PDA

View Full Version : Confused on an issue of resizeing.

Changeling
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
There is an issue of size of bullets that is somewhat confusing to me.

If you have a mold that drops bullets at the size you want, give or take .0005 why should it be run through a lube sizer to "some" exact size. You could add lube by finger or does it supposedly come out straighter for some reason. I want to do it the best way I can, but I also want to know why?

mpmarty
12-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Some folks who cast and get the boolits the size they desire hand apply lube and then push the boolit through a sizer to force the lube into the grooves and scrape off any excess.

Springfield
12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Because a lubrisizer lubes bullets WAY faster than smearing the lube on by hand. It also assures you that you don't get a rogue oversize bullet.

R.C. Hatter
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
:coffee:Because the use of the lubrisizer is so much faster, cleaner, and more efficient in the overall operation of of loading of a cartridge. You don't have lube all over your hands, nor your work area, and the bullet, if slightly out of round, is trued up, only needing a check of the base, to see if it has to be cleaned of lube prior to actual loading.

atr
12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
ok,,,yes a lubsizer is usually faster,,,,but your question is well taken...

I dont run mine through a lub sizer if they are boolits without gas checks and if they cast at the size I need. then I just set them in a pan and pour molten lubricant around them....then I use a kake cutter to remove them from the solidified lubricant. yes it is slower but it works just fine.

beagle
12-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, you could do that but after doing about a box, I'm sure you'll say, "There has to be a better way than this" I started out pan lubing and sizing in a 310 tool sizing chamber and after about one night of that, I uttered those same words./beagle

mrbill2
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
If you are serious about cast bullets and plan on shooting and loading hundreds of cast, then a lube and sized is for you. Saeco made by Redding.

Mk42gunner
12-07-2009, 09:58 PM
When I first started casting seriously, I hand lubed a few, (less than 20), Lee 58 cal REAL bullets. I decided real quick that if I was going to cast for cartridge guns that there would be a better way, (read better as faster and less messy).

Robert

HammerMTB
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
There is an issue of size of bullets that is somewhat confusing to me.

If you have a mold that drops bullets at the size you want, give or take .0005 why should it be run through a lube sizer to "some" exact size. You could add lube by finger or does it supposedly come out straighter for some reason. I want to do it the best way I can, but I also want to know why?

If you are casting boos that are within a half thou of "just right" and they are consistently so, you have the option of not using a sizer and just lubing them with LLA.
I try to lube as many of my pistol boolits that way as I can. It takes me 10 minutes (a generous estimate) to get all my stuff out, lube with LLA, then pick up and clean up when dry, for say 200 boolits.
Anybody that can run 200 thru a lube-sizer in 10 minutes has my respect :bigsmyl2:
To me it's about economy of my time.

runfiverun
12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
200 in 10 minutes is flying, it takes me about 15 minutes to do 200.

Edubya
12-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I load as consistently as possible. To make that possible, I have to cast, lube and size as consistently as possible. I decided that due to slight variations of the molten lead my boolits were not coming out as exact as a sizer would provide. I now have three sizers and each one is set up and dedicated to a particular caliber with the proper lube and die. I will generally lube 500 or more at one go.
I'm not an expert at anything but I've convinced myself that what I'm doing is eliminating as many possible causes of shooting less than perfect as I can. Start with a good foundation and you're more likely to have a solid structure.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
EW

12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Have to agree that a lubrisizer assures consistency. Speed is not one of my boolit production priorities. In fact, I just bought a single-cavity mould for some added help in the consistency department.

sqlbullet
12-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Sizing a bullet down ensures consistency. I don't need that level of precision for the shooting I do.

Therefore I tumble lube with LLA, any only size bullets that cast to large to chamber properly.

Changeling
12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks to everyone. I have a new Lubrisizer RCBS, I just have never used it yet and wanted to find out why. Consistency and speed answers everything.

TAWILDCATT
12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
you dont have to size with the machine but you can have the die lube the bullet.
the main thing is the bullet should be a little larger than the bore.and has to fit the throat of the chamber in a revolver.