistol scope that had just came out of Alaska that was on a bear gun. I bought the scope. The temperature was 78 degrees when we left. Yes, its mostly entertainment for me. Sometimes I find something I need or don't need. My wife and I enjoy a day trip out doing something together. For those of you that are enjoying the winter weather the temperature today in St. Cloud will be 84. Thanks Jim

Rocky Raab
12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Mike in CO, was that Reed Ferre? He ran a zillion small town shows all over Utah, Colo and Wyo. (And was perhaps the world's worst show promoter.)

azredneck, tables are $100, booths are $1000. Some are actually higher!

RSOJim, I'll remember you next summer, when the Utah humidity is 10.

corvette8n
12-09-2009, 10:10 AM
$8.00 to get in, parking free when you can find it. Not buying any of the overpriced guns "priceless"

Ole
12-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I haven't been to a gun show since I was a kid.

I have almost no interest in being around that kind of crowd. Even less interest in paying for the pleasure.

JSH
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi Stew,
RK shows, here in Springfield, MO at the Fair Grounds: free parking , $10/ head at the door, fall of this year. As recently as 2006 the entry fee was $6. I have no idea how this compares to other shows size-wise; this show has grown some in the past few years, but this growth not all gun-related. Lots of political booths, and more snake-oil salesmen(and women) too. Definitely a mixed bag...

lathesmith
Ditto here too LS. Dunno who put the turd on last weekend, but is was $8 fee to spend my $.
If RK would throw all the snake oil, candy/jerky , jewelery and candle people out, they could charge alot less as only half the space would be needed.
Primers are still $45++ here.
The MVAC show is about the only one I really make sure to get too any more. Not saying there are more deals, just a lot of eye candy, of both kinds.
jeff

mike in co
12-09-2009, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=Rocky Raab;741360]Mike in CO, was that Reed Ferre? He ran a zillion small town shows all over Utah, Colo and Wyo. (And was perhaps the world's worst show promoter.)

QUOTE]

yep. he was actually in chyene for the show. got some wierd descriptions of how he did himself in. they ran that show..but now all those dates are unknows.

mike in co

timkelley
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Two shows per year, $2.00 at the door, free parking.

lavenatti
12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
The Middletown, NY show (at the fairgrounds) is up to $9. Powder was $27 a pound, an old rusty No. 4 Enfield was $700, Mosin M44s were $250 but the topper was a $5000 Johnson.

Nobody was buying anything and I don't think I'll be going back for while.

Rocky Raab
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Mike, nothing would be beyond belief with Reed Ferre.

Sorry for the temporary hijack, folks. We return you now to your regular thread.

Tom W.
12-09-2009, 03:42 PM
:bigsmyl2: No cost to park, and as I have a buddy that always has a table, I have a pass to get in as a vendor....:bigsmyl2:

Jeffery8mm
12-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I refuse to pay for the privelege to get in somewhere to spend my money!!
Jeff

Russel Nash
12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Sometimes ...when you compare the cover charge/admission fee to what you would pay to go to the movies...well...sometimes the people watching at a gun show is more entertaining than any movie...more bang for your buck so to speak.

The people smelling at the gunshows, though, is another matter entirely. :groner:

I avoid the gunshows.

My one local gun club only charges $35 per year and has a dealer's account with Graf's. We used to have an account with Zander's too, where we could order in guns.

Crash_Corrigan
12-09-2009, 06:00 PM
There are two varieties of Gun Shows here in Vegas. One is crossroads of the west and the other by some old fart.

Both charge about $11 bucks or more at the door and the parking at Cashman Field is $3 for which you get nothing. They just hold you up in the driveway and provide nothing in the way of security at all. I usually park across the street behind a boxing gym and walk a block and save three bucks and prevent my vehicle from becoming a target for the thieves which abound in the area.

I leave nothing in view inside the cab of my truck and use a lock which immobilizes the vehicle as it holds the brake pedal up and you cannot stop the vehicle even if it is stolen. It can be towed but not driven away. It has worked so far.

The gun shows have been taken over by the couch rambos. The wannabees and their ilk have taken over and during the last three shows I went to I bought nothing and wasted my time. I am tired of looking a cheap goods from overseas in the form of 17 inch bowie knives, every part I could want for a AR 15 and assorted crapola that has little to do with shooting and hunting.

What firearms are there are overpriced and the primers and powders are mobbed until they run out of everything and that is usually by 2 PM on opening day.

