PDA

View Full Version : Fleabay mold prices...DANG HIGH

DanM
11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I was following a fleabay auction for a lyman/ideal 311365 double cavity mold. This is the pointy 30cal. HBC boolit. Discontinued mold that is getting hard to find.
I was going to bid if it looked like $75-80 would take it. I must have been dreaming. Durn thing has over $200 on it now! :groner:

Bert2368
11-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Buy anything on eBay and you can be certain you were willing to spend more on it than anyone else in the world!

DanM
11-30-2009, 04:20 PM
OUCH....the mold sold for $255.

wistlepig1
11-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I have seen this many times were things sale used for more that new costs, It costs to be first all the time ! Holo 6.5, pacman, ect. ect.

Rocky Raab
11-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Figures. I sold a 45-255 swc Hollowpoint mould there, hoping to find village idiots as described. All my bidders were edumocated, I guess, LOL!

EDK
11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
If you think FleaBay is high, you don't want to look at moulds on gunbroker. While there are some high prices on eBay, gun broker is consistently high on starting prices. I watch for moulds on the sites I frequent....the best buys are usually here from an individual or the group buys.

Gunbroker has been my best source for once fired brass.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

lathesmith
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Holy smokes! I'll bet a couple of our vendor mold makers here could duplicate that mold for a lot less, in multi-cavity format to boot! Even starting a GB from scratch, and you would be way ahead. Like I said, we sure do have it good here, what with all these reasonably priced custom mold makers.

Ohhh, but I forgot....maybe the guys who buy these on fleabay are collectors of "vintage" items and don't actually use them?

lathesmith

11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Yesterday, I watched as two, used Lyman moulds -- both currently catalogued, by the way -- sold for much more than new.

LIMPINGJ
11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
I have been looking for either a Lyman 350457 or350482 but can never bring myself to outbid the collectors. I am with lathesmith in the hopes that one of the mold makers here will offer some of these older designs.

HeavyMetal
11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Keep in mind some of these "buyers" are overseas and might not have the source of molds we are used to.

Yes these guys can really drive a price up, BUT, if you can never buy one at the local store whats it really worth to you when you see one on Flea Bay??

Technology changes the world and not always for the better.

mooman76
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
There are other sites you can try that aren't usually as bad. Believe it ornot there are some honest vendors out there that just want to sell a product for a reasonable profit. I found myself when brouseing eb to stick mor to the buy now stuff. If you watch and be patient you can find occational deals there. Might try actionarms. They don't have as much though.

R.C. Hatter
12-01-2009, 12:22 AM
:violin: I can only echo LimpingJ above ! It looks like some of the custom mould makers would offer the out-of-production numbers i.e., Lyman #321297, #350447 and
#350482, just to name a few.

HollandNut
12-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I stole a discontinued Lyman 462560 4 banger ( very rare ina four ) off fleabay for $150 ...

Try GunsAmerica as well , the prices are fixed .. I stole my 480 there ..

Bret4207
12-01-2009, 08:05 AM
OTH, you can still get books, clothing and tools for less than you would elsewhere even with the shipping. I can find older wool jackets and trousers for instance at far, far less than I'd pay for new.

Moulds? The prices are crazy.

Tazman1602
12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I was following a fleabay auction for a lyman/ideal 311365 double cavity mold. This is the pointy 30cal. HBC boolit. Discontinued mold that is getting hard to find.
I was going to bid if it looked like $75-80 would take it. I must have been dreaming. Durn thing has over $200 on it now! :groner:

I have watched ebay auctions on molds for several years now. Every Lee mold there is --- even if it is from a store and is NEW goes for several dollars more than Midway will sell it for. I don't understand why people are so dumb???????

Josey Wales: "You a Bounty Hunter"
Bounty Hunter: "Man's got to do somethin for a living"
Josey Wales: "Dying ain't much of a livin boy"

Pitmaster
12-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks, now I know where to sell a couple of no longer needed molds.:-)

cajun shooter
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
The problem with flea-bay is that even though it is not legal to do many sellers use a second to increase the prices. You will see bidders with no feed back and have just signed up out bid you. I had this happen on more than one occassion and decided to stop looking on flea-bay. On one mold that I felt was a set up I stopped bidding at the very end and let the fake bidder win. Well don't you know that I received a e-mail the very next day saying that they had a non-paying bidder and that the mold was mine for my last bid. I said no thanks.

