PDA

View Full Version : 1" or 30mm Red Dot

ghh3rd
12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I am going to purchase an Ultradot Red Dot sometime soon for my Ruger SBH Hunter, and am trying to decide between 1" and 30mm.

I suppose that the 30mm would offer a wider field of view and quicker aiming, but am concerned that it would seem much bulkier than the 1" (25mm).

If I choose the 30mm, I wonder if Ruger would allow me to trade the 1" rings they provided with the gun for 30mm.

Any opinions on making this choice are welcome...

Thanks,

Randy

stubert
12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I have a 1" ultra dot on a 1984 SBH in one peice Leupold rings. There is no problem at all seeing thru them. I have hundreds of 44 mag. thru it and it is holding up great. One of the guys in my gun club is a gunsmith, He says the ultra dot is one of the best kept secrets in optics.

ghh3rd
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I was just on their site and noticed they also have one called the Matchdot 30mm which adjusts down to a 2 MOA dot. That would be handy in lieu of a scope for grouping, but it's about $50 more.

Decisions, decisions...

Randy

HollandNut
12-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm fixing to get a 1" from UltraDotWest myself for my 480 SRH , only because I have the 1" rings from Ruger ..

And Ruger wants about $80 for the 30mm rings IIRC ..

My friend Marko ( Whitworth on the forums here ) has them and dearly loves them , he has the 30's ..

44man
12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I love the 30's too because it is easier when hunting. They are only 5mm larger in diameter.
But I would not kick the 1" either, still great.

Whitworth
12-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I prefer the 30mm to the 1-inch Ultradot. Doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is noticeable. I know the 30mm rings from Ruger are pricey, but they are tough and I haven't had to tighten mine in two years of solid abuse on my .475 Linebaugh.

arcticbreeze
12-02-2009, 10:56 PM
If I choose the 30mm, I wonder if Ruger would allow me to trade the 1" rings they provided with the gun for 30mm.

Any opinions on making this choice are welcome...

Thanks,

Randy

Hey Randy,

I called Ruger Cust Svc about ordering a pair of 30mm rings and she told me they would trade them out. I think your choice of the 30mm Ultradot would be a good one. I borrowed one from a guy at WAC to try and it is nice. I also tried a 4x scope but I did not like it, no field of view.

Marc

ChuckS1
12-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I have an UltraDot matchdot on my .45, slide mounted. It comes with the rings. 4 different dot sizes. Highly recommended. That being said, if your vision isn't 20/20, don't be surprised if you don't see a little red dot. I saw a comet shape until i realized that either I needed glasses or put my merit optical device on my shooting glasses.

mike in co
12-02-2009, 11:06 PM
i reccommend the largest dia tube you can put up with. the bigger tube will let you pick up the dot quicker.

short small tubes will have you wiggling the gun all over the place trying to find the dot.

practice practice practice

mike in co

HollandNut
12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey if they'll trade , then I'll get the 30 myself

crabo
12-03-2009, 12:52 AM
I Like the Ultradot 4. You have 4 different sizes of dots. I have used a larger dot and sat it on top of a 12" plate at 150 meters, in a figure 8, and used it to drop the boolit into the target.

You can use a bigger dot for quick close shooting or the smaller dot for more precise situations. I also like the 30mm. I wish Ultradot made a 50mm.

BCall
12-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Ruger's website says they will trade if your rings are new and unmounted. Billy

KYCaster
12-03-2009, 02:59 AM
i reccommend the largest dia tube you can put up with. the bigger tube will let you pick up the dot quicker.

short small tubes will have you wiggling the gun all over the place trying to find the dot.

practice practice practice

mike in co

If you can't find the dot in a one inch tube you won't find the dot in a 40mm tube. Like Mike said.......Practice, Practice, Practice.

Jerry

armyrat1970
12-03-2009, 07:47 AM
We seem to be getting a little off base here. I thought this was supposed to be about cast boolits?

After reading other post I will retract my statement here also.

mike in co
12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
yep it would be better placed in factory guns...but such is life.

