PDA

View Full Version : Pitted barrel question

autofix4u
11-27-2009, 11:56 PM
I have a Star modelo super I have shot exactly 25 rds for milsurp 9 largo through before I started to load for it. The barrel looked rough when I got it so I didn't think much of it to start with (being a 50+ year old milsurp). Well I went and cleaned to get ALL of the fouling out after I shot 50rds of cast through it today. Wasnt leaded to bad but had what looked like lots of jacket fouling in the bore. After scrubbing + moore scrubing with every thing I had, it still wasent as clean as I wanted. So a couple of hours in some Evapo rust it went. Well guess what its clean now, but pitted in all the grooves bad. Really the worst pitting I have ever seen. The rifling looks good, sharp lands but pitted grooves. Is there any hope for cast in this pistol, or am I going to have to buy (gasp.......) jacketed bullets? If I have to feed it machine built bullets then I may as well sell it, because that would cut into the shooting budget badly. Thank you, Josh

Cactus Farmer
12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
If the pitting isn't too bad, try fire lapping it. You don't have much to loose......try lapping with cast and J-words.Sometimes one works better than the other. Some plain j-words might smooth it out too. Depends on how pitted it is. I could pour a lap in it and do it by hand with lapping compound like I do some of the milsurp rifles to "slick" the bores up for cast. It sure helps they shoot lead better, since your not worried about the bore size,just size to matgh what it ends up to be after lapping it out.