PDA

View Full Version : crystal on bullet

canuck4570
05-15-2006, 09:44 PM
can any one tell what that means..... I cast my bullets and they fall from the mold in perfect condition bright and shiny.... but after a few minutes the crystalise....thank you Canuck....

David R
05-15-2006, 09:58 PM
That is normal. I can't tell you why, but it happens to me too. Probably a temp thing. I pour them so they come out of the mold looking galvanized. Not crystalized, but a dull grey finish. I think I pour mine a little hotter.

David

buck1
05-16-2006, 12:40 AM
can any one tell what that means..... I cast my bullets and they fall from the mold in perfect condition bright and shiny.... but after a few minutes the crystalise....thank you Canuck....

FROSTED?
Frosting is a way to tell you that your mold is HOT. The frosting is in fact micro cracks on the surface of the bullet. I MAKE MINE LIKE THAT FOR BETTER FILL OUT WITH SCRAP ALLOYS. FWIW...Buck

Leftoverdj
05-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Canuck, I'd say that you are dropping your bullets a few seconds early because they are continuing to crystalize outside the mould. In that state, they are very easy to damage because they are so soft. Think of them as soft boiled eggs with the center still gooey, if not liquid. Slightly slowing your casting rate or decreasing your temperature will allow them to harden a bit before you drop them.