PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube AND pan lube the same boolit.

Jeffery8mm
11-27-2009, 04:26 PM
I wonder about the possibility of tumble lubing my Lee 170fp GC boolit, letting it dry, then pan lubing as per my usual method of JUST melting the Lar2500 + with the boolits standing up in the lube pan. Will the LLA melt off?? Or should I try this sequence in reverse order?? Just something to ponder on.
Jeff

dromia
11-27-2009, 05:32 PM
What do you seek to achieve by double lubing?

geargnasher
11-27-2009, 05:34 PM
LLA will melt at the flow temp of 2500, if that answers your question. If you're using a quality lube like 2500, why mess with LLA? If you want lube on the nose, lube and load with 2500 in the grooves as normal and then just "dip lube" the exposed boolit after loading in a VERY diluted mix of LLA/JPW/paint thinner in a cup and let drip dry by suspending nose down with wooden clothspins on a wire. Make certain that there is no lube on the outside of the case neck as this could cause excessive pressure when firing.

Gear

[edit] ya beat me to it again, Dromia!

Ricochet
11-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I've tumble lubed and then dip lubed rifle boolits. I don't think well dried LLA will come off in pouring the pan lube.

Marlin Hunter
11-27-2009, 06:32 PM
You can use LLA for sizing the boolit and installing the gas check, than use the regular lube to fill the grooves.

Marlin Hunter
11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I've tumble lubed and then dip lubed rifle boolits. I don't think well dried LLA will come off in pouring the pan lube.

I think you are right. In the Lee reloading manual they show a propane torch melting a lead boolit with LLA, and the LLA is not coming off.

Down South
11-27-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't know your reasoning for double lube but if you pan lube that should be enough. But if you want to double lube it looks like to me that pan lubing first then tumble lubing next would be the way to go.

RU shooter
11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't know your reasoning for double lube but if you pan lube that should be enough. But if you want to double lube it looks like to me that pan lubing first then tumble lubing next would be the way to go. This what I do with my one boolit as it leads the barrel after a 50 +rd match if I dont. I pan lube with 2500+ first ,chex it then give it a light tumble in thinned LLA. But most boolits are fine with just 2500+ as it is a very good lube alone.

Tim

Jeffery8mm
11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Really this was just one of those "what if" things. I was thinking it would be the best of both worlds. Lube in the grooves and lube on the driving surfaces. Not necessary I know, but a brain fizzle all the same!!!!
The 2500+ is some good stuff fo sho!!!!
Jeff

Jeffery8mm
11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
What do you seek to achieve by double lubing?

My wife asks me.......................... oh nevermind:grin:

Jeff

Ricochet
11-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I do it when I want the LLA coat on a long bore rider, and the grooves filled with the waxy lube. As mentioned above, that could be done also by dipping the nose after loading, but I think it's easier tumbling them in bulk, letting them dry, and then lubing the grooves. (Which I do by holding the nose and dipping the body in molten lube.) I've done the nose dip thing in molten lube as well, but that can get messy in shooting.

Marlin Hunter
11-28-2009, 04:24 AM
... I pan lube with 2500+ first ,chex it then give it a light tumble in thinned LLA.

Tim

Doesn't the gas check form the bottom edge of the last lube groove? Shouldn't you check first, or at least at the same time as you lube/size in a lube press.

lwknight
11-28-2009, 05:29 AM
A lot of guys use a diluted LLA (with mineral spirits) to pre-lube before sizing and seating GCs
It takes a lot of muscle out of the sizing process.

Maineboy
11-28-2009, 06:52 AM
I tumble lube all my boolits before sizing and adding checks. Usually that's sufficient. When I'm reloading a batch for hunting and expect the velocity to be around 1900 fps or above, I also pan lube them with Felix lube. I cast my 45-70 boolits quite soft and "double lube" those if they're going to be driven above 1400 fps and it seems to cut down on the leading in my Marlin. However, I can't say that a heavier coating of LLA wouldn't be just as effective.

RU shooter
11-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Doesn't the gas check form the bottom edge of the last lube groove? Shouldn't you check first, or at least at the same time as you lube/size in a lube press. Maybe if you do it in a lubersizer ,But since I'm still poor/Frugal I still pan lube and use my homemade chex ,If I would chex first it would come off when I pull the boolit outa the lube I pan lube a little different than most.but it works well for me and its a little faster IMO

Tim