PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first 9mm cast today!

chemist308
12-06-2009, 09:38 PM
All I have to say is wow. I can't believe I ever paid good money for the garbage I was shooting. And I feel so vindicated it's not even funny.

You see, I took to the range this afternoon with my 357, my 9mm and between the two about 200 rounds of reloads using wheel weight bullets I cast myself. So, that would have been what, $80 worth of ammo if they were factory loads?! I also took some factory loads in my 9mm. To tell the truth as to why I cast 9mm, I figured I was spending so much in 9mm ammo I had to cut the cost or I'd never learn to shoot it.

I took no photos because they'd just humiliate me. But I put up three 18"x12" shoot-n-c targets and started with my 9mm with six factory loads going for my left target at 10 yards. My shots did what they normally did. They went wild--as typical, it looked worse than a shotgun pattern with an IC choke. Three out of six actually hit the edge of the target. Don't know about the other three. I was used to it and determined to learn to shoot my 9mm, thinking it was all me.

Then I dropped the clip and put six rounds that I made. These were cast from Lee Mould TL356-124-2R, loaded with 4.5 grains of bullseye and seated to an average overall round length of 1.164 inches. All six shots were on target and within about 4 inches of the bullseye. Two of those rounds actually put bullets through the same hole, leaving one larger ragged hole. My shot grouping was 4 inches, with a tendency to go a little high and left.

I'm probably never going to shoot another factory load through that thing again...

Oh and my 357 did well with the 38s I fed it. It was so liberating to have inexpensive ammo that I decided to fan the thing once, putting 4 out of 6 rounds on target in a slightly curved line just 3 inches above the bullseye--albeit they ranged from one edge of the target to the other, and the other two were off target...

frankmako
12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
that is the way it goes. i started casting in 1982, i have not look back, hard to do it all yourself. i make some of the best, well i think i do. well they work for me.

Cherokee
12-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the world of casting & loading. The only factory loads I shoot are for control against my reloads with my cast bullets. It is very rewarding when your ammo - your cast and your loading - beats the factory stuff. And for a lot less money !! That means you can shoot a lot more, get that practice that will help you improve your shooting. I might suggest you focus on sight picture, trigger control and follow through.

Shiloh
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM
The only factory ammo I buy and shoot is .22 long rifle.

Shiloh

beagle
12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
And.....there's so much 9mm brass laying around waiting to be recycled./beagle