PDA

View Full Version : Leeks and Bacon

waksupi
05-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Here is an easy one. Get a few leeks, a pound of bacon, and some rice. Brown the bacon, cut up in basically square pieces. Drain, and then fry up the leeks, cut into about one inch pieces. You clean the leeks by cutting lengthwise, rinsing well, then cutting to length. Add the bacon back in, when they are cooked. Garlic can also be added.
In a sauce pan, put in some butter, and your rice. Stir and cook, until the rice turns white. Then, add water, and cook. Cooking it this way, prevents it from being sticky.
When everything is cooked, put the leeks and bacon over a bed of rice, and add soy sauce to taste.

fatnhappy
05-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Change "rice" to potato and you'll have standard table fare around here. I love potato and leek soups.
I've been known to take extra baked potatos from a previous meal, skin them, brown them in butter with leeks and serve them with pan fried bratwurst. Good stuff if your cholesterol is under 200.

fatnhappy
05-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Since you twisted my arm...........
here's one of my favorite venison recipes served over rice. It's fantastic in a slow cooker if you let it simmer for 4 or 5 hours.

CHINESE BEEF AND PEPPERS

Combine and brown in Tab. oil:

1 large round steak (2 pounds), cut in strips
3 green peppers sliced
1 onion cliced
2 stalks celery

Add:
4 Tab. soy sauce
2 tea. sugar
2 tea. salt
clove garlic
2 cans mushrooms undrained
28 oz. can tomatoes
8 oz. tom sauce
1 bouillon cube

Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Combine 2 Tab. corn starch in 2 Tab. water. Stir into pot. Stir until thickened and clear. Serve over noodles or rice.

fatnhappy
05-19-2006, 11:12 PM
If you don't try that idiot proof recipe it's your loss. I dice up neck roasts and give it more time.