Whitworth
12-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey if they'll trade , then I'll get the 30 myself

Jack, you won't be disappointed!

ghh3rd
12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I called Ruger today, and they said they will trade my unused 1" rings for 30mm rings. Ruger has always been good to me. All I have to do is send them to their Newport, NH location. They are going out in tomorrows mail.

I have decided to order either the Ultradot 30 or the Matchdot. When I spoke to the person at Ultradot, I politely asked why the $50 difference between the 30 and Match. He didn't seem to really have a good answer, but did say that the switch had been reworked to make it even stronger than the other models, although he pointed out that they are all very sturdy.

I was thinking that the 2 MOA dot on the Matchdot could be handy at the range, but oh those extra $!

Randy

thebigmac
12-03-2009, 11:55 PM
HEY RANDY--- GET THE SMALLER SCOPE.. WHEN YOU PUT YOUR CHEEK ON THE STOCK YOU WILL BE MORE COMFORTABLE WITH IT. THE 30mm IS OK FOR A HANDGUN. I HAVE A 30mm ON MY RUGER .44 MAG SUPER BLACKHAWK. ALL MY LONG . I HAD TO RAISE MY CHEEK OFF OF THE STOCK TO USE THE SCOPE.. BUMMER !!!

crabo
12-04-2009, 01:55 AM
You can always use a laceon cheek piece for a good cheek weld. I had to have the cheekpiece for iron sights for me.

ghh3rd
12-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Hey guys, this is for
my Ruger SBH Hunter ...revolver :eek:

MK111
12-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Hey Randy,

I called Ruger Cust Svc about ordering a pair of 30mm rings and she told me they would trade them out. I think your choice of the 30mm Ultradot would be a good one. I borrowed one from a guy at WAC to try and it is nice. I also tried a 4x scope but I did not like it, no field of view.

Marc

I am glad Ruger will trade the 1 inch rings out for 30MM rings. I am deer hunting this week with a new Ruger Bisley in 44 mag this week. I am using the Ultra Dot 30MM with I believe Burris rings and I don't like them because they tighten on the pistol from both sides. The Ruger are much better as these won't repeat if you take them off. Will call Ruger on Monday.
I have always used a 2 power Burris scope on a Ruger Redhawk. The field of veiw is much better. Took 18 deer with that setup. Took last two deer with red dots. Still can't make up my mind which is better but leaning towards the red dot.
Oh by the way I got # 20 handgun deer on Monday. A seven point buck with cast bullet 240 gr over a load of H110. Going after # 21 in the morning. Wish me luck.

ghh3rd
12-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Good luck with the hunt MK111.

Well, after much indecision, I had finally decided to purchase the UltraDot MatchDot because it has four dot sizes, inlcuding a 2 MOA dot, which I figured would be handy for grouping when working on loads. It's a little heavier, but not much. Now, I just discovered that it requires 2 1/4" space between the insides of the rings.

I just did a quick check with my unopened 1" rings, and assuming the 30mm rings will be the same width (.6") I calculated that the space between the rings on my Ruger Bisley 44 mag Hunter will be 1 7/8", exactly what the 30mm Ultradot requires.

If I really want to pursue the MatchDot, I'll have to spend an additional $50 for a Weigland or B-Square scope mount. That means $50 more for the MatchDot model, and $50 to get the scope mount. I've also heard that those mounts are aluminum, and some don't hold up too well on a .44 Mag.

I don't need the 2 MOA dot enough to spend $100 for it, and will order the 30MM tomorrow. Finally, the decision is made.

Randy

crabo
12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
The Weigand is a great mount and will hold up to tons of 44s. It is easy to take off and put back on for a S&W. I don't know about Rugers.

Whitworth
12-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I have found that a lot flks make an issue of the fact that the Ultradot 30 has a 4 moa dot and unless you are punching paper and trying to shoot tiny groups, it is a non-issue. I have hunted extensively with my Ultradot 30 and have never found that the 4 moa dot is an impediment in any way.

Mr. S
12-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I put an UltraDot 30mm on my S&W 657 Classic Hunter this year for deer season. I went with the 30mm because of the slightly greater field of view.

It is mounted to an EGW mount with Warne steel rings. The gun balances very well.

