PDA

View Full Version : Lube/sizer ?'s

klausg
05-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey Gang-

It's rookie time again; although these are at least more informed questions. Here goes:

1) What is the difference between Lyman 45, 450, and 4500 other than relative ages?

2) Do they all use the same dies/top punches? I know the 450, 4500 & RCBS are interchangeable, what about the 45?

I guess that's all, if you caught my thread on my first casting session, you know that I think that pan lubing is okay, but I'm gonna need one of these.

-SSG Klaus

mooman76
05-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes I believe they are all the same where dies and top punches are concered. I think they are just updated models. I got a 450 and it doesn't come with a heater and the 4500 heater doesn't fit it. But there is a heater that sits under the 450 or the RCBS to warm it up! You can heat it up with a blow drier and there are other home remedies. I think up in the AK you are going to need a heater!

Read" interchangability of 45 450 sizer dies"!

klausg
05-15-2006, 07:16 PM
mooman76-

Thanks for the quick reply; the answer was pretty much what I expected, but it never hurts to check. I just bid on a Lyman 45, immediately after reading your response. Midway sells a heater for the 450; I'm sure that I can jury-rig some method of making it work on the 45. The problem with buying used is that you never get a user's guide; I'm pretty sure that these things are fairly idiot-proof, but I may have some trouble getting it up & running. If so, I'll be sure to post another thread here. Thanks again, take care.

-SSG Klaus

mooman76
05-15-2006, 08:10 PM
I just got my 450 on ebay for $100. It came with 5 sizing dies and top punches which is the main reason I got it. Those add up more than the sizer itself if you need a few. The sizer I got is great. It still had the load manuals and looked like it was only used a few times but the manual was copr writed in 1986. The heater in midway that you can get is a flat plate that sits under it when tou bolt the Luber down with the same bolt pattern as the Lyman or RCBS. I'm sure it should bolt in perfect and if not it should be easy to modify a fit!

If you don't get a user guide I think you can print one at the Lyman web site and if not let me know and I will copy mine. There really isn't much to it and their manual has much to be desired! I was at Fairbanks for 4 years about 10 years ago so I've been through Eagle River a few times. Good luck on your bid!

Mark

SharpsShooter
05-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Klaus,

You may not need the heater. It all depends on the type of lube that you are using. Hope you get the lyman 45. I bought one from a member last year after spending a geat deal of time pan lubing. The one I bought came in the original box and had the instruction sheet too. I know what a mess it is to pan lube and since I bought the #45, I've not looked back. If you need a special size of die, be sure to give Buckshot a holler. Several members make fine lubes. Bullshop and Lar45 come right to mind and if you like to make your own, Felix has a recipe that gets raves.

SS

floodgate
05-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Klausg:

PM me your s-mail addy and I'll send you a xerox of the "cheat sheet" for the #45. I have 3 of them at present, with different lubes in each, and like them so well I sold off my second-hand 450 after I rebuilt it with new parts. About the only advice I can give is: (a) don't tighten the set-screw that holds the die too tightly; it will mar the groove in the older, soft steel dies and push them off-center; (b) it is recommended by others here that instead of clamping the top punch with its set-screw, you hold it in place with a dab of heavy grease on the shank - that lets it center itself better; and (c) hold firm downward pressure on the handle until the grooves fill, than raise it up "smartly"; that keeps the ejector pin in firm contact with the bullet base and prevents lube "creep-under". OH, and remember to crank the ratchet back a half-dozen clicks when you're done lubing, to take pressure off the reservoir.

floodgate

bruce drake
05-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Floodgate

Could you send me you address in a PM so I could mail you a stamped envelope for those Lyman 45 instructions. I just got one yesterday and the Lyman webpage just listed the 450/4500 series for instructions.

Bruce

StarMetal
05-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Doug,

On my Lyman luber/sizer I put a glob of bullet lube on the nose punch and don't use the set screw at all. This way the punch floats. I also made some sleeve bushing to fit where the handle attaches to the body to keep them from bowing inward, it made the linkage a whole lot more solid. All my bullet punches inside the sizer dies are drilled and the top that contacts the bullet base is counterbored, all this to relieve lube pressure that may escape around the base of the bullet. I've been fortunate to get a Lyman that sizes the bullets straight and apparently I've gotten a strong one because I've never broke or bent anything on it and I've even sized jacketed bullets down, which I don't recommend really. All in all I'm very happy with my Lyman and have been using it for nearly a quarter of a century.

Of course this is on the next model the 450 and then the 4500. I have a 45 that I updated with the newer piston with O rings. I'm currenty thinking about updating it further so the dies take the screw in type holding nut. Will let all know how that comes out.

Joe

6pt-sika
05-16-2006, 05:16 AM
I use a 4500 with the elctrode heater , it works very well . But I started with a Lyman 45 . The 45 was bought at an auction in a box of junk for the ungodly sum of $5. Had it about three or four years before I started casting . In it I mostly used soft SPG lube . But a few times I used hard lube , the blow dryer trick was all that was needed.
But that 4500 for me is a lot more "fun" to use .
My 45 came in the original box and I think the instructions were in the box as well. Now let me see if I can find them [smilie=1:

mroliver77
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
I never got instructions with my 450 but learned to use it easy enough. They are very simple in design. Mine had a problem with leaking on the bottom where the cap the the pressure screw seats into. The body was machines out of square of the lube cylinder.Either the screw leaked or it turned the cap and blew the o ring. I finally sat daown an studied it closely and discoverd the problem. I ended up epoxying cap in place then lapping the lube screw into the screw seat. It will hold pressure for quite a while now. I still prefer my star but both serve a purpose on my bench. J

klausg
05-16-2006, 06:03 PM
All- thanks very much for all of the offers for the instructions; however, someone decided that they wanted it more than I did while I was at lunch. I'm now trying for a 450, we'll see. Thanks again & take care.

-SSG Klaus

bruce drake
05-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Floodgate,

Thanks for the 45 Instructions. It certainly answered the questions I still had outstanding. I think I am going to enjoy having this new tool.

Bruce

floodgate
05-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Floodgate,

Thanks for the 45 Instructions. It certainly answered the questions I still had outstanding. I think I am going to enjoy having this new tool.

Bruce

Bruce:

Yer welcome!

Glad some o' that "paper" and "hardware" I've been accumulating for the past 50+ years is of some use here.

Doug