PDA

View Full Version : help with powder burn rate

Bullshop
04-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Not shure where to put this so spank me if I am wrong. Got 60+ pounds of powder today at the FB gun show. Lots of different flavers, but a few I have never seen. Would appreciate any tidbits of info to help place a burn rate on them. Most are listed in Wolfs propelent profiles but a few have me stumped.
Win - 500HS
Win - 450LS
Norma - 200
Hodgden - 4676
If I can just place them on my burn rate chart I can take it from there. Thanks, Yall have a nice day now hear!
BIC/BS

Bullshop
04-25-2005, 12:32 PM
WOW!!! all the thousands of years of combined experiance on this board and not a single helpfull responce to this post. I stand in disapointed disbelief.
BIC/BS

onceabull
04-25-2005, 01:39 PM
DaN: THE following from the powder burn rate table in Speers Manual#8: 500 HS,betwixt AL-5 and AL-7,(and very similar to HS-5) ;; 450LS,betwixt Bullseye and Red Dot,a bit faster than old 230P ;;; Norma 200,betwixt IMR 4227 and IMR 4198...Hodgdon 4676, Nada, but 3 out of 4 isn't minor league, Who said,WHINING DOESN't HELP...???!! Onceabull...OH Yeah , there are some loads for these powders in the aforementioned manual..Not up to typing examples,now, if you need , e-Mail me....

Bullshop
04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Onceabull
Thanks thats just what I was looking for. Yes whining helps, it is usualy my first recourse with my wife. If that dosent work I try praise,but this must be used with extream caution as an overcharge can have extended negitive effects requiring more extream measures (spending $) for future compliance. Not to worry about the 0 help on the H 4676 as there is some load data printed on the back of the can that places it about the same as the N 200.
Thanks Friend
BIC/BS

fecmech
04-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Wow--I thought those powders sounded familiar. Just dug out an old Lyman shotshell manual from the 60's and there they were! 450ls was Winchesters fastest shotshell powder according to that Lyman manual. Both were used in the 12 and 20 ga but I don't ever remember anyone using them that I knew.

RayinNH
04-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Bullshop, the best powder burn rate chart I've seen is here:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm

Ray

C1PNR
04-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks, Ray. That allows me to update my Burn Rate Chart in "My Documents" for future reference.:)

felix
04-27-2005, 12:08 AM
WE, that chart has several glaring errors in some very narrow spots. More so than some other charts. But, that's OK because this chart is an industrious attempt to be complete which it is indeed. If you have any narrow questions, please come back on this thread (if it can be found at that time).

BS, I'm sorry I did not field your request myself, but Onceabull was gracious enough to keep a keen eye out. ... felix

TCLouis
04-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Probably NOT true in AK, but here in the lower 48 the 200 was worth a lot of money to those folks hat could not find it any more. It is supposed to be perfect for the 30 Herrett.

clearwater
02-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I have a can of the win 500hs. It is a tiny ball shotgun powder. The winchester
pamphlet warns, in the
data for shotgun, to use primers that are covered to avoid powder getting into the
primer.

Would this make an okay cast bullet powder for the military rifles? 308, 06, 30-40 etc?
Any data out there? Would powder in the primer be a bad or dangerous thing?