PDA

View Full Version : My new star

emptyhead
12-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys for the advice, I just sat down the other day to run my first bullets through the star. It took some trial and error to get the punch set right but when everything was set I just blew through about 800 bullets in no time. Do any of you guys set gas checks with your star. I guess I will be selling most of my lyman stuff.

Edubya
12-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Congratulations!
I hope that you checked the size before you did that many. When I first started with my star, I ran some 2-300 boolits through and started loading them up. I had ordered a .430 die. I got leading and started checking... should have gotten a .431 die. Well, it could have been worse. I reamed the .430 die and used the heads that I had previously sized for fluxing my new alloy:)
EW

garandsrus
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
emptyhead,

The star works great when seating gas checks. The punch pushes them firmly onto the base while sizing the boolit.

John

seagiant
12-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi,
In the late 70's I knew a guy that worked at an old gas station that made and sold lead bullets for people that reloaded but did not want or have a place to cast. When I saw him use the Star I never considered anything else. I now own 5! I guess I like them and yes,you have the best lubesizer for applying gas checks!

Dennis Eugene
12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Nice to hear from someone who wasn't completely out smarted by the star. There is a learning curve, but hey if I can figger one out anybody should be able to. I also seat gas checks with mine because no one told me I couldn't so I just did, works very well. Might be time to think about changing your handle. Dennis

Fixxah
12-05-2009, 09:16 PM
IMO, you may need a larger diameter punch for seating gas checks. The punch that came with mine is too small to get near the edge of the check and will not put them on flat. Lathesmith can make them or wait and order from Magma.

opentop
12-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Congratulations!

I set my new star up this last spring. It is my first lubsizer, I never owned a Lyman or RCBS, so I don’t know how they compare. I didn’t have any problems setting mine up an running. It sure is a joy to work with.

I need to order some more dies from lathesmith. My .358 die only has one row of holes, (I ordered it that way) I just finished sizing some 358’s with two lube grooves. I lubed one groove, then adjusted the top punch and ran them through again filling the other groove. Worked like a charm, but when I start sizing mass quantities, I’ll need a die with 2 rows of holes.

I order dies specific to each boolit I’m using. That way I don’t have to fool around plugging and unplugging holes in the die when I change boolit configurations.

Next up is a die set and new top punch to size and seat gas checks for .311 30 cal.

blikseme300
12-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Emptyhead,

Congratulations on your Star. You have already, like myself, learned that nothing beats a Star in performance. Hope that Edubya is not right that you might have undersized. I would guess not as you already have been sizing.

Opentop,

Are you sure you really need to lube both grooves? I have read many an article where only 1 of the multi grooves were filled. I do like your work around though to do both grooves.

Bliksem

emptyhead
12-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I checked and the bullets are sized right. Lathesmith makes a nice die. The only thing I have noticed with my star is the high pressure injector pump is a little slow coming back when I cycle the handle back up. Could be the lube, I'm using BAC. Thanks for all the information guys.

opentop
12-06-2009, 09:59 AM
the high pressure injector pump is a little slow coming back when I cycle the handle back up.

Are you using heat? I just wonder if you used a heater if that would soften the lube up to allow it to return normally. I'm using Carnauba Red, so I’m using heat.

Bliksem

I was wondering that last night, Just might have to try a few and see how they perform with only one groove filled.

emptyhead
12-06-2009, 10:42 AM
No heat. Maybe the next project to work on.

eljefe
12-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I was fortunate enough to be given two Star sizers. They were pretty grimy,
as they had been sitting in a garage for some time. I cleaned them up and have
used them to size .358 and .454.

The lube I am using is semi-hard and I have been heating it with a shop light.
I turn the light on and let it set for about half an hour and it flows real nice.

I didn't find it particularly difficult, but I did download the directions from magma's
website. I like it a good bit better than my rcbs machine. Changing dies and punches is a lot faster with the Star.

I want to get another die for sizing my 44-40 bullets and try some different lube.
I am considering setting up one of the Stars with black powder lube and keeping the other for smokeless pistol loads.