PDA

View Full Version : Universal Clays = Clean?

2ndAmendmentNut
12-03-2009, 06:16 PM
I recently tried Universal with some 200gr and 230gr 45auto loads, in some 125gr 9mm loads, and 148gr 38s. Performance was fine, but I would not have called it clean. Am I am doing something wrong?

35remington
12-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Light loads of nearly any powder burn less cleanly, even with supposedly cleaner burning powders.

Really, who cares about clean? How did it shoot? How was the ballistic consistency?

Unless it's so filthy it's jamming the gun after a few shots (and it's likely nowhere near that dirty....despite your complaints, the guns run just fine for quite awhile, I'd guess) it's probably acceptable. If you clean the guns after every long practice session it matters even less.

If you're going to load light most of the time, you'd be advised to switch to something like Clays over Universal Clays. It develops higher pressures at lower velocities and may be the way to go for you. Even that powder can be loaded so light it's dirtier, but you'll have to work at it.

sniper
12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Not hardly.

Dframe
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
I use clays extensively. Great powder.

Russ in WY
12-30-2009, 09:59 PM
However ,remember there are [ 3 ] types of Clays powder. I have used the Plain "CLAYS" in 45ACP for target shooting with very good results & clean burn I would say. The "Universal & International" are two separate powders with different burn rates, IIRC they are both slower. Russ.

Jack Stanley
12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
In my thirty-eight special loads with a heavy bullet and aught-six loads with anything over a hundred fifty-five grains , I don't notice any difference of clean . It does group as well as Unique though , in a pistol I think it tends to like heavier loads , a light charge of it does smoke the case a bit .

Jack

StarMetal
12-30-2009, 10:11 PM
I too use Universal but honestly it's not as unique as Unique, only burns cleaner.

Joe

yondering
12-31-2009, 12:16 AM
I recently tried Universal with some 200gr and 230gr 45auto loads, in some 125gr 9mm loads, and 148gr 38s. Performance was fine, but I would not have called it clean. Am I am doing something wrong?

6gr Universal with a 230gr RN cast is a very accurate full power 45 ACP load in my guns. It burns as clean as can be expected.

That'll Do
12-31-2009, 01:30 AM
In my experience, Universal is "clean" when loaded towards the upper end of its load range. But in all honesty, powder cleanliness isn't my number one priority. As long as it doesn't jam the gun, I don't care how clean/dirty it is–it's only an added bonus if it burns clean.

KYCaster
12-31-2009, 01:44 AM

Lets start by defining "clean".

Do you mean it left unburned flakes of powder?

...or did it burn completely but leave a dirty residue on gun parts and hands?

...or was the brass covered with soot?

Three different conditions with different causes and different cures.

Which is it?

Jerry

StarMetal
12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Lets start by defining "clean".

Do you mean it left unburned flakes of powder?

...or did it burn completely but leave a dirty residue on gun parts and hands?

...or was the brass covered with soot?

Three different conditions with different causes and different cures.

Which is it?

Jerry

Jerry,

To me it's when your brass and gun come out looking a Kentucky coal miner at the end of his day. :kidding:

Joe

Potsy
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM
I've used Universal Clays & Clays in my Kimber. I've used them both with 200 grain Lee TC's and 230 grain Lee TC's with Universal only.
As far as accuracy and cleanliness, I couln't tell a difference (though someone with more patience may have).
None of my loads have been light, 4.3 grn. Clays under 200 grainers, 6.5 grn. Universal under 200 grainers, 6.0 grn. Universeral under 230 grainers.

Rocky Raab
12-31-2009, 12:06 PM
As mentioned, low-pressure loads will burn "dirty" with almost any powder. Sooty cases are due to the case not expanding fast enough or far enough to seal against the chamber walls, and the soot is powder gas that condenses against the comparatively cold metal.

Up the load (and hence the pressure) until you get into the powder's designed performance range, and everything quickly becomes cleaner; no unburnt particles, no sooty covering, no ash on the gun.

Every powder has a performance range, sometimes a very narrow one (like 296/110) and sometimes a very broad one (like Unique or Universal). But even very broad ones have limits, and loading below those limits will result in inefficient burning.

KYCaster
12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Jerry,

To me it's when your brass and gun come out looking a Kentucky coal miner at the end of his day. :kidding:

Joe

Joe, you must be using W231.

Jerry

StarMetal
12-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Joe, you must be using W231.

Jerry

Jerry,

Actually I use a lot of Unique. Use Universal, Bullseye, and 231. I don't find the 231 dirty.

Joe

derek45
11-14-2010, 10:50 PM
I like CLAYS....it's clean burning and consistant in 45ACP.

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/911208.jpg

not to be confused with UNIVERSAL CLAYS which I tried but did not like.

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/956127.jpg