PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6x handles for Lyman 4x moulds

BSkerj
11-30-2009, 01:04 AM
I ran across some Lyman molds without handles. Can I use a set of my 6x Lees on them. I hate to pay more for the handles than I did for the moulds...I have a xtra set of lees so if I need to I can improvise so they can work...thanks in advance.

lwknight
11-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Never tried it my self. I would think that if they fit and can be made to work, even with some engineering , it should be just A O K.
There's nothing special about handles except the fit. Sometimes the width of the opening will not allow the molds to close.

Never force anything. A lot of things can be finessd into submission.

RobS
11-30-2009, 03:01 AM
The Lee six cavity mold handles will need to be modified in order to work for a Lyman 4 cavity mold. The lee handles are too thick and will need to be filed or ground down. I modified a pair myself by grinding a little bit of metal at a time while checking to see if the mold would fit. I then finished the with a file to smoothen out the grinding marks. I had success just be patient if you are using a hand grinder so you don't take too much metal away.

jameslovesjammie
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Yup, they fit...you just need to take them down with a grinder. I did that with my set and leave them mounted, as I only have 1 Lyman 4 cavity.