PDA

View Full Version : Primer Question?????

helice
11-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Range visit brings up a question. I'm wondering if the Winchester Large Rilfe (WLR) primer is harder than the others. I loaded up some test loads with WLR and again I had a "click". I don't know its cause the rifle has a weak spring or what. I get these about once per shooting session or maybe one in 40-50 rounds. I took the shell out and the primer is dimpled but lightly. I cock it again and it fires. [smilie=b: I loaded up some Red Dot loads with CCI Magnum Pistol primers and had no problems there....??

So are WRL primers harder???

Keep writing guys -- I'm learning. Helice

GabbyM
11-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Usually that's a primer not seated all the way down. Little case prep with primer pocket reamer or at least a cleaner will help.

If your primer is not seated all the way down the firing pin will use it's energy to finish the seating job.

iron mule
11-26-2009, 10:40 PM
CCI primers are the hardest of them all == what gabby said you may not be seating them all the way ,spring may be a little weak or not tight /// one of the most common things that come into the shop here causing misfire like this is guns in need of a good interior cleaning
mule

runfiverun
11-26-2009, 11:29 PM
the new win primers [gold] are more sensitive than the older ones [silver]
i'd say you just aren't seating them correctly especially since you can fire it on the second shot.

Loudenboomer
11-26-2009, 11:42 PM
You did not mention what rifle you were having the problem with. Some rifles with rebounding hammer feature can be a bugger to get 100% reliability with the hard primers mentioned.

helice
11-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Gabby and R5R Thanks for the input. Tuesdays range session was with brand new brass. I admit that I didn't swage the pockets or ream them. I never have on new stuff. I use a Lee Auto Prime II (the one that works on the "O" press, not the hand squeezer). That thing gives a lot of leverage and I may be being too cautious with it. I believe that I can feel it when the primer bottoms out, but that may be a fantasy of the mind.

Loudenboomer, The rifle is a BigBore Winchester. I bought it when I realized that the Big Bore 375 Win. was built to 52,000 CUP some what stronger than the Marlin. I don't know about the rebounding hammer.

This has happened enough that I hesitate taking it on pig hunts. Those little tanks have great hearing and I'd prefer a bang to a click. I appreciate y'all helping me here. I have strong preference for the 444 ctg and would like to feel better about the rifle.

Keep writing guys -- I'm learning. Helice

ReloaderFred
11-27-2009, 03:45 PM
If a primer goes off on the second strike, that normally indicates a primer seating issue. The primer has to be firmly seated to the bottom of the primer pocket to seat the anvil into the primer pellet.

It sounds like the force of the first strike of the firing pin is completing the seating process, and the second strike is setting it off. Ideally, your primers should be seated approximately .004" below flush with the bottom of the case.

Hope this helps.

Fred

atr
11-27-2009, 04:22 PM
what has been said about seating is righ on....

I had similiar trouble with a .308 which lead me to measure the thickness of different primer depths...Win, Rem and CCI,,,,surprise there is a difference !!..so I started using the Rem primers as they measured slightly thicker than the others and paying more attention to primer pocket cleaning...I have not had any misfires since then. Also, if the case head spaces on the shoulder and the shouler is not correctly formed in the die during the reloading process, that is if the shoulder is pushed back to far then the firing pin striking will push the case forward without detonation.

Bullshop Junior
11-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Sounds like your primer was not seated all the way.
Did you clean the primer pockets?

Ajax
11-27-2009, 05:26 PM
woul that really be an issue with new brass?

Andy

arcticbreeze
11-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I agree that it is most likely the primer not seated properly. Look at your other fired rounds, do they look normal? If you are getting light strikes on all of them I would then look at weak spring or worn pin. If the other are normal strikes then check your primers well after seating to make sure none are high.

arcticbreeze
11-27-2009, 05:32 PM
woul that really be an issue with new brass?

Andy

New brass has nothing to do with it. Actually it is probably more likely because most new brass have tighter primer pockets and would be easier to not seat the primer deep enough.

helice
11-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm always impressed with the gracious way y'all answer questions here. I figure that its all but unanimous that i have to be more careful priming. Well stink.:( I was hoping it was someone elses fault.:veryconfu Thanks Y'all. Helice.

Bullshop Junior
11-28-2009, 12:15 AM
New brass has nothing to do with it. Actually it is probably more likely because most new brass have tighter primer pockets and would be easier to not seat the primer deep enough.

Exactly