PDA

View Full Version : NEF/H&R Slave Pin

EMC45
12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Just got done fabbing a slave pin for my Handis and my Topper shotgun. I had some mild steel rod and chucked in my hand drill. Went at with a triangle file and reduced it to .190 diameter and then parted it off with a hacksaw at a length of .550. The slave pin is imperative when putting one of these back together! It works for the transfer bar/barrel latch assembly and also with the trigger group assembly. Just wanted to throw it out there if it could help someone out....Evan :cbpour:

As a side note I ordered the firing pin (reason for rebuilding) from Brownells for the Topper and it came with a too fat diameter. I had to chuck it as well in my hand drill and reduce it in diameter so it would fit through the FP hole in the breachface.

johnlaw484
01-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Broken drill bits of the correct diameter work as slave pins, too.

peter nap
01-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I just use the back end of drill bits unless I need to fish for something. Then I taper whatever is at hand.

Handi H&R has the worst quality control of any company I know. Everything has to be fitted like the firing pin.

While you have it apart, you should replace the hammers like I did on all mine. use the older H&R hammers from Numerich, with the half cock notch. Then you can toss the transfer bars in the trash (They are a big source of trouble with the Handi's.

You have to replace the spring and do a little bending on it, but it isn't much of a problem.

mroliver77
01-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Hmmm,
I have half a dozen H&R/ NEF and have never had trouble with the transfer bar. What type of trouble Peter? It is a pain getting all that stuff back inside one.;)
Jay

peter nap
01-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Hmmm,
I have half a dozen H&R/ NEF and have never had trouble with the transfer bar. What type of trouble Peter? It is a pain getting all that stuff back inside one.;)
Jay

They break on some and nearly all, rub somewhere on the frame. They also cause misfires and poor ignition if you short stroke the trigger. Some people grind the hammer face to get more firing pin protrusion with the bars in.

I only had trouble with one and that was enough. I started buying old style hammers and canning the bars.

The transfer bars are one of the things on Greybeards "have a spare" list.

rockrat
01-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I had a transfew bar "pop" out of the action, when I was out at the range.