PDA

View Full Version : Bear Bear!!!

rwt101
12-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I heard something outside, so of course I had to go and check. I grabbed my pistol and walked of to my screen porch and then outside and was face to face (no more than 3 ft) to a very large BEAR!!! Holy ****. My peeshooter pistol wouldn't have helped. I retreated very fast. We have lived her for about 13 years and never saw a bear in this area.

They get a lot in the Gatlinberg area because they are right next to the National Park. Anyway it was unexpected.
Bob T

markinalpine
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
"Holy ****"
First you said it, then you did it. :bigsmyl2:

Mark :mrgreen:

Blacksmith
12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Time to get a bigger pea shooter! Any excuse for a new gun.

Blacksmith

August
12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
It's moments like these that brought the model 29 to market.

rwt101
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
The biggest thing I have is 9mm and a shot gun with birdshot. He just turned over the trash can. Ya know this is scary.
Bob T

76 WARLOCK
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Thats why I have a 629 close by at all times.

Cactus Farmer
12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Sounds like it's time for some 00 buck and slugs for the old scatter gun,of course you need to add a S&W 44 mag for the really close work! I'll have a .429 315+ grn GC mold in a few days,so if you need some bear stoppers after you get to 44 PM me. I'll give 'em to ya if I get to hear the story and get a couple claws for my medicine bag!;)

9.3X62AL
12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Moments like these prompt wishes for something belt-fed.

rwt101
12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
This one is about 300 lbs maybe more.
Bob T

Echo
12-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Or Crew-Served!

JohnH
12-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Bear proof your trash cans and encourage your neighbors to do the same. If he don't find food, he likely won't be back. If he finds he likes trashcan dinin' you won't be able to get rid of him. From the sounds of it, at the very least he knows where to look already. Our neighbor has photos of one visitin' his deer feeder back in the early fall. The popluation is growing for sure, and they're finding new ground every year. 200 years ago this region was heavy in black bear. Davy Crockett made part of his fame hunting bear in this region. They are hardy survivors. I personally wouldn't shoot one unless it was a real threat to me. Problem is, I ain't too good at readin' a bear's mind....

rwt101
12-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Bear proof your trash cans and encourage your neighbors to do the same. If he don't find food, he likely won't be back. If he finds he likes trashcan dinin' you won't be able to get rid of him. From the sounds of it, at the very least he knows where to look already. Our neighbor has photos of one visitin' his deer feeder back in the early fall. The popluation is growing for sure, and they're finding new ground every year. 200 years ago this region was heavy in black bear. Davy Crockett made part of his fame hunting bear in this region. They are hardy survivors. I personally wouldn't shoot one unless it was a real threat to me. Problem is, I ain't too good at readin' a bear's mind....

I live within the city limits. I would think I can't shoot one unless I was in harms way. What attracked him here is that we do have some bird feeders outside. But you are right that he knew what to do about the trash container. The container is supplied by the city. The lid is not lockable. In Gatlinburg they have to have bear proof containers.

Bob T

StarMetal
12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Bob,

I"m over here in Unicoi county, couple hrs from you. There's a bear reservation here that some of the bad bears from your area get put. I have dogs and there's never any dog food outside, my garbage cans are in the garage. I try to keep the outside area around the house clean from stuff that critters would like. We don't throw any bacon grease out the kitchen window. Yet we'll have bear come cross my farm and through the yards occasionally. The largest one here so far was 410 pounds which was harvested in bear season by the bear hunters in my area. That same year some kid shot a bear over in Elizabethon that went 627 pounds.

I hope you don't have any problems.

Joe

StarMetal
12-07-2009, 09:00 PM

Most the bear around my area are killed with 30-30's and 243's. I would imagine a large black bear attacking you would be harder to drop, but generally they are no ways at all as tough as the grizzly.

I know a guy that was picking blackberries one day and he had a K 22 with him. He comes a bear and the fellow climbed the tree and went out on a limb. Perhaps he didn't know bear can climb trees, even a grizzly has been know too, but the bear got under the limb and tried to jump up at him. He shot at it one time with the 22 and thing just fell to the ground. Well the guy was so sure a 22 couldn't kill the bear he stayed on that limb for well over an hour. The bear never moved, it was dead. One 22 shot to the head.

I have no doubt in my mine my 45 acp or even my 30 Luger would drop one pretty quick.

