PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Molds

oksmle
04-24-2005, 12:59 AM
I noticed today while in our local gun shop that he had a couple of used Saeco two cavity molds & one set of Saeco handles behind the counter. When asked he said that they had just come in & were a part of an estate which was being disposed of. One is a #315 & the other a #356. Both are in what I would consider to be very good to excellant condition, as are the handles. There were no price tags on them & since the gun shop owner is not a cast booliteer would probably be open to someone offering a price for them. I don't need them as they are duplicates of what I already have. If any of you guys are interested let me know & I'll go back for a second look or relay any offers.

oksmle

sundog
04-24-2005, 09:30 AM
oksmle, ask if he'll take $75 for the lot. I'd be happy to give them a good home. sundog

Scrounger
04-24-2005, 09:54 AM
I sent you a PM. I would buy all of it but my main interest is the #315. Be glad to let Sundog have the 356 and handles and I'd take the #315. I'd go $35 with shipping for it.

sundog
04-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Okay with me. I'll go $45 for the handles and the #356 (plus shipping). #315 can go to Scrounger. sundog

Pb head
04-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Scrounger, check your E mail

Pb head

oksmle
04-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Okay, since there's some interest, let me go back Monday & take a second look to see if I agree with my first evaluation as to their condition, etc. If he will take $80.00 for the lot I'll buy them & we can handle the deal between ourselves. It will also give me the opportunity to search for any more cast boolit stuff in the boxes.
oksmle

Scrounger
04-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Scrounger, check your E mail

Pb head

Never did get your email...

Pb head
04-24-2005, 06:35 PM
OK I'll try a PM

Pb head

Buckshot
04-25-2005, 01:32 AM
............Don't know about the 315, but that #356 is a heckuva nice 35 cal slug. In my 35 Rem small ring Mauser, I tried surp WC846 and the more I put in, the better it shot! Right on up to a full caseload and 2300 fps! Groups just got smaller and smaller. It's a tidy shooter in my Ruger BH 357 mag too. Won't work in the older BH's with the shorter cylinder, but gang busters in the New Models.

.............Buckshot

oksmle
04-25-2005, 02:34 PM
I got back to the gun shop this morning here are the results:
#315 is in excellent condition. It has been used, but very little. No rust present & the cavities are very clean. No burrs apparent under naked eye. Small amount of lead drag across the bottom of the sprue cut-off plate. (Nothing that can't be cleaned up easily). My opinion: If I needed it I would not hesitate to buy it.

#356 is in very good plus condition. Definitely seen some use, but not mistreated in any way. Both cavities are clean & no rust present. No burrs apparent under naked eye. Also has some lead drag beneath the sprue cut-off plate. But like the #315 is easily cleaned off. My opinion: If Sundog dosen't want it I'll buy it for my son-in-law as a Christmas present.

Saeco Mold Handles: Good to very good condition. Has seen some use & reflects it. Normal dings & scratches. No rust & handles are a tight fit. I couldn't pull them apart by hand. My opinion: If I didn't already have two sets of Saeco handles I'd buy them myself.

Something new as I was scrounging thru the boxes: There is a Saeco/Redding lubrisizer with a #309 sizing die & #35-311 top punch installed. The top punch mates with the #356 boolit. This thing is pretty greasy & I didn't clean much off except to identify the sizing die & top punch. I couldn't locate any more dies or punches for the lubrisizer. There is a slight bit of rust present on the handle & the linkage bar but will definitely clean up. I don't know what this is worth but about ten years ago I paid $75.00 for a used one in about this same condition. Those of you who have used this type of lubrisizer know that the Lyman & RCBS sizers can't begin to match it in quality. I have all three.... Overall the lubrisizer is tight & everything works as it should.... Anyone want it.... How much???

The gun shop owner said he would take the $80.00 for the two molds & handles. He will hold them for me until I hear from you guys.

oksmle

sundog
04-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Oksmle, your a jewel of a feller for doing this. Not sure I still have your address, so send me a PM and I'll get a check off to you immediately with extra to cover shipping -- or maybe just the $45 and hang on to it, cast enough to last awhile, and give it to me later when we meet up somewhere. Thanks again! sundog

Scrounger
04-25-2005, 04:21 PM
I got back to the gun shop this morning here are the results:
#315 is in excellent condition. It has been used, but very little. No rust present & the cavities are very clean. No burrs apparent under naked eye. Small amount of lead drag across the bottom of the sprue cut-off plate. (Nothing that can't be cleaned up easily). My opinion: If I needed it I would not hesitate to buy it.

#356 is in very good plus condition. Definitely seen some use, but not mistreated in any way. Both cavities are clean & no rust present. No burrs apparent under naked eye. Also has some lead drag beneath the sprue cut-off plate. But like the #315 is easily cleaned off. My opinion: If Sundog dosen't want it I'll buy it for my son-in-law as a Christmas present.