Refreshments are very dear and lousy. I plan on staying home during the next one this weekend in VEgas.

mike in co
12-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Jeff

you dont go to movies. to concerts: to plays: to the zoo: to state and federal parks ?

so even though a promoter has gotten a bunch of vendors from around the states to come to your locale, with stuff at price youcannot buy in your locale, you will not spend money to save money...

they are gun SHOW's where you have the oportunithy to spend money ...just like every venue i mentioned above..

no one forces you to spend money...but most of the rest of the world likes the deals the make at gun shows...

Rocky Raab
12-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Jeffery, what would it cost you to drive to the stores of a couple hundred gun dealers?

MT Gianni
12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Jeff

Just curious if you go to your State or County fairs and if any of your Tee shirts or caps have advertising on them? If so did you buy them?
I think we pay to get in anywhere we spend money be it Wal-Mart or Neiman Marcus, parking and entrance are all included in the cost.

shooterg
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
60 to 145 miles one way, $7 and $8 at the door, $1 coupons plentiful, free parking.

$1 at the annual Labor Day VFW show in Hillsville, which features a town wide Flea Market with 250,000 of your closest friends and guns EVERYWHERE.

And here in the almost free Commonwealth of Virginia, money and a handshake suffice for private sales.

leadeye
12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Most expensive would be the 1500, $3 parking and $10 entry. Least expensive would be local shows, usually free parking and $5 entry.

clodhopper
12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Five bucks at the door for three days, free parking. 25 dollars a year gets you a Montana Weapons collecter Society card, its good at most gun shows in the state for free admission.
Most stuff there is on the high side, some is not. There are three a year in Bozo, the December show usually has the least good stuff cheap. The March and July shows are where somebody will get a table to unload used reloading tools and an odd mould or two.
Some times I can buy a used book from Mike Venturino.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Went to Tucson in Oct, guns were over priced, a bunch of other stuff too . . . primers were good price $30 . . . free parking, $9 entry, but $1 coupon, they "check" your gun! went through everything in about 3 hrs.

Tombstone free parking, $8 fee $1 coupon available, most things over priced, took me 45 mins . . . checked my guns!

Why do they have to confirm my gun is unloaded, then zip tie it and put a sticker on it? Drives me nuts!

sundog
12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I cannot premember if I posted yet in this thread, and it's tooooo long to go back and look. World's Largest Arms Show is Tulsa, Oklahoma, put on by Joe Wanenmacher (I am not an agent). It's at the Quick Trip/Expo Center at the county fair grounds and it is ten acres under one roof. It's freakin' huge! And, it's almost all guns. Lot's of walking. Lot's of good stuff. Some trail mix, t-shirt, mall ninja, and art tables, but held to a minimum. Last time I went went it was $10 at the door. Worth it? Only if you are shopping with a discount of some kind...

Muddy Creek Sam
12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
$7 in the door, free parking, PITA in a wheelchair.

Sam :D

Gerry N.
12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
"Why do they have to confirm my gun is unloaded, then zip tie it and put a sticker on it? Drives me nuts!"

Because they have no way of knowing you're not the mouth breathing dipstick with the IQ lower than a cinder block who had the unintentional discharge that nearly got 'em shut down a little while back. Be glad that there still are gun shows at all.

Gerry N.

Marlinreloader
12-09-2009, 10:21 PM
$7 parking and $10 to get into the door. The shows get worse and worse. Good to get primers and powder.

Marlinreloader

Adam10mm
12-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Free parking and IIRC $4 entry for the two shows we have up here annually. Yippee.

As a vendor the last few years, table is $20 for the weekend.

I always run a gun show special and take off the price of the entry fee on the first item purchased off my table. If you buy something from me, I save you enough to pay for your admission. And no I don't mark everything up $4 and screw someone. The $4 comes off my normal every day retail price and I usually have a 10-15% sale on my ammunition at the show on top of that.

mike in co
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Went to Tucson in Oct, guns were over priced, a bunch of other stuff too . . . primers were good price $30 . . . free parking, $9 entry, but $1 coupon, they "check" your gun! went through everything in about 3 hrs.

Tombstone free parking, $8 fee $1 coupon available, most things over priced, took me 45 mins . . . checked my guns!

Why do they have to confirm my gun is unloaded, then zip tie it and put a sticker on it? Drives me nuts!

