PDA

View Full Version : Marlin vs. Henry

jack19512
11-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I was in my local Walmart today looking at the guns and got to looking at a Henry lever 30-30 and notice they had a Marlin lever 30-30 also. The Henry was $566.00 and the Marlin was $367.00. Am I missing something here, I actually liked the Marlin better I think anyway but why the big difference in cost? :shock:

pietro
11-25-2009, 08:19 PM
They actually cost the exact same........................... per pound. :roll:

The Henry FatBoy just weighs more. ;)

AND........... It's made in New Jersey, instead of Connecticut.

:kidding:

NickSS
11-26-2009, 04:01 AM
I know a lot about Marlins and little about henry's. The marlin is a good sound lever gun that will last for years. I have shot some henry 22 lever actions and they are smooth and accurate but heavy. The receiver is made from some sort of zink alloy from what I read and the part you see is just a cover to cover up the casting. I have handled the 44 Henry and think it a nice smooth action and probably a good shooter but I think it is also over priced and weights more than I want to carry.

Bret4207
11-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, I wish Henry all the luck in the world, but no Henry I've ever seen was half the rifle a Marlin is. Of course I've only seen a dozen or so Henrys, but....

arcticbreeze
11-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I definitely have never met a Marlin I didn't like. I have met many.

Ajax
11-26-2009, 09:58 AM
i think the marlin would be your best bet. Well constructed and rugged.

Andy

corvette8n
11-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I like Henry's .22's(I have an H001 model) but I think the centerfires are bloated and overpriced.
I have two Marlins a 1978 in 30-30 and a 1950 in the same caliber. I also have 3 win 94's. One post 64 and two pre-64. I really like my 1950's W94 in .32 win spec.
Get the Marlin, better yet get an old Marlin.

StarMetal
11-26-2009, 10:59 AM
If it's a lever action and it has anything but steel and wood on it, it's junk. That's how I feel about Henry's. They are just riding on a good old famous name.

Joe

Mk42gunner
11-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, I wish Henry all the luck in the world, but no Henry I've ever seen was half the rifle a Marlin is. Of course I've only seen a dozen or so Henrys, but....

Joe is right to:
They are just riding on a good old famous name.

I keep forgetting that Henry makes centerfire rifles now. I bought one of the first model that they made because it was supposed to be the same as the Ithaca Model 72. While it might have been the same design, the execution fell a little short; the barrel seems smaller in diameter and it had a plastic front sight and barrel band.

It is still fun to plink with; but it is definately not as accurate as the Ithaca that my friend and I traded back and forth when we were kids.

Robert

S.R.Custom
11-26-2009, 01:01 PM
I bought one of the first model that they made because it was supposed to be the same as the Ithaca Model 72. While it might have been the same design, the execution fell a little short...

That's because the Ithaca 72 was German made... back when that meant something.

jh45gun
11-26-2009, 01:18 PM
For what it is worth the first rifles were sold under the Erma then Ithica then Iver Johnson names Now Henry all the same design that was designed by the father of the guy who is the Henry President. I have a Henry 22 Mag and it with ammo it likes shoots great. At 50 yards I shot a just under a half inch 5 shot group. 4 of them were in a 30 cal size hole the other was a flyer to make it a just under a half inch group. So they will shoot. Yea the centerfires are heavy and pricey but at least they are filling a nitch that some may want. For what it is worth the reciever on the guns I think is a good design easy to get at the internals to clean and what counts is an all steel bolt matching up to the barrel. I get a kick out of folks that bash the Henry for the alloy recievers but think nothing of shooting a 10/22 or a Marlin Semi auto that have an aluminum receiver. From what I have seen on the net most guys that have the 22's say they shoot very accurately. MK42 if it is not shooting to your satisfaction I would contact Henry and tell them of your concerns they will take care of you. Henry has the best customer service in the business. Plus now I think you can get iron bands and front sights.

Lead Fred
11-26-2009, 01:40 PM
The Henry is 100% made in America by a small company in NY, made of 100% American materials.

Marlin is not.

doubs43
11-26-2009, 01:58 PM
The Henry is 100% made in America by a small company in NY, made of 100% American materials.

Marlin is not.

What, exactly, about my 1895 CB Marlin is not 100% American?