I did my initial sight-in, and testing, with Lyman 410459 220 grain boolits I cast from Lyman #2 alloy. They are sized .410 and lubed with BAC. Accuracy is very good. I didn't have the time to work up hunting loads though, so I am using Winchester 240 grain PHP factory loads.

The UltraDot hasn't been on that long, but I am very happy with it.

Thanks,

Rick

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp130/Rickkster707/Casting/UltraDot30.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp130/Rickkster707/Casting/UltraDot302.jpg

JesterGrin_1
12-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I did a complete write up of the Ultra Dot Match Dot awhile back. I will try and find it. :)

I found it lol. Go Here :) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48134&page=5&highlight=Match+Dot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0069.jpg

Char-Gar
12-06-2009, 06:43 PM
My experience with a red dot sight is limited to just one sight, I put on my custom Clark Ruger Mk II. I chose a 3 moa, 30mm sight. My reasoning is the larger the tube the more light that enters and the larger the field of view. I have been happy with my choice.

Dale53
12-07-2009, 01:21 AM
I have both 1" Red Dots and 30 mm Red Dots. I no longer buy the 1" RD's. The 30mm has a wider field of view and doesn't interfere with the balance of the revolver (it only weighs five ounces or so). The larger ones, on a revolver, didn't satisfy my handling requirements.

So, for me, 30 mm is it. Here is a picture of a 30mm Simmons with an extension tube (for bright sun control):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QDalesRevolversandPistols-1720.jpg

Dale53

MK111
12-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I seen this post last week. I call Ruger Customer Service today about exchanging one inch rings for 30MM rings. The nice lady said no problem as along as they are new and not mounted. She took my name and address and gun serial number and shipped 30MM rings out today. I have to send my rings back when I recieve the 30MM ones. What great service.

ghh3rd
12-07-2009, 11:25 PM
MK111 -- I sent my 1" rings to Ruger on Saturday, but didn't include the serial # from my gun. I don't remember them asking me to send it, but they may have. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow to be sure it doesn't cause a delay.

MK111
12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
UPS delivered my new 30MM rings today from Ruger. Now I have to ship my 1" rings back. What great service.

ghh3rd
12-11-2009, 12:32 AM
I was feeling sorry for myself tonight because I just received an Email saying the Ultradot West is out of 30mm SilverRed Dots indefinitely. They offered my money back, or an upgrade model (that won't fit without $50 mounting plate), or a 1" scope with a refund for the difference. Ugggh!

I Emailed back asking if they ever had good returns with minor repairs with full warranty that they could discount. I almost immediately received a reply that they have one with a very small mark on the tube, and offered it with a discount in merchandise. Ordering the electronic noise blocking headphones. I'm happy again :-)

What I have heard about Ultradot West is true, they are a good company to deal with.

Randy

Oldtimer
12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I have an ADCO red dot 1" tube on a slab side ruger .22. It has a 1.5 moa dot. Smallest I've seen. It is the best one I've ever shot. I think they also make one with a 30mm tube. As far as Ruger goes, I needed a set of high rings for a 77V. Called them, and they shipped them out the same day. What was great was they told me I could keep the other ones. That was several years ago though. Bob

Dale53
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Randy;
I am happy for you! You will really like the Ultra Dot.

I have several Bushnell 1" Red Dots and they have done well for me (I have them on light recoil pistols), several 30 mm Simmons Red Dots that have done excellently for me on .45 ACP's, and a couple of 1" Ultra Dots.

As I stated before, I have come to prefer the 30mm Dots for their greater field of view. They seem the best compromise out there.

For the money, you cannot beat the Simmons 30 mm Four Reticule Red Dots. They ARE limited to recoil (no greater than .44 Magnum) but they can be had for under $50.00 from Overstock.com.
With the Simmons, I use the "crosshairs" for off the bench group shooting and the small and larger dots for offhand use. It works extremely well for me.

If I were putting on a "heavy" I would definitely go with the 30 mm Ultra Dot four reticule (by all reports, they handle heavy recoil better than most).

FWIW
Dale53

Dale53

Dave C.
12-11-2009, 03:10 PM
You will be happy with the UD-4Dot. Ultradot is the most used scope on the line at NRA conventional pistol matches We mount them on the slides of our 45's.