THE ZIP TIE is an insurance move that they did ensure the gun was empty and not in a fireable condition when let in.
THE STICKER is to id guns as owned/not sold. sold guns typically has a different sticker. it is to minimize thieft. try walking out with a gun and no sticker..see what happens.

mike in co

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Never heard of either, but kinda makes sense, at least the sticker part . . . I normally carry a gun (cc) when I'm out and about, just seems silly that people can trust me taking my gun loaded into a bank, or even bar/restaurant, but not into a gun show . . .

Rocky Raab
12-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Ah, but you are hardly likely to be showing it off, handling it and otherwise have it unholstered in the bank. In a gun show, ALL those are fairly likely.

mike in co
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Never heard of either, but kinda makes sense, at least the sticker part . . . I normally carry a gun (cc) when I'm out and about, just seems silly that people can trust me taking my gun loaded into a bank, or even bar/restaurant, but not into a gun show . . .

like i said its an insurance thing...no loaded guns....i cannot imagine what the ins would cost them if they allowed ccw.

we had an attendee FAIL to clear a gun with the front door/police. got to a dealer and was looking for a trade. handed the gun to the dealer....who pronptly shot himself. yes the dealer errored...always treat a gun as loaded..BUT within the show, we EXPECT them to be empty.

stupid dealer, stupid customer, stupid gun show operator.....can't wait to see how the law suits go.

mike in co

dakotashooter2
12-10-2009, 06:51 PM
$5 and $5 depending where you go. In many cases the parking fee is charged by complexes with an inadequate number of spaces or traffic control issues, as a deterent to get people to use public transportation or off site shuttles to ease such problems.

roarindan
12-10-2009, 07:04 PM
my nearest show 1 1/2 hr drive is a small show (125 tables) parking is fre but you better get there at 8 cause the doors open at 9 and the spaces are gone by 830. $9 to get in. and as said before lots of crafters and ****.

Sprue
12-10-2009, 07:53 PM
The last time I went to one, I refused to pay $6 along with a coupon (free parking) that I had printed out. I wasn't about to pay to endure a smoke filled room.

So I got in the car and went cruising the Pawn Shops where both the pricing and air, was much better.

izzyjoe
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
round' here in ark. $5 - $7 to get in, and free parking. i'll never pay to park i'll go home before that. and my wife would'nt go until one time she did,and seen that jelewry and other **** they have. now she's telling me when shows are coming.:violin: everytime we go she spends more $ than me, cause she's got the $. I fell like a kid askin' for a buck. and what happend to the gunshows, there used to be just guns @ knives ,ect. guess there tryin' to apel to woman folk:confused:

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Ah, but you are hardly likely to be showing it off, handling it and otherwise have it unholstered in the bank. In a gun show, ALL those are fairly likely.

I carry my gun to defend myself . . . I go to spend money, not trade or show off . . . I can sell a gun locally, directly to the buyer easy and get good money for it (last one sold in 3 days, one before that was 1 day, just a note on the board at the post office!)

Most dealers at the shows don't give much, and have high prices on guns . . . at least what I saw and overheard from the haggling . . .

And Mike, that was certainly a stupid move . . . but why should it be my fault? (I have to pay the price) Gun owner should have unloaded it before handing it over . . . dealer should have checked it himself . . . shouldn't need anybody else involved.

Here in AZ lots of people carry guns . . . however store owners have the right to post a sign at the entrance "No guns allowed" I usually don't go in, I find somewhere else to go and spend my money . . . guess I need to start doing that to shows . . . just seems that a gun business would understand about a person wanting to be able to defend themselves, but some Salvation Army thrift store . . . my gun is concealed, but the law says I need to obey the request or I'm in trouble . . . so if there is a sign I follow the law.

mike in co
12-11-2009, 01:45 AM
And Mike, that was certainly a stupid move . . . but why should it be my fault? (I have to pay the price) Gun owner should have unloaded it before handing it over . . . dealer should have checked it himself . . . shouldn't need anybody else involved.

when you enter the gun show, you are entering into a contract with the show promoter. you are granted access, for a price AND YOU AGREE TO HIS RULES.
no...he is not allowed on the property with a loaded gun. clearly spelled out at the entrance...large signs. so he violated the contract with the event owner. he quite intionally bypassed the gin inspection required for entry( he had it in an ankle holster).
its not like in open public...there are rules within the confines of the gun show.

mike in co

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-11-2009, 09:12 AM
when you enter the gun show, you are entering into a contract with the show promoter. you are granted access, for a price AND YOU AGREE TO HIS RULES.
no...he is not allowed on the property with a loaded gun. clearly spelled out at the entrance...large signs. so he violated the contract with the event owner. he quite intionally bypassed the gin inspection required for entry( he had it in an ankle holster).
its not like in open public...there are rules within the confines of the gun show.

mike in co

Yes, I understand there are rules, I follow them. The above example is clear the owner of the gun did not follow the rules, that I understand. I also understand that Ins co's are out to make money. Do you realy think the ins co is gonna cover the damage from that shot? They will blame the dealer at least for him shooting himself!