StarMetal
11-26-2009, 02:38 PM
For what it is worth the first rifles were sold under the Erma then Ithica then Iver Johnson names Now Henry all the same design that was designed by the father of the guy who is the Henry President. I have a Henry 22 Mag and it with ammo it likes shoots great. At 50 yards I shot a just under a half inch 5 shot group. 4 of them were in a 30 cal size hole the other was a flyer to make it a just under a half inch group. So they will shoot. Yea the centerfires are heavy and pricey but at least they are filling a nitch that some may want. For what it is worth the reciever on the guns I think is a good design easy to get at the internals to clean and what counts is an all steel bolt matching up to the barrel. I get a kick out of folks that bash the Henry for the alloy recievers but think nothing of shooting a 10/22 or a Marlin Semi auto that have an aluminum receiver. From what I have seen on the net most guys that have the 22's say they shoot very accurately. MK42 if it is not shooting to your satisfaction I would contact Henry and tell them of your concerns they will take care of you. Henry has the best customer service in the business. Plus now I think you can get iron bands and front sights.

Discounting the 22 rimfires the center fire firearms that have aluminum receivers lock up the bolts to the barrel extensions, example AR15's and just about all pump and semi auto shotguns. That's a big difference and has absolutely nothing to do with quality on mentioned guns. I don't go for "fake" guns like Henry's brass slip covering over an alloy receiver. If I want a brass receiver by God that's what I want and I will pay for, not a phony.
I've never owned a 10/22 by the way. My 22's are serious quality high dollar firearms. I'd be happy if Henry made a total steel rifle and wouldn't say anything about them. I rate them along with those zinc 22 rimfire revolvers. Now notice, I didn't say they don't shoot good.

Also I'm not bashing anyone, I'm bashing a firearm. Sorry for stepping on the toes of those that own the Henrys.

Joe

Bullshop Junior
11-26-2009, 03:28 PM
They actually cost the exact same........................... per pound. :roll:

The Henry FatBoy just weighs more. ;)

Ever wonder why it is called a FATBOY??

Henry's are heavy, and I like a Marlin better.

jh45gun
11-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Not stepping on my toes Joe I will put my Henry against any 22 as far as accuracy goes. Only problem is with it being a magnum I do not shoot it much to target shoot or plink as the shells are spendy these days.

ReloaderFred
11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
All of my Marlins were made in Connecticut, which I firmly believe is still in the USA. That's over a dozen of them, by the way.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

2ndAmendmentNut
11-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Both the Henry and Marlin rifles are good guns.

I personally prefer the Henry rimfire rifles to the Marlins, more options on barrel length, cheaper, smoother, can’t tell any difference accuracy wise, and I don‘t care about what the receiver is because it is only a 22, the 10/22s have a similarly made receiver and I have never had a problem with it.

When it comes to centerfires I like the Marlins better, the main reason is the fact that even a centerfire Henry reloads like a rimfire. Meaning you still have to twist the magazine tube and extend it like an antenna in order to drop in the rounds, the Marlins on the other hand you just push the rounds through the little loading door.

Chuck 100 yd
11-26-2009, 03:56 PM
NO, The Marlin is not made in NEW YORK CITY !!

StarMetal
11-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Not stepping on my toes Joe I will put my Henry against any 22 as far as accuracy goes. Only problem is with it being a magnum I do not shoot it much to target shoot or plink as the shells are spendy these days.

When I lived in Colorado my best friend I grew up put his 22 mag bolt rifle against my Remington 541-S custom sporter in a prairie dog shoot. I won. Both were scoped and he's a decent shot, but I hit more prairie dogs and also had the furthest shot of 250 yards. And yes it did kill the dog on impact and also mushed his insides up. The round was CCI 22 LR hollowpoint.

So you have a challenge..I'll put that 541-S against your Henry. Title for title?? :bigsmyl2:

Joe

jh45gun
11-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Nope not shooting for guns for one thing I do not shoot it enough so the fault would be mine if I lost not the guns. All I am saying it is darn accurate.

StarMetal
11-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Nope not shooting for guns for one thing I do not shoot it enough so the fault would be mine if I lost not the guns. All I am saying it is darn accurate.

I've never in my life so far seen a 22 mag RF equal or alone beat a really accurate 22 RF.

Joe

ReloaderFred
11-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Just for clarification, I received my new stainless steel Marlin 1894CSS today, and there is a hang tag on it that says in large letters, "MADE IN U.S.A."

I don't know where the misinformation came from that Marlins were made elsewhere, but it's not true, and to the best of my knowledge, never has been.

Hope this helps.

Fred

jh45gun
11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I've never in my life so far seen a 22 mag RF equal or alone beat a really accurate 22 RF.

Joe

Well like I said at 50 yards I had a group that measured under a half inch with 4 rounds going into one 30 cal size hole and one flyer out a bit to make that group. with out the flyer that would have been a darn nice group with any caliber. That was using CCI FMJ. Other ammo shoots tight but not that tight.

doubs43
11-27-2009, 06:21 PM
All of my Marlins were made in Connecticut, which I firmly believe is still in the USA. That's over a dozen of them, by the way.......

