PDA

View Full Version : 45 caliber revolver/puma 92 load & RCBS 45-325-FN

RobS
12-08-2009, 12:36 AM
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 casull and a Puma 92 also chambered with the 454 casull round that I plan on reloading the RCBS 45-325-FN bullet for. I will not be pushing this one to the extreme as it is a plain base design and will be looking at around 1,200 fps or so in the revolver and the puma will be about 150 to 200 fps faster I assume.

I figure that there are others who have used this design in a Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk 45 colt as well so all information would be great. Also information on accuracy and distance shooting this bullet would be great as well.

bigdog454
12-08-2009, 03:54 PM
My puma loves everything I've fed it so far, with great accuracy. I havent shot it at greater then 50 yards, but it's very accurate with everthing from 250gr and up loads. Boolits that crono 1200fps in my SRH go about 1400fps in the puma. I have loaded a GC 300 gr lee cast with a max load of W296 for a velocity of 2050fps from the puma. Now my Ruger SRH is very finnicy about loads and accuracy seems to be best at about 1200 to 1300fps. and it likes Blue Dot powder the best.

RobS
12-09-2009, 12:36 AM
bigdog454:

Have you checked for any tight spots in your SRH barrel .i.e. where the barrel screws into the frame. Mine had a restriction there of about .002 and once I fire lapped it she now shoots anything from mild to max with great accuracy due to the barrel being smoothed out. I have to admit though shooting the near max or max loads is not something I do often nor do I want to. Blue dot...............yes it is a nice powder for the middle ground and I find that it shoots more economically for those mid fps loads and with less felt recoil vs the slower magnum pistol powders. My Puma experience, well it is the same as yours in that it has shot everything accurately and is one gun I can load for with whatever bullet or powder I have on hand.