Saeco Mold Handles: Good to very good condition. Has seen some use & reflects it. Normal dings & scratches. No rust & handles are a tight fit. I couldn't pull them apart by hand. My opinion: If I didn't already have two sets of Saeco handles I'd buy them myself.

Something new as I was scrounging thru the boxes: There is a Saeco/Redding lubrisizer with a #309 sizing die & #35-311 top punch installed. The top punch mates with the #356 boolit. This thing is pretty greasy & I didn't clean much off except to identify the sizing die & top punch. I couldn't locate any more dies or punches for the lubrisizer. There is a slight bit of rust present on the handle & the linkage bar but will definitely clean up. I don't know what this is worth but about ten years ago I paid $75.00 for a used one in about this same condition. Those of you who have used this type of lubrisizer know that the Lyman & RCBS sizers can't begin to match it in quality. I have all three.... Overall the lubrisizer is tight & everything works as it should.... Anyone want it.... How much???

The gun shop owner said he would take the $80.00 for the two molds & handles. He will hold them for me until I hear from you guys.

oksmle

Thank you. I'm sending you a PM. Send me your address and I'll get a money order. Thanks again.

oksmle
04-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Scrounger ... I just sent you a P.M.

Sundog ... When is your next MBABR Match? I have a Mod. 91/30 & a handful of cast boolits that are too small for the rifle & need to be used.

oksmle

45nut
04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
I have missed out on a few SAECO sizers over on e-bone lately,work rarely lets me get a look at the last day / hours of the bidding. But I have seen quite a few used going for the 80 dollar mark and I have never bid past 70 yet. If that could be offered without insulting him......It should fit easily in a USPS flat rate box for the $7.70 we know of. $80.00 being my top offer but I will await your report.
Thanks again for the info and offering the help.

oksmle
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
45nut .... All he can do is tell me "No!" You did read the part where I was unable to locate additional top punches or sizing dies for the lubrisizer..... I'll contact the gun shop owner tomorrow & offer $70.00, which with S&H should be under $80.00 total. If he accepts I intend to bring it home unless you advise me otherwise tonight.
oksmle

45nut
04-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a plan...and yeap..all he can do is turn it down. It's not going to keep me up tonight and he shouldn't be insulted either. A sale is a sale.

sundog
04-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Oksmle, Saturday, May 14, 0900. If you're thinking about coming up, I'll even buy lunch after the match! We've got a really good Bar-b-que right here in our own little town of Coweta, America! sundog

oksmle
04-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Sundog .... Let me work on it. That's the same date as our match & I really need to make as many home matches as possible to qualify for the Shoot-Off this year. Since I started flying again my time spent at the range has suffered. And my scores reflect that.

45nut .... Roy accepted your offer of $70.00 for the lubrisizer. So with S&H it should stay under your $80.00 limit. It's now resting in its own little puddle of grease on my workbench. I couldn't find any more top punches or sizing dies for the lubrisizer.... Sorry.

oksmle

45nut
04-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Excellent News! PM me with a snail mail address to send funds please..or a plain ole email to castboolits@gunloads.com Not to worry about scoring extra size dies,,I have a Lyman & a RCBS here so plan on using the SAECO for selected runs of 30 cal,45 pistol and .458 Rifle boolits. I have heard they are much faster so long I just need to see for myself. If this doesn't work out then I may have trade goods later.. [smilie=l:

oksmle
04-26-2005, 10:49 PM
45nut.... I just PM'd you.... oksmle

oksmle
04-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Scrounger .... Saeco #315 mold just put in P.O. heading your way.

oksmle

Scrounger
05-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Scrounger .... Saeco #315 mold just put in P.O. heading your way.

oksmle

It just got here, and I am most pleased to see it. Thank you.

oksmle
05-03-2005, 11:34 AM
45nut .... Your lubrisizer headed west this A.M.

Sundog .... Your mold & handles headed east this A.M.

oksmle

sundog
05-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Oksmle, mould arrived in good shape. Thank you, sir. Did you cast some with it while you had it? If not, and you want some boolits, or borrow for a casting session, you are welcome. I cast some already, but not shot. Maybe today since the kids and grandkids more than willingly emptied ALOT of brass for me yesterday. Nice boolits! Check goes in the mail tomorrow. sundog

45nut
05-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Sizer arrived while I was at NCBS,waiting patiently in the mailbox. Thanks !
It will serve nicely I am sure. WIth my current stable of sizers,Lyman 45 and RCBS machine being relegated to calibers I have size dies on hand and the Saeco serving for new calibers. I have some size die shopping to do now......