Joe

Ricochet
12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm in town in Bristol, and it's commonplace to have bears in the neighborhood. Taking the trash cans, bird feeders and pet dishes inside at dark pretty much does away with the bear problem, and the much peskier raccoons as well. Last Sunday a friend of mine posted pics of a black bear sow and two cubs in a tree in her next door neighbor's yard at about 8:30 a.m., though. Tree was full of bird feeders.

jbunny
12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
i have spanked a few in the **** with my 12 gauge twin laser sight loaded
with LE rubber batton slugs, it's real hillarious to see the big clump of lawn
sod 30 feet in the air. they don't come back.
jb

wistlepig1
12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
The same thing happened to of a friend of mine in Casle Rock Co. but it was a Colorado Kitty Kitty, he how has a 444 marlin by the backdoor.

rwt101
12-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Well I will have to change the way I do things now. I do have some bird feeders and I will bring them in at night. No food dishes outside.

I would really like to go out and pick up the trash can so it doesn't get tossed around by the racoons.

I am about 2 blocks off of the Parkway on a ridge with about 10 other houses. The houses are pretty far apart and a lot of trees. You would not think that you were so close to the Parkway.

Bob T

Ricochet
12-07-2009, 09:20 PM
The big kitties are another matter entirely. Despite the wildlife agencies' denials they're back in the East, and one that was in my neighborhood a year and a half ago spooked me completely out of making lonely midnight walks for exercise. I still hear reports of them around the area. An old lady in my church saw one in her back yard a couple of months ago.

wistlepig1
12-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I live about 3 blocks from a Pancake House, in town of 50,000 people and one bear that likes panckes. He has been around for a few years and hasn't hurt anyone, except the pancake in the dumpster, but the Kitty Kitties should be give a lote of room, they will and have taken people. All the bears I have seen in the woods were running away, except one. Another story for another day.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
The biggest thing I have is 9mm and a shot gun with birdshot. He just turned over the trash can. Ya know this is scary.
Bob T

Get some slugs for that 12, and use this experience as an excuse to get a bigger handgun like a 44 or 45.

Rick N Bama
12-07-2009, 09:55 PM
We're just back from a weekend in Pigeon Forge (ate Breakfast this morning at the Apple Barn!). We stayed at the Ramada on the Parkway, know where that is? My wife swears she saw a small Bear last night (Sunday) cross the drive in front of us. I didn't see it & assumed that she had seen a dog or something. Maybe a bear is what she saw after all.

Rick

Ricochet
12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Black bears are commonly mistaken for big dogs.

rwt101
12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
We're just back from a weekend in Pigeon Forge (ate Breakfast this morning at the Apple Barn!). We stayed at the Ramada on the Parkway, know where that is? My wife swears she saw a small Bear last night (Sunday) cross the drive in front of us. I didn't see it & assumed that she had seen a dog or something. Maybe a bear is what she saw after all.

Rick

If you were at the Ramada North on the Parkway you were on the same side that I am on. I am about 2 blocks North of there. Apple Barn in 2 blocks North of me on the other side of the Parkway. So I am inbetween the 2.

Very good possability that she did see a bear!!
Bob T

trk
12-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Hmmm. Bear-proofing the garbage cans.

Electronic signal to inside the house annunciating the bear.
Lights, switched from the house.
Large berm to stop the big bullets from going too far.
.458WM or similar at the ready.

Jim
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I'd have broke out my Gibbs with a coupla' those 500 gr. RNBRs.

Recluse
12-07-2009, 11:44 PM

Yeah, and moments like these prompt wishes for a new cheaper-by-the-dozen bag of Fruit Of The Loom briefs afterwards.

:coffee:

JIMinPHX
12-07-2009, 11:58 PM
"Holy ****"
First you said it, then you did it. :bigsmyl2:

Mark :mrgreen:

Were that me, the order might have been reversed.

That aside, the cats worry me more than the bears do. The cats are faster, quieter & sneakier. If a bear came after me & I was armed, I think that I would have a fairly good chance of coming out on top. If a cat snuck up on me, I think that I would be turned into a sticky pile in a very short time.

Bert2368
12-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Driving down the road to mechanics this summer, saw a very realisticly shaped 3D black bear archery target in the side yard of a farmhouse, less than 100' from house or road. I was wondering why they'd done a good job of the shape but made it such an unrealistic redish color, then it turned it's head and looked at me... Stopped the rig, backed it up and we stared at each other for a few seconds before he headed into the trees.

