PDA

View Full Version : Boolit storage, Am I the only guilty one?

Nora
12-01-2009, 04:39 AM
It occurred to me on my storage habits. I just came from the kitchen, trolling the cupboards for a container ready to be harvested. Was able to combine the last bit of peanuts from a 2# square plastic jar to a new one. Trolling completed, and today's castings now have a temporary home before loading.

How many others will buy, or have their wife buy a specific size of something from the grocery store just as much for the container, as what comes in it? I'm guilty with the 2 1/2# peanut butter and the 2# Anne's House peanuts. Hmm seams to be a theme here..... Am I nuts? Perhaps.......

Nora

UweJ
12-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Told my wife to get those Danish Butter Cookies in the metal can,they´d taste very good. They hold lot´s of boolits,lol.

rob45
12-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Coffee cans.

Jim
12-01-2009, 04:53 AM
coffee cans.

ditto

lead Foot
12-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Try some takle box's like this.:drinks:
Lead foot;

archmaker
12-01-2009, 06:56 AM
I like the tackle boxes!

I made myself some plywood trays, they will hold 200 45 boolits.

Just took and cut a 1/4" piece of plywood to size then some small 1X1/2" (for the sides) that were the right length and used gorilla glue to hold them onto the plywood.

I made 10 of them in no time, and they form a nice stack. Put a sticky on them to note what boolit is in the tray.

jhrosier
12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
The 50rd foam trays from 40S&W ammo boxes are just right for .44 boolits.

Jack

Gunslinger
12-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Ha ha I do the same. When lubed my boolits are stored in plastic squares from commercial ammo. Before they are lubed I use clear containers given to me by a friend who works in a factory that produces containers like these. I have 20 of them! They are about 7x7x4 and hold about 500 boolits.

I also buy some tea in tall clear plastic containers. The only cost $1.5 and the tea can be served hot as well as cold.... No sir, you're not the only one who's crazy!

Bret4207
12-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Zip lock bags, coffee cans, 5 gallon buckets, cardboard boxes, whatever.

JMtoolman
12-01-2009, 10:36 AM
My containers are cigar boxes that came from the empty discard pile. Happened to find them by accident when my son and I pulled up in front of the cigar store. Emptys were on the sidewalk out front. Inquired as to what they wanted for them, and they were free! He also had a large stack of fancy wooden ones in the store, wanted $2.00 each for them, your choice! Man my son and I loaded the trunk! I got some of them that will hold almost a thousand .357 bullets! And the wooden ones are beautiful workmanship. First class all the way! Stop in at your local cigar store and inquire. Best regards, the toolman.

hoosierlogger
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I like half gallon milk jugs.

jgt
12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
I use the one gallon milk carton. Cut them so the handle stays with the part I keep. Easy to reach in and get bullets to feed the loader. Easy to replace should I need to and never have to wait long when in need of one. I also use the square peanut jars when available but not so prevalent as the milk jugs. I have used one gallon ice cream buckets and detergent buckets when we had a neighbor that used the contents.

mpmarty
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I've got about twenty large peanut butter plastic jars with the lids screwed to the underside of a shelf that is about eye level over my bench. I can see what's in them and they come down and go back up in a hurry. The bench and shelf are twenty feet long and the top of the shelf holds die boxes, primers and various other necessary stuff.

The shelf is 1" thick pine and the lids are attached with four 3/4" screws evenly spaced just inside of where the jar rim hits the lid.

Bullshop Junior
12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I throw my boolits in what ever is handy, old GC boxes, ob brass boxed (I like the big Hornady ones) old bullet boxes, what ever.

Shiloh
12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Whaterver is handy. I have several different containers. Old metal 3# Coffee cans work great.

Shiloh

Echo
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
+1 for whatever. Also like Costco Fancy Mixed Nuts, so have several of those containers for brass. Plus Pringle's cans. Plus neat old clock movement cardboard boxes. &cetera...

Down South
12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Me too. I also stop by the dollar store time to time and buy the cheap plastic containers with snap on lids.

EMC45
12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Ice cream tubs, sour cream tubs, cream cheese tubs etc.

azrednek
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I use the free boxes from the Post Office.

OutHuntn84
12-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Those new mercury light bulbs that are so popular now days the little boxes inside the box they are sold in are great for boolits. I make my wife and office buy the cheap coffee that still comes in metal containers. Also I never throw away an empty bullet box, ammo box, primer box ( one day I will figure out a use for the primer boxes. LOL)

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I have four people (Folgers coffee drinkers all) who save the empty 2lb containers for me. I cast and set them in bullet blocks I made out of some oak 1x6's. Twenty rows of five, then flux and add metal. When they cool, I inspect and gently place them in the plastic Folgers cans.

Sized and lubed, into 50 or 100 round plastic ammo boxes.

Rich

lwknight
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I use ammo cans. When I get it full , its time to move on to another mold.

XWrench3
12-01-2009, 09:14 PM
i use the large GATOR-AIDE concentrate powder cans to store my cast boolis in. they hold just about as much lead as my nasty old abused back wants to handle, maybe just a bit more.