Hope this helps. Fred

Exactly, Fred. My 1895 Cowboy Marlin is 100% made in the USA and so is the Model 60SS I also own. If proof is forthcoming that proves me wrong then I'll acknowledge it. Until then, claiming otherwise is just unfounded rumor.

I haven't had an opportunity to do more than a few groups with the 1895 (45-70) but it promises to be a sub-2" rifle for 5 shots at 100 meters which, IMO, is not at all bad for a lever action rifle.

jack19512
11-27-2009, 06:56 PM
All interesting reply's but I would still like to know why the big difference in cost between the two :?:

Dave B
11-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I would guess mfg volume. Also the Henry Looks like it might have more finish work done on it. I have Marlins, but the brass 357 Big Boy looks mighty good.

leadeye
11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a New Henry in 45lc that I picked up used from a disgruntled CAS shooter. My experience so far is that it is no more or no less accurate than my Marlin 1894. It is heavier which would not be fun to carry around but does provide for a somewhat steadier shot. Too flashy to take hunting with all the brass furniture but it is still fun to shoot and looks good when not being shot. I would not pay the premium for it new if I was matching it up to the Marlin , but then I didn't.:grin:

kingstrider
11-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Also don't forget the Henry is a relatively new gun which means they have to incorporate the cost of tooling into the price. I would imagine most of the machinery Marlin uses was paid off a while back and other than maintenance costs their overhead in that area is a bit lower.

Speedo66
11-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Marlin is not.

Their website says the company is in Bayonne, NJ (near Staten Is.), but the company video on their site says they're made in Brooklyn.

As a native NYer I can tell you that the company president's accent is authentic Brooklyn. That family has owned a gun store in NYC at least since I was a kid, and I'm over 60 now. I remember shopping there in the late '60's for a revolver when I became a peace officer in NY.

jh45gun
12-01-2009, 01:10 AM
While the Henry Name on the gun is new the design is old and proven. Like I said earlier it was first marketed by Erma in Germany. Then the same gun was sold in the states by Ithica as the Model 72. Then the same gun was marketed by Iver Johnson as the Wagonmaster. Note the Henry Company bought out Iver Johnson. Also the same company that owns Henry now also had a contract that made the Colt Muskets and the Colt brand Percussion Pistols for Colt before they discontined them. So they are not newcomers in the gun business.

Lead Fred
12-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Marlins parts may not be made here, they and the materials made be imported.

Every part of a Henry is made in NJ, then assembled in Brooklyn. The metal from Detroit, the wood from Tenn and Mississippi.

Ive been all over Marlins website. I own several of them, and love each and every one. Yes like Hondas and others, they are put together with hands that are from north America. Most are likely even legal.

You think if they were 100% Made in USA, they would say so.

My 1979 says made in USA, The 1995 and 1996 do not.

Callem up and askem where thier steel comes from. I bet like Winchester, its west of Hawaii.

ReloaderFred
12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I just received my new Marlin 1894CSS last week, and in very large letters down the side of the box it says "MADE IN THE U.S.A. BY AMERICAN CRAFTSMEN". There was also a hangtag on the front sling swivel that says it's "MADE IN THE USA". The same with the last several I've purchased. All have said the same.

I've talked to the Marlin reps at various SHOT Shows over the years and they've told me their firearms are made in their plant in Connecticut. If you have documentation that they're made elsewhere, then I'd be interested in seeing it. Without documentation, then it's just another internet rumor.

I'll be at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas again in January. I'll again ask the Marlin reps where their products are made. I figure going directly to the source "again" is the best course of action.

Hope this helps.

Fred

doubs43
12-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Marlins parts may not be made here, they and the materials made be imported.

Every part of a Henry is made in NJ, then assembled in Brooklyn. The metal from Detroit, the wood from Tenn and Mississippi.

Ive been all over Marlins website. I own several of them, and love each and every one. Yes like Hondas and others, they are put together with hands that are from north America. Most are likely even legal.

You think if they were 100% Made in USA, they would say so.

My 1979 says made in USA, The 1995 and 1996 do not.

Callem up and askem where thier steel comes from. I bet like Winchester, its west of Hawaii.

I'd be interested in something more than you're offering in the way of proof that Marlins are not "Made in the USA". It's your claim that they aren't so please back it up with hard evidence.

It would also interest me to know what your motivation might be in making your claim. Do you work for Henry or sell their rifles or do you just own a Henry and therefore it must be the better rifle? I'd really like to understand where you're coming from.