When I got to the mechanic's place I noticed a .300 Win Mag rifle leaning against his office wall. He told me his kids had not wanted to wait by the road for the school bus due to the bears wandering through his yard. So he showed his daughters how much fun it was to chase them on a 4 wheeler! Bear problem solved- Possibly his child support problems too?

Then this August, finally got some nice sunny hot weather. All my green tomatoes started to ripen at once, I was sure I was about to harvest a good ammount. Went out to the garden to pick some, nothing but trampled vines, bear tracks and bear "sitz" marks!

Shot a nice little buck out of our North field on opening morning, left the guts, hide and head out at the side of the side of a field where I could see them from my shop. I was hoping to get a look at the coyotes I'd been hearing most nights. What I got was the bear. He ate it all. When he ate the skull, I was impressed.

I now keep the .44 mag Ruger SBH loaded, have motion detector lights over all the doors of all the buildings, and think twice about it if they're allready on when I open a door to go out after dark.

Thinking about changing my stance on bear hunting too.

rwt101
12-08-2009, 12:25 AM
There has been nights (before this siting) that I have gone outside and felt like something or someone was watching me. Maybe I was right. It makes you think once something like this happens.
Bob T

dualsport
12-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Man that's no joke. I had a scare maybe 20 yrs. ago and aint been right since. Goin' into the woods at night never bothered me at all before, didn't even carry a weapon most of the time, now I carry three flashlights and two guns! Once you've seen yourself as food things change. I was happier being dumb.

rwt101
12-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Man that's no joke. I had a scare maybe 20 yrs. ago and aint been right since. Goin' into the woods at night never bothered me at all before, didn't even carry a weapon most of the time, now I carry three flashlights and two guns! Once you've seen yourself as food things change. I was happier being dumb.

Yep I can go along with that. I very often was going out without my gun. Been outside a lot at night. We have a long driveway that is not lit very well and I take the trash out to the road in the dark. I think I will be doing it in the light from now on.

Bob T

Rick N Bama
12-08-2009, 06:20 AM
If you were at the Ramada North on the Parkway you were on the same side that I am on. I am about 2 blocks North of there. Apple Barn in 2 blocks North of me on the other side of the Parkway. So I am inbetween the 2.

Very good possability that she did see a bear!!
Bob T

That's exactly where we were. Thing is, it was about 9:00 & there was a fair amount of traffic. I guess the bears are used to that & just tune it out. I have to wonder how they can ever get across the Parkway with all the traffic there is.

Rick

eka
12-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Bob, relax man it was probably just my mother-in-law. She was down that way shopping at the outlet malls and looks a lot like what you are describing. I'll have a word with her. :bigsmyl2:

Keith

rwt101
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Bob, relax man it was probably just my mother-in-law. She was down that way shopping at the outlet malls and looks a lot like what you are describing. I'll have a word with her. :bigsmyl2:

Keith

Now that's funny!!!
Bob T

DanM
12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Mine is a foothills community on the eastern side of the Smokies. We are just starting to get regular bear sightings around here. Also a big kitty sighting or two. Wildlife agent told me that the kitties were released in the mountains and they may wander down here. OT: I hope the new elk population does as well as the blackies, but I don't think they have enough habitat to thrive....

rwt101
12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I hope the new elk population does as well as the blackies, but I don't think they have enough habitat to thrive....

I hope they do also.
Bob T

StarMetal
12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I hope the new elk population does as well as the blackies, but I don't think they have enough habitat to thrive....

I hope they do also.
Bob T

Bob, our elk program is a big joke. All it is, is for a few higher ups in the state govt to be able to shoot an elk here without going out west. There's plenty of habitat, it's food that is the problem.

Joe

Tazman1602
12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Time to get a bigger pea shooter! Any excuse for a new gun.

Blacksmith

I second what Blacksmith said!! Tell wife there's bears in them woods and you NEED it!!

TooManyMisses
12-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Shooting a bear in the head with anything is a lucky shot or in the case of the guy on the limb with a .22 the bear must have been looking at something at its own level so his shot hit on the flat part on top of the skull and went directly into the brain. Even shooting a bear in the eye will only hit a fairly thick bone that protects the brain and will only make a half blind bear ugly. When the adrenalin gets going they will not be stopped easily and I wouldn't even rely on a .44 mag which has the same energy at the muzzle as a 30-30 at 100 yards.

