PDA

View Full Version : Staynless primers

acemedic13
11-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Not sure where to put this post so please feel free to move if it's in the wrong place...... I just got a very large quantity of older winchester primers. They say "western" on them right next to the winchester logo. They are sold as "staynless pistol primers" there is a number not sure if it is a lot number or what...It's KM403P. I am sure they are just fine , as the storage seemed perfect. The boxes look new and they look to be in good order.

My question is, has anybody loaded any of these? Are they hot,cold or somewhere in between?I am going to load them in my .41 mags with 7 gr. of red-dot...At least that was my intention. Any info on them would be great.......I hope to get good results, because brother I got a lot of them.......

longhorn47
11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEM you might ruin a good gun they are no good send them to me and I will get rid of them in a safe maner your welcome

Mavrick
11-28-2009, 04:36 PM
They are the standard primer by Winchester, basically the same as WLP. It's just the old packaging. They MAY not be as hot as WLPM, and with the load you are going to use, you'll have no problem. I've used it a bit in my M57. It's about the same as the CCI 300, and a little hotter than the RP 2 1/2.
I would not hesitate to use them for any fast-medium powder for light-midrange load. I've had good luck with WW296 and a hard- cast 210gr semi-wadcutter, eventho' the newer Magnum primer MAY be better. Enjoy them.
Have fun,
Gene

GP100man
11-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Do the boxes have upc code bars ??? You can judge age within a certian time frame.

acemedic13
11-28-2009, 10:54 PM
I really like w296 for a "full house" load. I use a sierra 210 gr. jacketed hollow point with that load. i just wanted to get a slightly milder target load for shooting cast. I loaded a bunch up today with 7 gr. of red-dot and these primers. we'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for help....Joel......and........If they dont work out, i'll send them all to you longhorn!!

Firebricker
11-30-2009, 12:34 AM
I ran across abought 800 of them in SP. I did'nt do any comparison's to newer primer's but they shot just fine. FB