What I don't understand is why are the rules there in the 1st place? Obviously (to me anyways) that the "problem occurred" because of someone not willing to follow rules, so the rules really did not save the dealer anything . . . the owner was a irresponsible gun owner, and all the rules in the world will not stop him from doing something stupid.

I think that the majority of gun owners are safe responsible adults, who follow the rules/laws.

Here in AZ they just passed a law stating that if you have a ccw, you may now enter a place that serves alcohol carrying your gun (providing the owner has not posted a sign, and your not consuming alcohol!) Before it was just plain NO! This tells me that they have recognized that someone who is willing to follow the law, and get "training" (very limited in my opinion) and pass a test, submit to a FBI check and record finger prints are responsible people and can be trusted. Why can't the gun show operators see this? They cater to the gun owners!

Most criminals don't bother jumping through the hoops set up for a background check to purchase a gun, or carry one legally, all the rules/laws we have only seem to apply to us law abiding citizens.

I work at a school, I am not allowed to carry my gun there to defend myself from some wacko who disregards the law I follow, just putting them in jail for a little bit, and fining them a little doesn't seem to be a deterrent, and does not make me feel safe.

Last week Wednesday, the first two girls on my bus (7th & 8th graders), had a disagreement over a seat, long story short, one girl threatened the other girl with death by knife, fortunately the outcome was OK, but if she actually pulled that knife, and when I went to stop her I could be quite hurt! Recently a kid in Philly pulled a gun on the bus and shot another kid in the head, threated the driver as he got off the bus.

My point is why can't the gun show operators trust us? Yes there maybe a idiot out there who should not be trusted, but the rules don't seem stop them . . .

I have only been to two gun shows in the past 20 years, both in the last six months, by two different operators, until things change . . . I guess I will just forget about going . . .

RSOJim
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
The state I live in decided I was sensible enough and trust worthy enough to send me a concealed carry license thats good for 5 years. I carry anywhere there is not a metal detector if I so choose. Jim

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Mine is good for five years too . . . but we have laws that state that if a property owner says "no guns" we have to respect and obey that request. Not only if they catch us breaking it. Of course if they don't catch you they can't make a fuss, but it is still wrong. Just like the speed limit is 75mph, if you drive 80mph your breaking the law, but you only pay the consequences if you get caught . . .

largom
12-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I for one do not like BIG gun shows. I refuse to rub elbows with 1000's of city people looking at Black guns. These shows cost from 8 to $10 to get in [ as listed in Gun Digest], don't know about parking.

I search for the small, local shows which are usually held at a gun club, fire hall, or community cnt. Entry is usually 3-$5, but it costs me more to get there do to travel. My only problem is locating these small local shows since they seldom advertise outside of their area.

Larry

Bent Ramrod
12-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Prices for the shows in my orbit are $9-$15 (sometimes less $1 off coupon) and parking is anywhere between $3 and $7.

The entry fees have risen quite rapidly in the past couple years. Some fee increases give you the option of going back for free the second day, and some have been increased for the alleged purpose of building a war chest to keep the shows open in the face of California's busy little social engineers and their legal machinations. The parking fees were nonexistent, in many cases, a few years back. There, it's pretty obvious that the owners and operators of most of these public facilities have recently decided that they don't like gun owners but will gladly take their money, as much as the "traffic" will bear.

clodhopper
12-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Just got home from local gunshow, bought three lee loaders and a six cavity lee mould, passed up six winchester moulds for 40-50 bucks, plus another table had lymans and RCBS moulds for 35 dollars. There was a 311-291 Rcbs 30-150-Sp3, .358 moulds* a couple .44s and .45s, Already have most those, and the price was not low enough to buy and resale here to pay for gas to the post office.

pmeisel
12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Went to a small one in Philadelphia MS last weekend, first trip to a gun show in years.

$6 per person. Worth it for the entertainment....