TMM

Tom308
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
You mean you people don't use switches for bear hunting. I got big guns and enough money for a ticket out of town if the guns don't work. I'm glad you are safe. That's the main thing.

hoss-noogy
12-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Shooting a bear in the head with anything is a lucky shot or in the case of the guy on the limb with a .22 the bear must have been looking at something at its own level so his shot hit on the flat part on top of the skull and went directly into the brain. Even shooting a bear in the eye will only hit a fairly thick bone that protects the brain and will only make a half blind bear ugly. When the adrenalin gets going they will not be stopped easily and I wouldn't even rely on a .44 mag which has the same energy at the muzzle as a 30-30 at 100 yards.

TMM

Shoot him in both eyes and get downwind . He cant see or smell ya.

Problem solved

dualsport
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
The thought of being eaten by some beast disturbs me, for some reason. I still occasionally go into the wilderness alone, and remind myself that lightning poses a bigger risk statistically. When I was a youngster I worked in a SCUBA shop, new students would invariably(nice, huh?) invariably ask about sharks. I was not the least bit concerned about sharks,back then, and would tell them they were in more danger while driving to the coast or more likely to be struck by lightning than bit by a shark. It worked on some and others never came back. Now I do worry about sharks, lions, and bears, at least a little. I think it comes from age, realising that I'm not bulletproof. A guy got his head bit off 100 yds. from my favorite north coast abalone spot. How do you just block that out? Now I catch myself watching shadows, even though I know if my number comes up it will be so fast I won't have time to do squat but bleed. A woman was partially devoured by a cougar less than 50 miles from my house. I was happier when I was dumb! But I do still go where I want to go, whether a remote wilderness or the Great White breeding grounds, just a little more aware of my surroundings now.

FISH4BUGS
12-08-2009, 05:14 PM
We have bears. They aren't huge for the most part. They are just trying to make a living like the rest of us. I wouldn't shoot one for just being on the porch, but if they tried to do some harm, a 44 mag works very nicely.
Keep the feeders and suet in, keep your trash covered and there is no food. They won't be back. Give them something to eat and you can't get rid of them.
It is really nice when the deer and the turkeys come around. Kinda nice to watch them. Bears? They are more afraid of you than you are of them.

rwt101
12-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I can tell you that the image of that bear is burned into my mind. It made no attemp to retreat.

Bob T

StarMetal
12-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I can tell you that the image of that bear is burned into my mind. It made no attemp to retreat.

Bob T

Might have been a Smokey Mountain National Park bear that's not afraid of people. You're worse kind.

Joe

rwt101
12-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Might have been a Smokey Mountain National Park bear that's not afraid of people. You're worse kind.

Joe

I would say you are probably right. I have a police scanner and listen to Gatlinburg Police a lot. They really have a lot of bear calls. One of the last one that I heard was some people trying to get to there car and the bears would not leave. They even set off the horn on the car with there remote and it didn't bother them.

Bob T

StarMetal
12-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I would say you are probably right. I have a police scanner and listen to Gatlinburg Police a lot. They really have a lot of bear calls. One of the last one that I heard was some people trying to get to there car and the bears would not leave. They even set off the horn on the car with there remote and it didn't bother them.

Bob T

Those are usually the bears they round up (trap) and send to various bear reservations like the one near me.

Joe

Ricochet
12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
In Tennessee's history there have been two documented black bear attacks on people. Both were recent, in the Smokies. I saw a TV show a few nights ago about the woman who was badly mauled, nearly killed, and whose 6 year old daughter was killed.

I blame the people who feed the bears and treat them like pets and photo props for taking away their fear of people and giving them the idea that people = food source.

jlchucker
12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
My youngest brother and his wife (a town girl) live on part of the old family farm, bordering on a State Forest. One pleasant Saturday morning Bonnie went out into the living room and looked out at the bird feeder--it was bent over and a black bear (Jim guessed about a hundred pounds or so) had the feeder in both paws and was chowing down. When he ambled away, into the nearby swamp, they removed the bird feeder. They named him Bubba--and have seen him a few times since. Harmless enough now that nobody in the area leaves garbage out or bird feeders hanging. He hasn't got after anyone's horses or pets--and even local hunters kind of root for old Bubba to make it through each season. They got a few nearby, but ol' Bubba manages to survive now, and coexist with the folks. Jim's 30-30 is near the door to the sundeck, though--just in case.

rwt101
12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
In Tennessee's history there have been two documented black bear attacks on people. Both were recent, in the Smokies. I saw a TV show a few nights ago about the woman who was badly mauled, nearly killed, and whose 6 year old daughter was killed.

