PDA

View Full Version : How blunt is enough

wistlepig1
11-28-2009, 04:57 PM
For tube feed rifle I know No spire point type bullits but with Casts is a round point ok or more? Lead tip soft enough or blunt pointed lead soft points? If blunted, alittle or the size of the primers? thanks

JSnover
11-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Best advice for a tube feeder is to load one in the chamber and one in the magazine, any style. Flat noses are an even better choice, stack as many as you want in there.

anachronism
11-28-2009, 06:03 PM
The flat should ideally be larger than the primer pocket of the case, so that it's not possible for thebullet nose to touch a primer correctly seated below flush in the primer pocket.

stephen perry
11-28-2009, 06:41 PM
I load my M94 up with 311 291 loads wasn't expecting any problem didn't have any. I specifically bought 311 410 to shoot in my M94. Bullets are ready I'm not. Next month for sure I have 17 days off my wife wants me out the house for 16 of those days.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR:brokenima

Ricochet
11-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Round nosed .30-30 factory loads have been on the market since 1895. I think it's more of a worry with the heavy recoiling calibers. Lyman used to show heavy loads for the 1886 Winchester .45-70s using round nose boolits back in the '70s, but no longer do.

largom
11-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Best advice for a tube feeder is to load one in the chamber and one in the magazine, any style. Flat noses are an even better choice, stack as many as you want in there.

This is all I ever do, even with flat points. If I need more than 2 shots I better stay home. Can always carry extras in your pocket.

Larry

badgeredd
11-29-2009, 09:48 AM
The flat should ideally be larger than the primer pocket of the case, so that it's not possible for thebullet nose to touch a primer correctly seated below flush in the primer pocket.

Totally agreed! Since cast boolits are harder than pure lead used in j-words, I believe the only totally safe option is to have a flat point as big as or larger than the primer. When I was a boy, I hunted with a fellow that worked for my Granddad that ignored that guide and who had 3 fingers on his left hand after a magazine explosion in a 94. :sad: Pretty much a no brainer after that experience.

Edd