PDA

View Full Version : Catfish kills a deer!!!

Lead melter
11-28-2009, 01:31 PM
I thought the title might get you.....:kidding:

My 12 year old bagged this one this morning at 8:20. 30 yard or so shot with the Marlin 30-30 his maternal grandfather left him. 36 grains 748 with Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt {it ain't cast, but it still eats good!].

BTW- Catfish is my nickname for him.

5 deer in the freezer so far, and we're feeding the neighborhood.

outdoorfan
11-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Congrats to him!! Did he spine it? If not, how far did it run?

EMC45
11-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi 5 Catfish for me!

rugerman1
11-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Awesome job,Catfish! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/41.gif

Cheshire Dave
11-28-2009, 10:19 PM
What's the limit on Deer in North Carolina. Here in Oregon we can only get one and if they don't let us start shooting Cougars we'll be lucky to see any. I envy you all your Whitetail..
Keep filling that freezer Catfish...

TCLouis
11-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Job well done!!

TCLouis
11-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Not sure about NC, but the limit on bucks in TN is 3.
That is three bucks total in Archery, Muzzleloading and Gun seasons.
That is only 3 bucks total.

In a good portion of the state, one can harvest 3 does per day, I would say a bit over 1/3 of the state has that limit. Only 4 per season in the other units.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/deerseasons.html

That, a Lifetime Sportsmans License, carry permits, and ownership of firearms are but a few of the great things we enjoy

Lead melter
11-29-2009, 01:20 AM
What's the limit on Deer in North Carolina. Here in Oregon we can only get one and if they don't let us start shooting Cougars we'll be lucky to see any. I envy you all your Whitetail..
Keep filling that freezer Catfish...

Some areas of the state have more restrictive limits, but my area has a limit of six per hunter, two per day, two of the total of six may be antlered, but not required to be so. We prefer the does for food and consider ANY animal taken [doe, buck, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, etc.] by fair chase means to be a trophy. Respect for the wildlife is of the utmost.

outdoorfan,

Looks like a spine shot, but is just below the spine. Rib fragments probably shut down the nervous system as it fell over, kicked a bit and expired. A clean kill or a clean miss are the best in my book.

wallenba
11-29-2009, 01:33 AM
It got my attention, but I was taking it a bit more seriously. This is no joke, about 15-16 years ago the Michigan DNR was examining the stomach contents of a dead doe found near Alpena
(near lake Huron) and found the remains of a masticated alewives. This deer had been eating fish washed ashore. It was determined that the fish was not the cause of death.

Boondocker
11-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Great going Catfish you the man. My grandson Jesse (MO) has a 336 30/30 his great popop my fatherinlaw gave him. As he is going on six I am working up light cast loads for him to get used to the rifle and it is a pleasure to shoot. :bigsmyl2:

helice
12-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Mark,

Great picture of the youngen and his trophy. Tell that boy that He did a great job and continue to pop buttons off your shirt when he does good. Great to see his success. Helice

357maximum
12-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I hope you slapped lil catfish on the back and said great job...if not do it for me will you?

classic gun, classic load, .........next year he needs a classic boolit in that thing.:kidding:

9.3X62AL
12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Buddy! Fine job, Catfish--and any hit where they keel right over is a good one. He and his should be proud of that fine, humane harvesting shot, too.