PDA

View Full Version : Getting Existing Lube out of Lyman 450

12glocks
11-27-2009, 01:34 PM
My father gave me all his casting equipment which included a Lyman 450. Needless to say, a lot of this casting equipment went many years unused.

I have tried sizing some 45-70 and 357 boolits with it. The 50-50 BW/Alox in it was hard to get flowing intially. The initial lube was very black and hard. I want to get it out of there and add some fresh stuff (from a forum vendor).

Is there a way to empty the lube reservoir easily? TIA, I am still getting up to speed on this stuff (I have read the instructions on the Lyman website as well).

calaloo
11-27-2009, 01:43 PM
12glocks, Thake the die out of the press and remove the pressure nut (piston) then use a heat gun to melt the old lube. Provide a container for the lube to run out into.

11-27-2009, 01:53 PM
12glocks,

As calaloo said.

Recently, I had to remove the lube in my Lyman 4500. Judicious use of a propane torch, along with a coffee can placed on the floor worked just fine. I was concerned about the heat damaging the paint, so I used a low flame and kept it at a discret distance. The paint was not bothered in the least.

woody1
11-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Boil it. Check out this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=65571&highlight=removing+lube

Regards, Woody

atr
11-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I use the same method as calaloo and 462 suggest (a hand held propane torch is very handy) just make sure you have something in place to catch the dripping mess ....also WD40 will cut heavy grease, and lubricant

Springfield
11-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Put it in the oven set on 180 on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels. No labor that way and easy cleanup, and no risk of damage to the sizer.

Mk42gunner
11-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Put it in the oven set on 180 on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels. No labor that way and easy cleanup, and no risk of damage to the sizer.

There is however, serious risk of bodily harm from the owner of the kitchen...

I boiled the lube out of my RCBS Lubamatic; even with a lot of dawn in the water it seemed to take forever. Next time I will be using a heat gun or propane torch.

I highly recommend doing this outside.

Robert

largom
11-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I use a hot air gun. A hair dryer would also work. No way of over heating anything this way. Boiling in a roast pan is also a good method.

Larry

12glocks
11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
All great ideas guys, thanks a lot. I have a couple of types of torches, but, I think I will put it in my gas smoker at 180 degrees over a tin foil pan and let it drip out.

arcticbreeze
11-27-2009, 07:38 PM
All great ideas guys, thanks a lot. I have a couple of types of torches, but, I think I will put it in my gas smoker at 180 degrees over a tin foil pan and let it drip out.

That is the easiest way. Just be sure to pull it out while still pretty warm and wipe the outside down with an old towel (Not the bosses) you can throw away.

Shiloh
11-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I took the oven route. Next time heat guns are on sale at Harbor Freight, I'll get one and go that route If I need to do it again.

SHiloh

blaser.306
11-27-2009, 09:01 PM
The propane torch idea works realy well , The only thing that I did as a bonus . I made a ( half size / Length ) lube stick mold from abs plastic pipe to melt the lube into , that way if you are just cleaning out to change type , speed , hardness of lube you can just re insert the lube right back where it came from and hardly skip a beat !

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
11-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I use to boil mine to remove the lube. I have figured out that BAC White Label lube pretty much fills all my needs so I haven't had to do it in a while... :grin:

RobS
11-27-2009, 11:55 PM
I have set my Lube-o-matic up on a 1/2" aluminum plate with enough on the backside to put a cheapo clothes iron on. I use this system to make lubing easier and then when and if I want to change lube I pull the reservoir plug and sizing die then turn the iron on max. I set a cookie sheet with wax paper underneath for the lube to flow to and then I can reuse it later if I want.

dromia
11-28-2009, 02:54 AM
I use a hot air gun. A hair dryer would also work. No way of over heating anything this way.

Larry

Ditto.

12glocks
11-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks again guys. I thought about running to Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and getting a heat gun cuz I love to get new tools, but I have that gas powered smoker with a nice thermometer on it. I'll put it a few feet up from the burner etc. It seems exceedingly safe,

Heavy lead
11-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I bought a used 450 a few months ago. My slop sink sits right next to my water heater in the basement. My water heater is set on max (no small kids or elderly to scald in my house) any way I just filled in up and soaked after as much disassembly I could do. It was like a new machine when I got done, orange paint and all. Got all the old lube out after a couple of soakings. Use some dawn, it cuts grease.

GP100man
11-29-2009, 12:20 AM
I use a clamp lite with a heat bulb installed , adjust to desired distance for heat needed!!

jonk
11-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Hmm. Hard to imagine a 50/50 lube is so stiff you can't move it out. I wonder, are you sure that's really what it is?

In any case I'd second using a heat gun or torch. It might leave a film of the existing lube but not enough to worry about.

Being the cheap sod that I am, I'd save the old, stiff lube and mix it with something to make it more pliant, then pour it back in. Alox or vaseline perhaps.