I blame the people who feed the bears and treat them like pets and photo props for taking away their fear of people and giving them the idea that people = food source.

When we take a ride to Cades Cove you see the tourists getting out of the cars and heading right for the bears to get a picture. Maybe they think they are tame and on the payrole for the park!!!

Bob T

BruceB
12-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Contrary to a LOT of opinions, black bears are no joke, and it's not just the ones habituated to human contact.

We lived in the wilderness of the Northwest Territories for decades, and had numerous bear contacts within that time, including some literally on our doorstep.

I learned from experience that the Number One Rule is very simple: we can not predict what any one bear will do on any given day.

As a result, I ALWAYS carried a .44 Magnum whenever I left the house or camp, and was glad to have it on a number of occasions.

When working or camping in the wilds, it was SOP to leave a rifle well-outside camp when leaving for the day, in the pious belief that it was better to have the rifle outside the tent....when the bear was INSIDE the tent. I still carried the .44 all the time, though.

I HAD to kill a bear one morning, maybe a foot or two off the muzzle of my .303 Jungle Carbine, and he was coming, no mistake.

A few months after we left the North, a man was killed and partly eaten by a healthy wilderness black bear, not more than a mile from our former home.

Be careful with black bears!

Ricochet
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Not too long ago I saw a TV show about bear attacks, in which some expert said that a grizzly generally attacks because you're in his territory or he feels threatened, and he's going to put you down. Cower, protect really vital parts like your neck, and he'll likely leave you alone after munching on you a bit. Fighting back may further agitate him, and isn't recommended. He said that while black bears very seldom attack, if a black bear comes after you he intends to kill you and won't likely quit until he does, so you should fight with anything you've got. You have nothing to lose.

One of the people killed in the Smokies not too long ago was partly eaten by the black bear.

rwt101
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't want to be his dinner!!! I just bought a S&W SIGMA in 9mm. I was going to get the 40cal. Now I wish I had.
Bob T

PatMarlin
12-10-2009, 10:12 AM
A guy got his head bit off 100 yds. from my favorite north coast abalone spot. How do you just block that out?

Lordy I remember when that happened. He was a leader and advocate for our fishing rights.

I remember his buddy who was with him in the water say he felt something real big brush up against him as it swam buy, and then went over and bit the other guys head off.

You abalone guys are nutz anyway. Diving for food in a great white's backyard. I could never want ab that bad. I fish out of Shelter Cove, up the coast from where that happened.

SCUBA huh... Remember FAT Jack?

I'm glad we have no bears- well I've seen tracks but not one bear in 10 years.

Bert2368
12-10-2009, 11:52 AM
List of bear fatalities for North America:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America?wasRed irected=true

One of my friends is on this list. When I was going to school nights and cooking breakfast at a hotel mornings, I made Gary an omelette his last morning before he left, and he told me about going hiking in Glacier for his vacation. We never saw him again. What the bear didn't eat was found months later.

Read the list, it shows which species where known. Actually split just about 50:50 between blackies and browns/grizzlies.

1874Sharps
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Richochet,

Might I say you look most festive in your Santa hat and beard!

I went hunting bear once, but I got so cold I wore clothes the next time. Nowadays I go into the wild with a buddy and figure I only have to run faster than he can if a bear comes after us. I keep a squirt bottle of honey handy to spray my buddy just in case he is faster than I am.

Ricochet
12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
if you go bare hunting around here in warmer weather, the skeeters will eat you up!

waksupi
12-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Due to strange circumstances, I once stalked a deer while naked, with a bow and arrow.
I also chased packrats around camp one night with a .45ACP while in the buff.
I see no reason the same outfit couldn't be used for bears.

dualsport
12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
FAT Jack? Did he work out of a shop in Sacto.? I used to work at a little shop called Diver's Cove on Auburn Blvd. The name rings a bell, but I can't place it. Over the years I've dove some cool places, including a Phillipine cave at 100 ft. The black tips go in there to sleep, you can get right up to them with a light, they seem froze, except for the gills moving. I have to admit I'm about burnt out on ab diving. Impersonating their favorite food is getting a little too intense for me, I'm getting more cautious in my old age, and feebler. It's rough out there, even without smiley. But man that abalone is good! The nights in camp are where it's at. I'm still trying to get out of town to hunt bear before they close it, worked up a nice load for my SBH with the Lee 310.