Paladin 56
12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I mostly use bread pans from the dollar store when I can find them, or yard sale goods.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/TDBall56/PanBreadBulletStorage.jpg

But sometimes use whatever is handy, including paint cans, coffee cans of all sizes, boxes of all sorts, and I've even made special mini wooden ammo boxes so I could still pick them up when full since an ammo crate is too much to lift when full.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/TDBall56/FirstCastGB.jpg

Blammer
12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
USPS prority boxes. They work well, and are free! They'll even deliver them to you!

Well probably not the best idea as it's cardboard. :)

JIMinPHX
12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Potato salad tubs, peanut butter jars, mayonnaise jars...
I like clear containers so that I can see what's inside them.

12-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I pick up metal cake containers at yard sales/flea markets and store not only lead but prep items. Vermin proof, easily stacked, and stable.

Capt. Senile
12-02-2009, 12:14 AM
When I go to the Doctor's office, if they have an in house Lab, I ask the nurses for the empty blood vial trays. They're made of styrofoam, hold 100 bullets, and are stackable. They work great for protecting the bases of my .45-70 match bullets.

bruce381
12-02-2009, 12:56 AM
""I use the free boxes from the Post Office"'

thats what I put brass in

mooman76
12-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I have switched abit but use an assortment according to the bullets. 1# coffee cans, most recently I like the new 3# plastic coffee cans. The little plastic gator aid jars that screw on. Old powder containers and those disposable plastic containers that are for food and microwaveable. Allot of food come in those containers now like deli meat.

Southern Son
12-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Plastic trays out of Winchester Ranger 40S&W boxes for anything I cast for my BP 45/70 loads. Icecream containers for the rest (I eat a heap of icecream).

Bad Water Bill
12-02-2009, 07:35 AM
I use cardboard boxes with the bottom reinforced with 100 MPH tape. Stack the boolits neatly add a layer of cardboard marked with the below count and level # so you will know total count in box then keep building. They stack side by side with no lost space. I have had many plastic containers break and then you get to play 52 pickup of contaminated lubed boolits. A 6X6X6 box will hold over 1K of 45 cal projectiles and stack up easily. Mark the side of the box with the mould # and keep on going.:castmine:

armyrat1970
12-02-2009, 07:56 AM

Ditto.

Trader Vic
12-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I use miracle whip, 32 oz plastic mayo jars, they are clear & have a wide mouth lid. I put a note inside with all the info about the contents, wgt, cal, date when cast & WW or pure PB. They look good on the bench, are easy to ID & they hold a lot of boolits. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

chris in va
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I put them in anything available, even those 'disposable' plastic Glad containers. Coffee cans seem to work very well though.

canebreaker
12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
3 lb. coffee cans for large storage. 18 oz. peanut butter jars for small storage.
7 oz. marshmellow cream jars, but they are glass.

Recluse
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Me too. I also stop by the dollar store time to time and buy the cheap plastic containers with snap on lids.

+1

Easy, cheap and they stack perfect.

:coffee:

Pitmaster
12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Plastic coffee containers here. The larger ones. My wife goes through them pretty fast. They stack well and hold a lot.

Nora
12-06-2009, 11:57 PM
reinforced with 100 MPH tape

Do I detect someone being prior service?? :cool:

Nora

Frank46
12-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Funny thing, no one mentioned using their wife's tupper ware containers. Wonder why?. I save the plastic containers that potatoe salad, macaroni salad and stuff like that. got a deal on some used 44mag 100 round boxes made by J&J and just about anything else that will hold them and keep them clean. Frank

Dale53
12-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Many years ago, I had access to an almost unlimited supply of cigar boxes. Like all good things, that came to an end.

The last couple of years I replaced most of my cigar boxes with plastic boxes from the Dollar stores and lately my wife found some VERY nice plastic boxes with gasketed lids and lid latches for little money. I stocked up.

I use any handy container to move my "just cast bullets" from my utility barn to my basement shop. I almost immediately size, lube, and carefully stack them in my plastic boxes. I use a label maker and carefully mark them properly.

Dale53

heebs
12-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I use the narrow(4") ammo cans. Holds more than I care to lift. After those are full, a friend of ours is a mortician and brings us all the heavy plastic containers holding people until they get in the fancy urn. They have a nice snap top to them. Once used, can't use again. Hate to think how many we have.

mpmarty
12-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Coming out of the mold the boolets land on a blue shop rag that lies on top of some folded turkish towels. When I've got enough cast I lift all four corners of the shop rag and carry them up to my shop at the house where they get inspected and some miscreants wind up in a metal coffee can to be remelted. Then the ones that passed inspection get tumbled in LLA and dumped out on some waxed paper where they dry for a day or so. Then they get pushed through a LEE sizer and tumbled in LLA again and dumped on waxed paper. After they dry for the second time they get dusted with a bit of motor mica and then they go into plastic peanut butter jars and labeled with date cast, sized diameter etc. where they stay until loaded into cartridges. Once loaded they will move to ammo can storage until shot when they are stored in a clay bank at the back of my shooting range. It seems fitting and proper to replace the lead in the ground where it came from originally.:bigsmyl2:

wallenba
12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I like the Zip-lock tubs with the screw on lids, and Harbor Freight, when I can get there, has some real cheap plastic locking boxes.

David2011
12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Am I the only one who uses old 4x4x4 boxes that boolits came in when I didn't have time to cast? OTOH, they are getting kind of worn out. . .

David