PDA

View Full Version : pretty lookin gas checks??

charger 1
05-17-2006, 06:37 PM
right now I'm using hornady. Where do I get those ones I see in pictures on the net and in books that look like their individually machined out of brass. Nice square edges and a more yellow color like brass . I'd like to get some in 458. They look like they would wipe a bore better....

Bucks Owin
05-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Hornady GCs are pretty hard to beat IMHO. (Except for price!) They have a raised section that "bites into" the boolit. One's I've recovered usually have the GC still firmly attached....

FWIW,

Dennis

Not sure about "wiping action"....

charger 1
05-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Hornady GCs are pretty hard to beat IMHO. (Except for price!) They have a raised section that "bites into" the boolit. One's I've recovered usually have the GC still firmly attached....

FWIW,

Dennis

Not sure about "wiping action"....

Oh dont get me wrong,I'm not dissapointed with the hornady's. I just think that if there is one that has a little more brass than copper it would scrape any and all lead,lube,etc etc out of bore

StarMetal
05-18-2006, 07:09 AM
I know you fellows are proabably aware of the zinc scraper disk system tha Corbin swage make. Just check it out on his website. It's suppose to do exactly what you all are talking about...scrape the bore with each shot.

Joe

waksupi
05-18-2006, 08:36 AM
I know you fellows are proabably aware of the zinc scraper disk system tha Corbin swage make. Just check it out on his website. It's suppose to do exactly what you all are talking about...scrape the bore with each shot.

Joe

Joe, I had cast some bullets from a friend's mold for that design. My observation was, it would be a pain in the butt to cast very many of them!, or should I say, install the little zinc gizmo.

HORNET
05-18-2006, 08:38 AM
The brass-looking ones that I've seen have all been Lymam/Ideal. These don't crimp on and have been accused of occasionally falling off upon exiting the muzzle and causing flyers ( and eating the occasional chronograph). The old Sierras, Warners, RCBSs, etc littering my bench are all coppery (even the non-crimps).
BTW, the Corbins sound an awful lot like the old Harvey Protex-bore discs. I have seen a couple of the special molds for the Harvey's at gun shows recently.
Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choice.:bigsmyl2:

Dale53
05-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Teh Corbin Zinc washers are NOT used with cast bullets like the Harvey discs. They are swaged on the swaged bulllets. I am sure that they work fine, but they will cost you for equipment. They are swaged on convex so that they will adapt to varying barrel size (within limits). The Harvey idea failed because you had to have exact barrel dimensions for them to work. Quite often, they did not.

Bullet swaging has some good points. Cleaner and probably a lot easier than casting (no smelting, working with molten metal, etc) but the equipment costs have been the "off putter" for me...

FWIW
Dale53

StarMetal
05-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Dale

You are most correct. You'd have to have a machine minigun to recoop Corbins swage equipment prices. The are ridiculous. We're shooters, not polo players...if we were filthy rich we'd either be shooting factory or having someone do all the cast loading, more then likely not shoot all except for Skeet.

Joe

shdwlkr
05-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Just a question here but I thought all gas checks right now are being manufactured by Hornady.
I know that the lymans and a few others are hornadys

Bucks Owin
05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Just a question here but I thought all gas checks right now are being manufactured by Hornady.
I know that the lymans and a few others are hornadys

I've heard this too but have my doubts. The Hornady and Lyman GCs I have look nothing like each other....

FWIW,

Dennis

I've also heard that H-110 and W-296 are the same powder, both made by Olin, and repackaged by Hodgdon. Don't you believe it!

charger 1
05-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Whats the deal with these Gator's I saw mentioned on this forum. I take it it was a group buy. I wonder if it will be offered again? Or for that matter if theres a spare few 458's around. I'm just the kinda guy thats always searching for something new

35remington
05-18-2006, 10:11 PM
The gas checks that have been smacking my chronograph screens are usually crimp on.

Bret4207
05-19-2006, 06:54 AM
35 Rem- Not being a wise guy, but if your GC are the Hornadys and their coming off I'd suspect a slighty undersize GC shank combined with a little spring back is the culprit. You can try annealing the GC's and see if that helps. The other chance is that the checks aren't being seated completely, that they are stuck to the lower, smaller part of the GC shank. Sometime running a thumbnail around the GC shank will reveal a slight ridge that keeps the check from seating all the way. Just a couple thoughts I hope might help a little.

Bucks Owin
05-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I use a tip I got from Skeeter Skelton, that is to run my thumbnail around the base of the boolit giving it a slight chamfer. Then after installing the gascheck, I rap the boolit base against the bench a time or two before sizing. Worked for Skeeter and works for me....

Dennis

lovedogs
05-19-2006, 10:31 AM
The only bullet I'm using with a GC is a Saeco design and I'm told they are designed with a special taper where the GC goes on. The Hornady GC crimps on real tight and, as far as I can tell, never come off. I don't know if other mould brands are done this way or not. After seeing these posts I've also wondered if bullet alloys might have something to do with this. I've not seen any mention of this. I'm using 20:1 and Lyman #2 alloys with good results. Could other alloys have some spring back or other sizing problems that don't allow good seating/crimping of the GC? Just some things to think about.

35remington
05-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys, but I already do those things, including annealing. Don't help. What I've found is that the moulds that do this need is to have the check shank lapped out to give it a greater diameter, so the check fits closely. That works, but it is a PITA, and I'm doing it slowly to those moulds that are the biggest offenders. I have to be careful because overlarge check shanks are a pain too. It seems a lot of mould manufacturers like to err on the side of too small to avoid the complaints of customers who can't get gachecks on.

My point is, I guess, that I don't take it for granted that crimped stay on or that slip on fall off from off the shelf moulds.

charger 1
05-19-2006, 07:12 PM
right now I'm using hornady. Where do I get those ones I see in pictures on the net and in books that look like their individually machined out of brass. Nice square edges and a more yellow color like brass . I'd like to get some in 458. They look like they would wipe a bore better....

Well glad we got that covered[smilie=1: