PDA

View Full Version : Firelapping results

jonk
11-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I mentioned awhile back that I was thinking of firelapping a RIA 1911 barrel. Some folks suggested handlapping instead but I thought I'd try the firelapping first.

5 rounds cutting grit, cleaned.
5 rounds intermediate, cleaned.
5 rounds finishing, cleaned.

I used 2 gr of bullseye to do this. Enough to ensure the bullet would exit the gun but it didn't operate the slide. I wanted a nice mild load. I used a Lee 200 gr SWC which apparently worked, but a bullet with a larger bearing surface would have been nice.

When done, I fired 3 mags of commercial cast 230 gr RN bullets. I had gotten these from somewhere and they always leaded the snot out of the gun. My handloads with my own cast bullets leaded it too but not as badly. I figured, this is the acid test. If these dont' lead, then I'm good to go.

I'm quite pleased. Where previously I could scrape flakes of lead out of the barrel and see it plated on in places, now it comes clean with a quick bronze brushing and 3 patches. There is still some very minor leading but my philosophy has always been, if it wipes out with just a brush and patches, it isn't really a problem. Accuracy seemed to improve too but I want to re-test to determine that.

+1 for the Wheeler bore lapping kit. I used an infintesimal amount of the kit on this and easily have enough left to do every gun I own if I so choose. Might run some through a few ratty old milsurps next. It won't remove true pits but might clean thigns up a bit.

leadman
11-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for posting your results.
I have the same kit and want to do a Krag and a ratty 1903A3. I am hoping it helps. Probably will do it after the holidays.

rob45
11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
If you're firelapping a barrel, be sure to start with a clean barrel. Any type of fouling, whether powder, copper, or lead, will decrease the effectiveness of the procedure.

I use the NECO kit, and they mention that if fouling is present you are merely lapping fouling instead of the steel underneath. The end result of lapping a dirty bore is a bore with uneven smoothness.

jonk
11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
rob45,

Absolutely. I scrubbed it out with steel wool and ed's red followed by a soak with foaming bore cleaner and more ed's red before going to the firelapping.

It just makes sense.

OTOH, firelapping may help remove some stubborn deposits, but might also just polish the tops of them.

leftiye
11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Maybe a few more with J.B. bore compound? A very fine polishing abrasive.