PDA

View Full Version : comps and cast

12-07-2009, 04:23 PM
how bad it it to shoot cast -lead bullets in a gun with a comp. on it? will the lead build up ?

deltaenterprizes
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
The lead builds up and you just scrape it out with a screwdriver and put it back in the pot.

Aegis
12-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I use dental picks for my taurus 608. Just clean it every time you shot.

yondering
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Are you talking about a real compensator, or a ported barrel?

Lead may build up in a compensator, but nothing that can't be cleaned out. Depends on the comp, your gun, and the load of course. Gas checks may help reduce or eliminate lead buildup too.

KYCaster
12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Way back when comp guns were new in IPSC it wasn't unusual for chunks of built up lead to break loose from the comp and try to exit along with the boolit, causing fliers, spitting lead and sometimes damaging the comp.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've been told that a coating of welder's anti-splatter stuff will help a lot.

Jerry

jhrosier
12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
. will the lead build up ?

Plain based boolits will fill the comp up with HEAVY deposits of lead.
I used to struggle to clean the comp on my .357 revolver and it would take several hours to scrape out the deposits.
I was shooting a couple of thousand rounds per month and the leading would eventually reduce the opening in the comp to less than .38 caliber. This didn't help the accuracy of the gun at all.
Then I found that a half dozen rounds of full-house loads with 125 gr jacketed bullets over a full load of H110 would do the job in a couple of seconds. I'm sure that the pressures were high, so do this at your own peril.

Jack

MtGun44
12-07-2009, 10:50 PM
I shot about 70,000 rds in .38 Super with a Wilson LE comp. Lead boolits at about 1250
fps VERY hot load for .38 Super. In any case, lead did build up in the comp, but if you put
a few drops of oil in the comp every so often, it would scrape out fairly easily. Without oil
it got pretty hard and you almost had to chisel it out, really - I used a very sharp tipped
scraper to dig and break it up. Oiled it after that.

Bill

Bloodman14
12-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Good question; I have a Tapco muzzle brake on my Tapcoed SKS, and I do get some buildup of lead/powder residue. I can get most of it with a pick. I'll have to try the anti-spatter trick.