PDA

View Full Version : Crystal structure of two different alloys

zomby woof
12-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I used min-muffin tins for the first time yesterday. I noticed something kind of strange. It's not near as noticeable with Lyman ingots. The structure of the lead is quite different in the two alloys I smelted. The one on the left is WW and the right is indoor range scrap. It must be the way the lead is mixed with Tin/Antimony. Both were smelted in the exact same way.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/100_3035.JPG

lwknight
12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
The larger mosaic look means less antimony. It looks to me that its practically nil by appearance. Once you get to about 1 or more percent antimony, they all look alike.

Also you will find that if cast into a cold mold they are bright and shiny and as the mold gets hotter the more crystal-ish or matte they look.

geargnasher
12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I had that same "Galvanized" look to boolits cast from a couple of theatre curtain counterweights I melted down. They made great boolits, cast well with a little tin added, and looked just like galvanized roofing tin on the surface, with that flaky, faceted pattern. The alloy also left a dull purple/gold skin near the bottom of the pot if left undisturbed during casting, another sign of it being mostly lead, but the boolits were about 12 bhn with onlyn 2% tin added. Never figured it out, but I bet LWKnight has it right.

Gear

Gunslinger
12-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Holy s*** you guys are like a frickin dictionary :coffeecom.

(The forum inserted the * itself)

(Wonder if it will do it with this word too... ready.... ****!)

(Ha ha this is awesome)

lwknight
12-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Can someone explain the previous post?
I'm lost.

Dogchaser
12-06-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm lost.

He is simply amazed how smart the forum members are and fascinated with the auto edit for profanity.

;)

357maximum
12-06-2009, 02:45 AM
I'm lost.

apparently you have never mixed extreme boredom and vodka[smilie=b: