PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Blue Angel lube... smokey??

MacGregor
05-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Anyone know if the thompson blue angel lube smokes or not?

using a lubri-sizer with a heater, i've used the red-angel in the past, but it gets a little brittle in cooler weather i think..

klausg
05-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Mac- I've been waiting most of the day for someone to answer your question. First, no I can't answer it yet. I just did my first casting session this weekend and haven't gotten a chance to even load the bullets. The good news is that I lubed w/Thompson's Blue, so if you can wait until this weekend, I'll gladly give you a report.

-SSG Klaus

klausg
05-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Mac- I've got bad news for you, good news for me. I just got an invite to do some amphibious bear hunting in Prince William Sound this weekend. So, since I don't think I'll be using my .357 for bear, it may take me a little longer to give you a range report.

-SSG Klaus

KYCaster
05-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Smokey?......I haven't used a lube yet that didn't smoke. Including some advertised as "smoke-free" "smoke-less" and "low-smoke". Some people claim that its very distracting but I very seldom notice any problems because of it.

I've been useing Thompson's Blue Angel for several years in everything from .38Spl. gallery loads to 2K fps rifle with excellent results. I haven't noticed anything unusual about the way it smokes. A couple of years ago Dave Thompson sent me a sample of his experimental "low-smoke" lube for evaluation....I coudn't tell any difference.

HTH..........Jerry

Cherokee
05-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I've been using Dave's Red Angel since the late 80's and have never found it to be a smoke problem. Every lube I've used has some smoke to it but never found it to be distracting.

LowPE
05-17-2006, 01:49 PM
I, too, would be interested in a low smoke lube.

I am currently experimenting with lubes and powders trying to find a low smoke pistol round that meets IDPA power factors.

The smoke can get really obnoxious on follow up precision shots to the head or on any lowlight & especially flashlight scenario.

I have purchased, but not yet tested, blue angel, orange magic, lyman moly, zambini red.

My testing is in the beginning process so I have one conclusion:

Lee alox & promo is very smokey.