Bad Water Bill
12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I was bidding Sunday and was the victim of the most accurate snipe ever seen. As the count hit 0 I was still the high bidder then the screen said SORRY YOU DID NOT WIN. Can the snipe programs really go to the last 1/10 second?:groner:

Rocky Raab
12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Probably. I lost a camera (at a decent price) at three seconds recently.

Next time I see something I truly want, I might look into one of those snipe programs - as much as I think they are vile. But you have to fight fire with fire, as they say.

Bad Water Bill
12-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Three seconds might give you a chance to raise your bid but what can you do when the other bidder can go to less than a second before their bid shows. This is not the first time this has happened to me. It seems like some people can set the clock back then enter their bid. Could this be possible? No not in FLEEBAY with all their security. HA HA HA

techlava
12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
One time I had a higher bid in the last 10 second. Someone did a denial of service attack that blocked all bids for that item I was bidding on, so I can't even bid at all.
The mold prices on GunBroker and AuctionArms are higher and doesn't always move.
I would not be surprised that the $255 winning bid for the 311365 is someone from this forum or CBA who is willing to pay for that 311365 mold. I certainly was looking to see I had a chance. I thinks probably 20 of us was ready to pay up to $100 for the 311365 mold and 10 of us were thinking of bidding. Let us just get together and buy a NOE group buy mold that would be a better product at less then 1/3 of that $255 price.

shdwlkr
12-01-2009, 09:49 PM
First when bidding on anything on ebay you need to know what new price is and bid less based on what you think it is worth compared to buying new.
Second there are times of the year when molds or anything on ebay goes cheap. Around hunting season is not one of them. Also you get people who are not going to let a buy get away from them and they will pay 3 times new price to win.
third realize that sometimes you just don't want the item that bad. I passed on a mold on ebay as I new I could get it new for $50 less and did.
fourth be careful on the items and how they are listed by the sellers. If the seller has a rating of lower then 98% go find out why sometimes it is nothing and sometimes there is a reason for the 70% or lower rating.
fifth ebay keeps changing the rules on what can and can't be listed on ebay and it is getting worst since they became part of paypal. Yes they are one and the same company.
good luck on ebay I usually look else where

Marlin Hunter
12-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Most of the auction sites are high. I thought about buying things online, then putting them for sale on fleabay. It's funny when a used item goes for more than a new one with shipping. I have seen a used Lee mold sell for $26 plus shipping. Most online sellers have them for under $20

evan price
12-02-2009, 04:18 AM
The Lee C430-265 Ranch Dog mold and the CTL-309-150 mold that are on the Lee Precision discount site for $20.50 each, were recently sold on eBay for much more than that. The C430 sold for $37, iirc.

Also there are a lot of folks selling 6-cav Lee molds new in box for about $20 over what Midway sells them for. Lee ingot molds and dippers for 2X Midway price. Seriously, are people that dumb?

Bad Water Bill
12-02-2009, 05:21 AM
All it takes is a few magic words.

THIS IS A VERY RARE 2 CAVITY 22 CAL MOLD. LEE DOES NOT MAKE 22 CAL MOLDS ANYMORE . THIS VERY RARE HIGHLY ACCURATE. I HAD THIS MOLD CUSTOM MADE.

All of these statements did raise the price of a bator mold into a $100.00 + prize :killingpc

HollandNut
12-02-2009, 10:47 AM
shdwlkr : all good points ..

I dont use the auction sites very much , but when I do , I try to figger what a reasonable price is on the item ( usually firearm related ) , or I already have an idea of it's value .. Add the sellers shipping into it ..

If I figger an item is worth $50 , then my highest bid plus the sellers shipping will not exceed $50 , dont care how bad I want it ..

It's too easy to get caught up in the moment , and pay way too much for something that really isnt worth it ..