PDA

View Full Version : Top Secret Marinated Chicken

brayhaven
05-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I wrote this for a Mule lovers cook book & had to have something about mules in it [smilie=1:

Top Secret Marinated Chicken

I came by this recipe when I lived in Atlanta. There was a restaurant I frequented that served it and after I had eaten it, I was determined to get the recipe. Finally I talked my roommate into dating a waitress who worked at the restaurant in a clandestine attempt to get it. After months of interrogation she admitted that the chef slept with the recipe and there was no way she could get it. The waitress finally watched him make up the concoction from behind the dishwasher and the secret was ours. I think she and my roommate eventually got married and moved to a chicken farm in Arkansas.

Dave Newell's Uncle Winton sure could have used this recipe the day after a coon got into his chicken house. Uncle Wint always slept in the raw, and one cold winter night he was awakened by a ruckus in the chicken house. Not stopping to dress, he headed out with his ole double barrel and his 2 cell Ray-O-Vac hand torch, to handle the situation. Well, as he bent over; cautiously peering into the hen house, his old hound came up and checked him out from the rear with his cold wet nose. Uncle Wint pulled both triggers on the shotgun and killed nine of his chickens. :o)

Dave also tells of when he was a kid driving a mule drawn wagon loaded with cane syrup. One day the mule broke wind so loud it scared him and he stampeded all the way to town leaving syrup cans for two miles. Boy, it sure is hard to get mules into a chicken recipe. Anyway here it is....

You'll need one or two boneless chicken breasts per person depending on the size of their appetites. I prefer leaving the skin on as it seems to keep 'em juicier, but they're great without it too.

Thoroughly mix 1 part Teriyaki sauce and 1 part honey with 2 parts pineapple juice in enough volume to cover the chicken. For 6-8 breasts you'll need about a pint of marinade.

Poke the chicken all over with a fork to allow the marinade to work its way down in the meat. Place in a bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Grill the chicken on your outdoor grill until done. (about 15-20 minutes depending on your grill and the thickness of the breasts) Don't overcook. Finger lickin' good!

Serve with rice pilaf and a lightly flavored vegetable.

Greg

redneckdan
05-25-2006, 07:14 PM
I think the secret is forkin the chicken. I do that when I use italian dressing as a marinade and it is melt in your mouth tender.