PDA

View Full Version : Teflon pipe thread tape

45-70 Chevroner
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I bought a sharps 45-70 carbine about 15 years ago the bore diameter was .460 could not hit a 5 gallon bucket at 50yrds. I wasn't sure what to do. While helping my son do some sprinkler work I came on the idea to wrap teflon tape on the bullet. It worked quite well I could hit that bucket out to 100yrds. every time. Didn't do much more with that project as I had a new barrel put on it. I still have that rifle and love to shoot it. It was a converted black powder action. I'm not sure how much pressure it will take but I have shot 350 gr. bullets at 1800fps. I'm not sure what the pressure would be with that load (it kicked like hellp) but it showed no signs of a problem. The teflon tape idea is just for any one wanting to try it. The teflon is a lot easier to put on than paper patching. Usually double wapping is plenty. You would need to use an under size bullet. A .454 300 grain bullet would probably work in the 45-70. no leading either and you don't need to lube.

missionary5155
12-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Greetings
Teflon Tape has been used in all sorts of applications. You did not mention what diameter or what material your projectile was made of.
But .460 is almost a given with Marlins and old rifles. My Trapdoor is .462+. My 1881 Marlin is .461+ and the other .461. My two new made Winchesters (Jap) are an honest .4575. My old Peabody is .460+.
What is far easier on the wallet than a new barrel is to get a larger mold if you are using cast. I do not remember all the diameter molds I have but the largest seems to be a NEI that drops a pure lead 400g Round nose at .463.
Then there is always valve lapping compound and the "Beagle" process (aluminun duct tape" to open up common diameter molds. I have done numerous molds. It would be fine with me if all molds were a few thousanths OVERSIZE as it is far easier to size down than to make it fatter.
But the BIGGER Bores are a hoot to shoot and sure will ruin a bucket in no time.

45-70 Chevroner
12-06-2009, 03:01 AM
I did mention that it was a carbine. It had a 20" barrel and kicked like (hellp) even with somewhat light loads. I had a 30" round barrel put on it. This resulted in bringing the weight up to 8 pounds 10oz. The bullets were I think 405 Lee. Sized and lubed with a Lyman GHI .458 sizer. I don't think it sized the bullet much as the bullets micked at 457 458. The only 45-70 Lee mould I have now is thier 500 gr. cowboy. It has a very long nose slightly rounded, and has nice deep groves. I shoot this bullet in both of my 45-70's. I still have the sharps and recently bought a new Pedesorli Remington Rolling Block.

mooman76
12-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I tried it with a gun that wouldn't shoot and it didn't help me unfortunately. I have heard many say it works well. Someone on here stated he heated the tape after applying ti shrink it on to hold better.

Von Gruff
12-06-2009, 03:27 PM
I was re-reading an article in the Jan 1983 G&A by John Wooters where he did a test of various 7mm calibers with differing bullet types and he tried the teflon tape wrap for a 7mm Rem Mag but had trouble getting consistent wrap tension, and while he drove them to 3000fps, accuracy was not as good as he could get with conventional GC bullet at 2500fps. I would be interested in any more insight in using this method of PP.

Von Gruff.