Catshooter
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
" They are more afraid of you than you are of them."

I've heard that line before. Disney, perhaps?

At any rate, even though that line makes it sound like you're not really in any danger from the critter, I think that when they "are more afraid of you" is when they can be the most dangerous.

I wouldn't enjoy a three foot surprise encounter either. Definatley time for a fresh pair of briefs.

Cat

jbunny
12-11-2009, 01:19 AM
i had a big blackie comeing at me this summer in my yard. i walked out of my shop
with some scrap steel going to my scrap pile and walked across diagnaly accross
my driveway and to my scrap pile. i threw the steel on the pile and turned around to come back and where i had crossed the drive way is blackie commeing at me at a good pace. no time to think and u cannot outrun them. i put my hands up in the air and
the loudess growling yell that i ever made and at the same time i charged him. he was about 20 yds away. he made a 90 deg turned and in 3 bounds he was across the lawn
and into the tall timber. my undies stayed clean but my heart skipped a beat when i first saw him. i have been looking over my sholder a lot since then.. i have shot
one bear 3 ft from me when i pushed the tent flap back and another one that pulled
my tent down because my buddys had put a fresh hind quarter of moose behind my tent. needless to says i scared the **** out of them when i flew them out and they
didn't hunt with me any more.
jb

rwt101
12-11-2009, 01:28 AM
I had my 9mm Mak pistol on me, but I don't know if that would have helped if it would have leaped at me. I would have tried to get it out of the holster and emptied the mag.

I am very leary of going out at night. But as you said daytime can be just as bad. I am 66 yrs old and do not have the fastest response time anymore.
Bob T

Blammer
12-11-2009, 02:44 PM
An article in the local Asheville paper said that NC has the largest black bear population it's had in 20 years. They said they have over 10,000 on the count.

they are expecting to do away with some bear sancturaries and increase the bear season.

I'd vote 12ga with anything you can shoot out of it. At 9 yds or less it will be effective.

dualsport
12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
12 ga. for sure, if it's possible. After a close encounter years ago I swore I'd never go back in the woods at night without one. Some of you guys live closer to the wilderness than I do, it almost sounds like you're living in a time warp, still facing the same things our early pioneers faced. Gotta admit it puts a little excitement in the old routine, doesn't it? We haven't covered gators here yet, any swamp dwellers here? EDIT; Reading another post here gave me an idea, maybe you could shoot those bears in your yard(if they're not attacking you) in the but with rubber shotgun slugs or those beanbag things, might run 'em off for good and no harm done.

rwt101
12-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Even though my encounter was at night, it can come in the daytime as well. I am used to all the small animals coming out at night, like the pesky raccoons. I have to be vigalant during the day also. I do have my 12 ga, but I can't carry it all the time.

Bob T

geargnasher
12-12-2009, 12:50 AM
This is one of the many reasons why I live in Texas! We have (not counting the Zoos) a current statewide population of eleven black bears, and they all reside in the Chisos Mountains of Big Bend national park. Quite a ways from my house.

Now Kitty-Cats, that's another matter. Used to be a Den on my property, occasionally one gets killed in the area by nearby ranchers or game wardens.

Gear

PatMarlin
12-12-2009, 11:17 AM
FAT Jack? Did he work out of a shop in Sacto.?

He owned the dive shop at Mother Lode- Keene dealer downtown sac for years. My wife and her family dived for years. My ears can't take it.

PatMarlin
12-12-2009, 11:20 AM
California is a cat sanctuary ..:roll:

dualsport
12-12-2009, 02:52 PM
When talking to locals in a far north California county I was told the cougar policy was 'shoot 'em, shovel 'em, and shutup'. Modoc is infested I'm told.

BOOM BOOM
12-12-2009, 05:34 PM
hi,
So many are pushing the S&W m-29/629, good guns, but so is the colt andaconda if you don'T mind paying too much!
Best gun for the money & clearly stronger than the 3 above is the RUGER REDHAWK IN 44 MAG.
I have shot all 4 and prefer the REDHAWK.
BUT A GOOD RIFLE WOULD BE BETTER IN THIS SITUATION.